Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by guru View Post

The link above is the backstory. Of course this week Ostrander revealed she has been hospitalized the last month for treatment of a long-term eating disorder, which I'm sure comments like Montgomery's "(Ostrander) looks like she should be playing with Barbie dolls" didnt help.
    Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

Did she really say something as dumb and awful as that? That is really disgusting....
    Stones is responsible for that one. Verbatim:

...she may look like she was just playing with her Barbies, but she's the reigning national champ..."

Comment

I will absolutely give Montgomery credit for doing a remarkable job of talking to athletes and coaches and getting some insight into a wide variety of events.

It's harder to excuse PBP people who don't call names correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidokun View Post
        Stones is responsible for that one. Verbatim:
        "she may look like she was just playing with her Barbies, but she's the reigning national champ..."
        That's such a 67yo man thing to say. Back in the day, that was supposed to be a compliment ('Oh, you look so young').
        Obviously, it's just patronizing and belittling. As a teacher of teenage females, I had to learn some similar hard lessons.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          That's such a 67yo man thing to say. Back in the day, that was supposed to be a compliment ('Oh, you look so young').
          Obviously, it's just patronizing and belittling. As a teacher of teenage females, I had to learn some similar hard lessons.
          I'm his age and that is a horrible thing to say.... even 30 odd years ago let alone today. She is in her 20s!

Comment

I'm his age and that is a horrible thing to say.... even 30 odd years ago let alone today. She is in her 20s!
            So, in your 30s, you never complimented a woman by saying how young she looked?
            In today's cancel culture, a lot of 'old compliments' are now HR-material. I NEVER compliment a woman outside my family any more.

Comment

Thanks for the correction Davidokun. I guess Montgomery only gets heat for the "baby faced assassin" moniker. I don't know if she was one of the talking heads that commented on Ostrander's height and weight as referenced in Ostrander's instagram post.
              There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by guru View Post
                I guess Montgomery only gets heat for the "baby faced assassin" moniker.
                Which was a nickname used earlier for Tirunesh Dibaba, without any public outcry that I recall. According to wiki, the same nickname has been applied to a variety of young looking male athletes as well, including Stephen Curry.

While being compared to Dibaba might be a compliment for any female distance runner, I think the lesson has to be that since Body Dysmorphic Disorder is a real problem, especially among female athletes, any attempted comment about stature or appearance is out of bounds.

Comment

So, in your 30s, you never complimented a woman by saying how young she looked?
                  In today's cancel culture, a lot of 'old compliments' are now HR-material. I NEVER compliment a woman outside my family any more.

I have of course..I have known many international female runners who looked much younger. And that is a compliment...However I never would have said they were young enough to play with Barbie dolls, implying they look 10 years old....especially on air... for someone in their 20s....all the many elite women runners I knew would have been insulted...

The few cases I have noticed or known that fit that description are most likely having a serious eating disorder.

Comment

At the time, someone I know tweeted that the nickname Montgomery "created" was not original, as it had been applied to Tirunesh Dibaba previously. Surprisingly, Stones replied during the meet:

https://twitter.com/thejerk1979/stat...86985338060801
                    Last edited by Davidokun; 06-14-2021, 02:24 AM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

I have of course. I have known many international female runners who looked much younger. And that is a compliment.
                      Good luck with the HR people when a woman decides to take exception to your objectifying 'compliment'.

Comment

Good luck with the HR people when a woman decides to take exception to your objectifying 'compliment'.
                        Why not quit while you are already far behind... I have no idea what you are babbling about now.

What Stones said was horrendous...and I will leave it at that. Dwight should just quit before he embarrasses himself even more...like the Teare and Pre time comparison...

I like Stones as a field event analyst, one of the best, but as a track commentator he is awful.
                        Last edited by Conor Dary; 06-14-2021, 02:35 AM.

Comment

an older thread on Jill Montgomery has been reactivated on the Historical forum

https://forum.trackandfieldnews.com/...ill-montgomery

Comment

Oh, dear. With Ms. Montgomery gone, who will there be to remind us that the 3rd 200m is the hardest in the 800m?

Comment

I hope it will be Carrie Tollefson. We need someone who understands distance running.

Comment

It's highly likely to be NBC's Olympic crew. Leigh Diffey, Ato, Kara Goucher, SRR, Trey Hardee, and Lewis Johnson. Paul Swangard is listed but only as calling the field events.

Diffey potentially could be occupied by his autoracing assignments for the OTs.

Comment

Working...
                                X