Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Australia again have a global finalist 100m sprinter in Rohan Browning?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Australia again have a global finalist 100m sprinter in Rohan Browning?

Does Australia again have a global finalist 100m sprinter in Rohan Browning? (theroar.com.au)

Possibly, but probably not.

Comment

Doubt it. Hope he shuts me up and proves me wrong tho.

Comment

Interesting analysis and not far wrong and the 60m indications, I hope he keeps building as he has been and inspires others along the way.

Does Adidas have any carbon fibre plate spikes like Puma, Nike and the rest? I wonder if that innovation will tip Browning over into another range.

In fact I haven't seen any Aussies with the Nike MaxFly spikes in the sprints - Basic and Day race in Nike so maybe they'll get them - plus I've not seen Stratten jump in the LJ version we've seen this year. Clay has run in the Puma ones which are carbon fibre but can't think of others.

Possibly controversial view but we might have seen the impact in the great performances in our distance events the last couple of years, is it now the turn for the sprinters and jumpers?

Comment

Originally posted by Speedster View Post
          Interesting analysis and not far wrong and the 60m indications, I hope he keeps building as he has been and inspires others along the way.
          He's run well this season but, as always, it seems to be harder for AUS 100m sprinters to match domestic performance in the northern summer.

Based on what he's achieved so far, he will need to do a "Tortu" a la the 2019 WC. Filippo, with a preWC SB of 10.10, was the slowest time qualifier to make the final with his 10.101 +0.8 in SF 3.

However, that was the only semi with a tailwind and the only reason he edged out Adam Gemili's 10.13 -0.3 in the first heat. A 1.1m/s net change in wind made the difference in finalists.

So if Browning can run to his PB and have wind advantage over other similar runners, he might make the final. Otherwise, I'd say he's a tenth too slow to have enough reserve to make it throught the rounds.

Here's a table of the Doha top ten times coming into the WC and their outcomes in the competition. Note that Tortu is the only 10+ runner to make it to the final.

preWC Rank Athlete Country preWCTime FinalTime PlaceFinal PlaceOther
          1 Christian Coleman USA 9.81 9.76WL 1
          3 Justin Gatlin USA 9.87 9.89 2
          4 Akani Simbine RSA 9.92 9.93SB 4
          5 Arthur Gue Cissé CIV 9.93 24. SF
          6 Zharnel Hughes GBR 9.95 10.03 6
          7 Aaron Brown CAN 9.96 10.08 8
          7 Yohan Blake JAM 9.96 9.97 5
          7 Raymond Ekevwo NGR 9.96 18. SF
          10 Mike Rodgers USA 9.97 9. SF
          10 Andre De Grasse CAN 9.97 9.90PB 3
          33 Rohan Browning AUS 10.08 40. H
          37 Filippo Tortu ITA 10.10 10.07SB 7

Comment

Browning ran a 10.20 into a headwind the other day.

(33) Rohan Browning runs 10.20 (-1.3) 100m in Cairns, QLD - weeks out from Tokyo Olympic Games debut - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by spartacus View Post
              Hopefully he gets better with competition.

Comment

I first came across Rohan Browning during the Commonwealth games in 2018. I think he missed out on the final. He has most definitely improves since then. From a look at his performances this season, he is certainly having a good season this year. A place in the final is probably a step too far though. He seems to a 10.1x sprinter currently. I would expect to see a 10.10 range from him if he executes a good race. It's also one thing running on the domestic scene and another running on the international circuit.

I pretty confident that Bromell, Baker, Kerley, Simbine, De Grasse and Marcell Jacobs will make the finals. They've shown enough consistency at the highest level this season. This leaves two places. I would edge towards Yohan Blake who seems to be running in the 9.95-10.05 range and possibly Zharnel Hughes (who looked very good at the British trials) for the remaining spots. Browning is still behind guys like Ujah (UK), Tracey (Jamaica), Su Bingtian (China) etc in my opinion. It's not impossible but unlikely. I think a 10.03 is what it will probably take to the make the 100m final this year. I wish him the best of luck though! If there is ever a year for surprises, it's this year.

Comment

Another story on Browning: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/athl...13-p5895d.html

Just ran 10.08w in Cairns too

Comment

I took Browning's 2021 season from IAAF and converted all the times using JRM's wind/altitude formula to produce the following chart. To date, it looks like a 10.10 basic is his limit with him running within 100th of that 4 times during this season, including his much vaunted 9.96 +3.3 in his second run this year.

Encouragingly, his two back-to-back 10.11s represent the end of his domestic season in the AUS champs final and the first run of his imitation northern season.

As I posted above, unless he is lucky, he will need to replicate that in his first round and then PB by about a 10th in basic terms to have a chance to make the final. It's not impossible but it's not easy.

Browning_100mBasic2021.JPG

Code:
                    1 Illawong High Velocity Meet #3, Barden Ridge Athletics Track, Sydney
                    2 Illawarra Track Challenge, Kerryn McCann Athletic Centre, Wollongong
                    3 AACT Ch., AIS Athletics Track, Canberra
                    4 AACT Ch., AIS Athletics Track, Canberra
                    5 NSW Open Ch., Olympic Stadium, Sydney
                    6 NSW Open Ch., Olympic Stadium, Sydney
                    7 NSW Open Ch., Olympic Stadium, Sydney
                    8 Canberra Track Classic, AIS Athletics Track, Canberra
                    9 Queensland Track Classic, QSAC, Nathan, Brisbane
                    10 Queensland Track Classic, QSAC, Nathan, Brisbane
                    11 Australian Ch., SOPAC, Sydney
                    12 Australian Ch., SOPAC, Sydney
                    13 Australian Ch., SOPAC, Sydney
                    14 Invitational Meet, Barlow Park, Cairns - Invitational Events
                    15 Invitational Meet, Barlow Park, Cairns - Invitational Events
                    16 Invitational Meet, Barlow Park, Cairns - Invitational Events

Comment

Working...
                    X