Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I don't use electricity..."

It's OK. There are hundreds of millions of people who don't share your interests, either. That's what is so great about having a gajillion choices these days!

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post

that assumes one is watching TV live, which I basically gave up 20-plus years ago. The only commercials I watch are those crafted specially for the Super Bowl (which all too frequently are better entertainment than the game!)
      Are you saying you don't watch any sporting events live, including track and field?

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
        I'm like that ....I've seen very few commercials on TV in the last 25 years..
        No live TV? Including track and field and Oregon football? What about local news?
        Last edited by jazzcyclist; 09-05-2021, 02:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

No live TV? Including track and field and Oregon football? What about local news?
          I never watch local news..... I read the RG...that is plenty.

I watch track on Peacock these days commercial free.

I watch football but put it on mute during commercials...and do something else.
          Last edited by Conor Dary; 09-05-2021, 03:24 AM.

Comment

• I don't mute commercials, but I don't pay any attention to them at all. I don't know if that's considered not watching.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

I never watch local news..... I read the RG...that is plenty.

I watch track on Peacock these days commercial free.

I watch football but put it on mute during commercials...and do something else.
              This ubiquitous Holiday Inn commercial theme is 23 years old.. This means that for a good potion of the time your only option for watching track and field, the Olympics, college and pro football and other major sporting events was on major network TV. Also, Peacock didn't exist a year ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dOHEw8izno

Comment

Are you saying you don't watch any sporting events live, including track and field?
                on network TV that would indeed be the case.

Comment

• Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                  I don't mute commercials, but I don't pay any attention to them at all. I don't know if that's considered not watching.
                  That's a real phenomenon. 10 people can be watching a football game together and some of those people will stayed tuned in during the commercial breaks and some won't and it's not necessarily the same people depending on what the commercials are.

Comment

on network TV that would indeed be the case.
                    Is that a yes or no? I know you've discussed many sporting events on this board that you weren't in attendance and I always assumed you watched them live and not on a DVR, replay, etc.

Comment

• Gotta admit, living alone for the last 40 years I have watched a lot of TV. I don't pay much attention to commercials, that is when you go to the bathroom or kitchen.

Comment

that assumes one is watching TV live, which I basically gave up 20-plus years ago. The only commercials I watch are those crafted specially for the Super Bowl (which all too frequently are better entertainment than the game!)
                        That's fine and is a viable answer. My comment to Conor was in his response to those who knew what the reference was to which was condescending....as is usual.

The commercials referenced btw...probably go back at least 20 years. These are not current and I think the campaign ended more than 10 years ago. As mentioned above to here someone say "I'm not a.....but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night" and have it understood is not at all odd in most circles who were around 10 to 20 years ago. Of course, to those who don't get the reference...or perhaps one....the reference is too beneath them and cause for ridicule of others.

edit: didn't see jazzy's timeframe comments for the commercial(s) history.
                        Last edited by NotDutra5; 09-05-2021, 05:20 AM.

Comment

This ubiquitous Holiday Inn commercial theme is 23 years old.
                          Got my first Tivo in 2000 so the ubiquitousness of the Holiday Inn commercial was pretty much lost on me. Seeing as how my pre-Tivo brain cells are over two decades old, any of the ones designated to waste their lives maintaining a remembrance of the 1999 Holiday Inn Express commercial info are probably a bit beyond their shelf lives.

And why anyone would watch a commercial these days on broadcast television, outside of the Super Bowl, is beyond me. In the DVR world just record the shows you watch and then fast forward through the commercials; in the streaming world pay the extra $5/mo to get the commercial-free feeds . . .
                          Last edited by bad hammy; 09-05-2021, 03:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
                            .In the DVR world just record the shows you watch and then fast forward through the commercials; .... . . .
                            and for most network shows these days you've got the option of smart-advance, so you don't even have to look at the screen while it's zipping ahead.

Comment

• Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
                              Got my first Tivo in 2000 so the ubiquitousness of the Holiday Inn commercial was pretty much lost on me. And seeing as how my pre-Tivo brain cells are over two decades old, any of the ones designated to waste their lives maintaining a remembrance of the 1999 Holiday Inn Express commercial info are probably a bit beyond their shelf lives.

And why anyone would watch a commercial on broadcast television, outside of the Super Bowl, is beyond me. In DVR world record the shows you watch, fast forward through the commercials; in the streaming world pay the extra $5/mo to get the commercial free feeds . . .
                              Tivo and DVR's don't spare you from commercials when you're watching live TV, and the only time I don't watch sports live is when I can't because I'm not home at the time it's airing. And what about when you're watching TV at someone else's house? I'm sure everyone has done that a few times in their lives. Maybe it all comes down to how your brain is wired, because the Holiday Inn commercials, along Life's "Let's Get Mikey" commercial, Coca Cola's Mean Joe Greene commercial and Wendy's "Where's the beef?" commercial are seared into a part of my brain that can't be erased as easily as Super Bowl commercials.

By the way, I've never got caught up in the Super Bowl commercial hoopla, my attention usually strays to discussing the game during commercials.

Comment

Tivo and DVR's don't spare you from commercials when you're watching live TV, and the only time I don't watch sports live is when I can't because I'm not home at the time it's airing. And what about when you're watching TV at someone else's house? I'm sure everyone has done that a few times in their lives. Maybe it all comes down to how your brain is wired, because the Holiday Inn commercials, along Life's "Let's Get Mikey" commercial, Coca Cola's Mean Joe Greene commercial and Wendy's "Where's the beef?" commercial are seared into a part of my brain that can't be erased as easily as Super Bowl commercials.

By the way, I've never got caught up in the Super Bowl commercial hoopla, my attention usually strays to discussing the game during commercials.
                                FWIW....I mentioned the Holiday Inn reference to my wife earlier. She is less likely than me to scroll through commercials and certainly saw the Holiday Inn commercials years ago. She didn't get the reference either. She tends not to recall as much as I do. When I showed her a youtube video of one of the commercials she did remember.

Comment

Working...
                                X