Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶ '21 mOT 1500: Cole Hocker 3:35.28

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by gh View Post
    but he's still only about #40 on the Tokyo eligibles list
    The 'criteria' say 'World Rankings'. Is that what they meant?

    Track and Field Selection Criteria

    • The top three (3) place finishers in each event at the 2020 U.S. Olympic Trials – Men’s and Women’s Track and Field, June 18-27, 2021 (2020 U.S. Olympic Trials), provided they have met the 2020 Olympic Games qualifying standard during the prescribed period, will self-select themselves via head-to-head competition for a position on the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team for the 2020 Olympic Games.
    • The fourth (4th) place finisher in the 2020 U.S. Olympic Trials, provided they have met the 2020 Olympic Games qualifying standard during the prescribed period, will self-select himself or herself via head-to head competition for an alternate position.
    • If, after the close of the 2020 U.S. Olympic Trials, there is a place or are places in an event(s) on the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team that have not been filled, USATF will enter an athlete(s) or designate an athlete as an alternate, based upon their rank order of place finish at the 2020 U.S. Olympic Trials, and who are on the July 1, 2021 list of World Athletics Qualified Athletes*.

    *As best defined by World Athletics the qualified athletes list: A full list of athletes eligible to compete in Tokyo 2020 by virtue of having been granted a universality place, of having achieved the relevant entry standard and/or of their position in the World Rankings.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Atticus View Post

      The 'criteria' say 'World Rankings'. Is that what they meant?
      the world rankings are a secondary component after the Q-standard..... the two parts are then melded as here:

      https://www.worldathletics.org/stats...oad-to/7132391

      Comment


      • Originally posted by gh View Post

        but he's still only about #40 on the Tokyo eligibles list
        Right. Because the eligibles list is a combination of those who have the time standard, a universality eligibility and the world rankings. In addition, the rankings and time standard qualifications have different periods during which an athlete can qualify.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by gh View Post
          the world rankings are a secondary component after the Q-standard..... the two parts are then melded as here:
          https://www.worldathletics.org/stats...oad-to/7132391
          I figured that, but when they write this

          A. list of World Athletics Qualified Athletes

          vs. this:

          B. their position in the World Rankings.

          It sounds (to this TOE) that we leave A. to consult B.

          Clearly, I've over-thought this!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            I figured that, but when they write this

            A. list of World Athletics Qualified Athletes

            vs. this:

            B. their position in the World Rankings.

            It sounds (to this TOE) that we leave A. to consult B.

            Clearly, I've over-thought this!
            What is consistently left out of the conversation is the paragraph prior to what you presented.

            Qualifying Standards for Men’s and Women’s Track and Fieldevents atthe 2020 Olympic GamesNote: Athletes may meet the qualifying standards in one of two ways:
            The qualifying standards as established by World Athletics, which must be achieved during the period May 1, 2019 through April 5, 2020 and from December 1, 2020 to June 29, 2021, except for the 10,000m, 20km race walk and combined events for which the period is January 1, 2019 to April 5, 2020 and from December 1, 2020 to June 29, 2021. The qualifying standards can be found at: https://www.worldathletics.org/compe...standards/2020.
            Qualify by virtue of his/her World Athletics Ranking Position for that event, according to the respective event Ranking Rules. The Ranking Rules can be found at: https://www.worldathletics.org/world-ranking-rules/basics.
            It's an either/or situation although having the time standard is going to be more immediate and the athlete doesn't have to wait until the final rankings to come out.

            Comment


            • Who is the 3rd person in US team for men 1500? I suggest Craig ENGELS even though Cole HOCKER deserves the spot.
              https://www.worldathletics.org/stats...entId=10229502
              "The fourth (4th) place finisher in the 2020 U.S. Olympic Trials, provided they have met the 2020 Olympic Games qualifying standard during the prescribed period, will self-select himself or herself via head-to head competition for an alternate position."

              Comment


              • The fact that there is this much discussion and uncertainty around this subject means, IMHO, "they" made this way too complicated. Did anyone think we were getting a poor selection of athletes with the old A and B standard system? And why doesn't a 3:50 indoor mile meet the standard? There have to be some people smart enough in WA to figure this stuff out.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Steele View Post
                  The fact that there is this much discussion and uncertainty around this subject means, IMHO, "they" made this way too complicated. Did anyone think we were getting a poor selection of athletes with the old A and B standard system? And why doesn't a 3:50 indoor mile meet the standard? There have to be some people smart enough in WA to figure this stuff out.
                  I doubt anyone thought the old selection was poor. I suspect the plan was to get athletes into the DL and other meets these days that are poorly funded on the cheap.

                  Comment


                  • So someone remind me is Cole Hocker certainly going? I got some push back saying what I thought the process was and that Engles would go, but seems no one is really clear on the process yet

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by GHM View Post
                      Who is the 3rd person in US team for men 1500? I suggest Craig ENGELS even though Cole HOCKER deserves the spot.
                      https://www.worldathletics.org/stats...entId=10229502
                      "The fourth (4th) place finisher in the 2020 U.S. Olympic Trials, provided they have met the 2020 Olympic Games qualifying standard during the prescribed period, will self-select himself or herself via head-to head competition for an alternate position."
                      You're only quoting half the process. This is the missing part:

                      Qualifying Standards for Men’s and Women’s Track and Fieldevents atthe 2020 Olympic GamesNote: Athletes may meet the qualifying standards in one of two ways:
                      The qualifying standards as established by World Athletics, which must be achieved during the period May 1, 2019 through April 5, 2020 and from December 1, 2020 to June 29, 2021, except for the 10,000m, 20km race walk and combined events for which the period is January 1, 2019 to April 5, 2020 and from December 1, 2020 to June 29, 2021. The qualifying standards can be found at: https://www.worldathletics.org/compe...standards/2020.
                      Qualify by virtue of his/her World Athletics Ranking Position for that event, according to the respective event Ranking Rules. The Ranking Rules can be found at: https://www.worldathletics.org/world-ranking-rules/basics.
                      Two ways to have the "standard". Hocker has the ranking so he goes.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by ATK View Post
                        So someone remind me is Cole Hocker certainly going? I got some push back saying what I thought the process was and that Engles would go, but seems no one is really clear on the process yet
                        Every indication is that, yes, he is on the team.

                        Comment


                        • Hocker has apparently turned pro (Nike)

                          Comment


                          • That's too bad....surprised he couldn't work out a Nike deal while still running at Oregon.

                            Comment


                            • https://mobile.twitter.com/jgault13/...82710554091525

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by gh View Post
                                Hocker has apparently turned pro (Nike)
                                Same reason as Hobbs K, not enough competition.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X