Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We'll see how it goes... at least he got one year of college competition....

There is something about the comradery of a college team and training with people your own age...something that helped Grant Fisher...

Drew Hunter has been sort of a bust turning pro.
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 09-13-2021, 09:04 PM.

Comment

• https://www.instagram.com/p/CTxTYb-A...dium=copy_link

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
        We'll see how it goes... at least he got one year of college competition....

There is something about the comradery of a college team and training with people your own age...something that helped Grant Fisher...

Drew Hunter has been sort of a bust turning pro.
        Hunter turned pro based on his potential.

Fisher was always good in college, but wasn't producing world beating times.

Hocker was 6th as a 20 year old with a PB of 3:31 in his first ever international race. Makes sense to go pro. Get that money and focus on the WC in his home track.

Comment

• Originally posted by Juicy News View Post

Hunter turned pro based on his potential.

Fisher was always good in college, but wasn't producing world beating times.

Hocker was 6th as a 20 year old with a PB of 3:31 in his first ever international race. Makes sense to go pro. Get that money and focus on the WC in his home track.
          I know why Hunter turned pro....for the money.... he certainly hasn't lived up to the potential.

With the NIL now it isn't quite as clear that turning pro is your only option.

In the end it doesn't matter... I'm sure Nike wanted it this way so there you go.

Comment

I know why Hunter turned pro....for the money.... he certainly hasn't lived up to the potential.

With the NIL now it isn't quite as clear that turning pro is your only option.
            For small-money sports like track & field, the NIL deals are going to be peanuts unless they go full-on pro.

Comment

• Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

For small-money sports like track & field, the NIL deals are going to be peanuts unless they go full-on pro.
              For many yes....but Nike and the Ducks are a special case.... if Nike wanted Hocker to stay at Oregon they could have made a big payout. What is the restrictions now? They could have paid his pro salary while he ran Oregon.

Obviously Nike or Hocker didn't want that.

Comment

• I'm glad he turned pro. Not a fan. I won't get into the reasons since this site seems more nuts and bolts than others, which is fair and admirable.

I'll appreciate watching the Pac 12 and NCAA meets in forthcoming years without listening to all the blabbing about Cole Hocker. He can take his stretch running tendencies onto the circuit while Jakob and Cheruiyot try to remember his name or that he's in the field.

Comment

For many yes....but Nike and the Ducks are a special case.... if Nike wanted Hocker to stay at Oregon they could have made a big payout. What is the restrictions now? They could have paid his pro salary while he ran Oregon.

Obviously Nike or Hocker didn't want that.
                  To get their money's worth, they'll want him out on the pro circuit, and fully available for photo shoots, press conferences and other obligations of being a pro, without the scheduling constraints of training with and competing for a college team. It's not like in the big-money college sports where the athletes get major exposure on TV while still in college.

Comment

• "There is something about the comradery of a college team and training with people your own age...something that helped Grant Fisher..."

+1. Priceless.
                    Why does it always have to be about money??

Comment

• Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

To get their money's worth, they'll want him out on the pro circuit, and fully available for photo shoots, press conferences and other obligations of being a pro, without the scheduling constraints of training with and competing for a college team. It's not like in the big-money college sports where the athletes get major exposure on TV while still in college.
                      Money's worth for a track guy...as if Nike cared these days....track is basically a hobby for Phil Knight...no one who builds a $300 million stadium for track is worrying about getting their money's worth.

I know a couple of guys on OTC elite since they ran with my nephew in college. If they have any obligations other than racing that is sure news to me.

I think Nike would have get far more exposure if he stayed Oregon. So the status quo would be fine...It could be some other shoe company was reaching out.
                      Last edited by Conor Dary; 09-14-2021, 01:31 AM.

Comment

• I was sort thinking like Conor Dary. Oregon isn't just another school where Nike is concerned. Someone at Hocker's level could almost get away with training through conference and NCAA's with the goal of peaking for World's. Most of the Diamond League meets are after NCAA's anyway so what media exposure are collegiate athletes missing out on before then?

Comment

• Ostensibly, the contract will continue to pay for undergraduate work, and though I don't know his training situation, might he not have changed much of anything - still going to school while training on his same track (with different (faster) training partners)? Still hanging out with the same crowd. The 'staying on the team' idea is way over-rated.
                          Eugene22 is too big a deal for him to worry about college meets. Not using his eligibility this indoor and/or outdoor season and returning in 2023 is clearly not in his best financial interests. Strike while the iron is hot.

On a related note - I hope NIL destroys the shamateur shenanigans of the NCAA. You should be able to run for your college team AND be paid as a pro. This is 20-effin-21, not 1950 AAU.
                          Last edited by Atticus; 09-14-2021, 04:35 PM.

Comment

• The 'staying on the team' idea is way over-rated.

How would you possibility know?

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                              I was sort thinking like Conor Dary. Oregon isn't just another school where Nike is concerned. Someone at Hocker's level could almost get away with training through conference and NCAA's with the goal of peaking for World's. Most of the Diamond League meets are after NCAA's anyway so what media exposure are collegiate athletes missing out on before then?
                              Indeed. His Tokyo and Trials races showed the Oregon season worked fine. Also he could do a lot of racing without having to travel much. So the evidence that staying at Oregon would have been detrimental next year is zero.

Could be Nike didn't want to get into paying college runners to compete. Who knows where that might have led. The NIL is all so new.
                              Last edited by Conor Dary; 09-14-2021, 05:16 PM.

Comment

• Gotta admit, a 2022 NCAA 1500 final of Hocker, Nguse, and Kessler would have been fun to see.

Comment

Working...
                                X