Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Hocker doesn't make the cut-off, it's time to burn down WA's algorithm and rebuild from scratch, as there will be at least 30 runners with poorer CVs.

Comment

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

He would, in effect, displace Engels. There's no "insisting" involved.

Here's the list. Hocker is listed as 42nd currently by rank which qualifies him for the Olympics. He's actually 41st because Engels would not be entered by the US. Hocker would be. The possibility is that he falls behind 4 guys I guess but I think it is pretty remote at this point with just a couple of days to go.

https://www.worldathletics.org/stats...entId=10229502
      If you change this to "three per country" Hocker will move up to #33. (His name does not show up because he is not in the top three in the US. But he would be right behind Grethen at #32.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        If Hocker doesn't make the cut-off, it's time to burn down WA's algorithm and rebuild from scratch, as there will be at least 30 runners with poorer CVs.
        He has the 47th fastest 1500 this year; Mason Ferlic is 49th.

I'm not saying he shouldn't go nor am I saying he isn't an interesting addition to the squad just that he hasn't run the type of time, YET, that should spur the lighting of torches.

As far as the youths are concerned, he'd fall behind Mu, Knighton, McLaughlin, and Harrison on my list of most exciting. I'm likely missing one.

Randolph Ross was missed
        Last edited by booond; 06-28-2021, 07:21 PM.

Comment

• Hocker's PR in the final was the only one by anybody in any of the three rounds

Comment

• With Centro playing band leader it was not going to be a fast final.

Comment

• Originally posted by booond View Post
              With Centro playing band leader it was not going to be a fast final.
              I dunna beleaf that the Tokyo field will let him play that song again!

Comment

• Originally posted by DrJay View Post
                Really disappointed for Engels but he didn’t run a very smart race at all.

my son‘s over at the Wild Duck. He has a man bun and I guess he might look a little like Cole Hocker. Some sports writer gave him his card and told him he wanted to interview him.
                So, six different times at the Wild Duck last night someone mistook him for Hocker, and just now boarding our plane in Eugene, someone else did and said “great run last night!” Any way we can turn this into a money-making venture?

Comment

• Individual speed and placing data for last night's race:

https://twitter.com/athletetracking/...77579438526474

Converting the MPH data to 400m pace, translates to this (with some approximation of course):

Centrowitz was running 52 flat pace at the top of the final stretch. When challenged by Hocker, he ratcheted his pace down to 49.4 with 30-40 meters left, but it wasn't enough as Hocker peaked at 48.1 pace.

Nuguse and Engels ran similar races as far as their placing in the pack. Nuguse was just ahead of Engels going into the final straight. Engels nudged in front but Nuguse found another gear to peak at 50 flat pace and held it for longer than Engel's peak of 50.5.

Centrowitz was holding something in reserve for the straight and had to be very surprised that it wasn't enough. If he had pulled a Chelimo and taken Hocker out to lane 4, maybe he could have held him off. Otherwise, Hocker had the goods.

Engels was never going to beat Centro or Hocker and he beat everyone except Nuguse. So could he have beaten Nuguse with better tactics? Doubt it.

Best three are going to Tokyo.

Comment

• If mile times were considered for their equivalent 1500m value, Hocker would have a qualifying time rather easily. Hocker's 3:50.55 is worth 3:33.48 using the TFN formula, or 3:33 something using World Athletics' own tables (which score an indoor 3:50.55 as equivalent to 3:33.13).

Comment

• Originally posted by Alan Sigmon View Post
                      If mile times were considered for their equivalent 1500m value, Hocker would have a qualifying time rather easily. Hocker's 3:50.55 is worth 3:33.48 using the TFN formula, or 3:33 something using World Athletics' own tables (which score an indoor 3:50.55 as equivalent to 3:33.13).
                      Hocker's highest-scoring meet in the WA ratings is for an indoor mile; are you saying it should have even more points than it does?

ps--now I see what you're saying.... yes, it's indeed a travesty that if converted miles can count for your ranking score, why can't' they be a Q in and of themselves?
                      Last edited by gh; 06-29-2021, 02:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                        If you change this to "three per country" Hocker will move up to #33. (His name does not show up because he is not in the top three in the US. But he would be right behind Grethen at #32.)
                        And does Grethen count, as he is not qualified as a US entrant?

Comment

• NCAA power, so much for that.....long NCAA season....thing. How many NCAAers on the team?

Comment

• Originally posted by Alcyallen View Post
                            NCAA power, so much for that.....long NCAA season....thing. How many NCAAers on the team?
                            Yeah, I hope we can give that a rest now.
                            Hocker&Nuguse here.
                            JuVaughn and Athing did OK.
                            Plus Ross, Jewett, Sullivan, Battle, Cockrell, Davis, Moore, Aquilla.

Comment

• The test might be how they do in Tokyo.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrJay View Post
                                The test might be how they do in Tokyo.
                                That's everyone's test. There are plenty of pros who will do poorly.

Comment

Working...
                                X