Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RunningInCircles View Post

I don't see two 400 hurdlers on the 4x400 either. I doubt that Muhammad will be in good enough shape by Tokyo to run a faster flat 400 than Mu.
    I don't think Muhammad will ever be in shape to beat Mu in a 400

Comment

• Originally posted by donley2 View Post

Seriously, why would she not be considered. Leaving her off would be idiotic.
      Yeah, I can see that conversation in the smoke-filled backroom that some seem to imagine exists...

"We should definitely not even consider Mu. What has she done in the 400? I mean, she's in the 800!"

Comment

• Originally posted by AFelixFan View Post
        Oh, wow, McLaughlin looks phenomenal. I agree with the folks saying a WR tomorrow is possible. She just needs a mostly clean, full-throttle final, with good conditions and a 51.x is quite possible.

I wonder how far back Little and Muhammad will be. Half a second? A full second?
        The WR should go today and by end of Tokyo 3 of the hurdle WRs will likely be rewritten

Comment

• Originally posted by t_monk View Post
          The only thing preventing Sydney from breaking the WR in the 400mH today is whether or not she has someone to push her.
          The reason why I think that McLaughlin won't break the world record today isn't because there might not be anyone pushing her. It will be because her focus will be on goal number 1, which is making sure she makes the team. Which means she will not want to push too hard and potentially screw up.

After all, in the last 18 months she has only run three 400H races, which is not a lot, especially for someone like McLaughlin who has had plenty of trouble in the past with her steps and her hurdling form.

I do think that McLaughlin is in good enough shape to break the world record today, I just think that she won't. She'll have other opportunities later this year to do that.

Comment

• Originally posted by donley2 View Post

Seriously, why would she not be considered. Leaving her off would be idiotic.
            I just think a lot of politics will be involved. They’re certainly adding the top 3 from trials (Hayes, Jonathas and Felix). Then there is McLaughlan who is their darling. They also like Muhammad as the former WR holder. And we haven’t even mentioned Whitney (4th place finisher at trials).

I’m not saying Mu shouldn’t be on the team…. I just doubt she will be. I can see the conversation being that she is an 800m runner while you have 400 or 400mH runners who appears to be a more seemingly sensible pick. And yes, I’m well aware of Mu’s PB this year.

Comment

I just think a lot of politics will be involved. They’re certainly adding the top 3 from trials (Hayes, Jonathas and Felix). Then there is McLaughlan who is their darling. They also like Muhammad as the former WR holder. And we haven’t even mentioned Whitney (4th place finisher at trials).

I’m not saying Mu shouldn’t be on the team…. I just doubt she will be. I can see the conversation being that she is an 800m runner while you have 400 or 400mH runners who appears to be a more seemingly sensible pick. And yes, I’m well aware of Mu’s PB this year.
              Whose darling?

Comment

• Media and NBC specifically.

Comment

• Originally posted by gm View Post
                  Whose darling?
                  SM has been a media darling since she made the Oly team in 2016 as a HSer.

Comment

I doubt that Mu is being considered for the 4x400.
                    The fastest 400m in the country is not being considered for the 4x400m?

Comment

Media and NBC specifically.
                      I haven't ever seen them on any coaching staff.

Comment

No, they are NOT "certainly adding the top 3 from trials (Hayes, Jonathas and Felix)" They stuck in 2 non-400 runners in Doha and it worked out well. The whole "top 3 from trials automatically are in the Olympics final of the 4x400" doesn't apply any more.

What is really going to happen, is that the 4x400 will be a last minute decision the day before the 4x400 final, based on how each of the top 8 candidates ran in the Olympics in their individual events, and who ran well in the 4x400 semi.

The 8 Candidates are:
                        - Top 4 in the 400 at Trials
                        - McLaughlin, Muhammed, and Little, assuming they make the 400H team.
                        - Mu, assuming she makes the 800 team.

Right now, the 4 least likely out of those 8 to be on the final 4x400 are:
                        - Jonathas (because she isn't Allyson Felix)
                        - Ellis (because this year you can't make a valid case that the 4th fastest finisher at Trials is actually the 4th fastest 400 runner in the US)
                        - Muhammed (unless she beats McLaughlin in another 400H World Record)
                        - Little (because regardless of how fast she runs in the 400 or 400H, very few people will complain if she isn't in the 4x400 final)

Jonathas has been dropping her SB quickly the last month, and she has a shot to run herself into the 4x400 final, but she needs to get down to around 49.5 at the Olympics, and hope Felix doesn't break 50.

Comment

• It's gonna be Mu to Hayes to Felix to McL.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChitoAZX View Post
                            My goodness, Sydney looked so relaxed and could have won in a sub 53.
                            Gee, how close are we to seeing a 50.x women's 400H race in the not-so-distance future?

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                              It's gonna be Mu to Hayes to Felix to McL.
                              I can definitely see this.

Comment

• Originally posted by RunningInCircles View Post

The reason why I think that McLaughlin won't break the world record today isn't because there might not be anyone pushing her. It will be because her focus will be on goal number 1, which is making sure she makes the team. Which means she will not want to push too hard and potentially screw up.

After all, in the last 18 months she has only run three 400H races, which is not a lot, especially for someone like McLaughlin who has had plenty of trouble in the past with her steps and her hurdling form.

I do think that McLaughlin is in good enough shape to break the world record today, I just think that she won't. She'll have other opportunities later this year to do that.
                                Possibly. You may be right. But based on the race strategy of the other top competitors she’s likely to have someone in her vicinity till at least the 8th hurdle. If no one is close to her….then that may actual indicate she is going to be close to a WR, because DM & SL will also be running fast times more than likely.

Also, Rai Benjamin REALLY didn’t have any competition. Clearly we saw that the wr could of fell even with the large gap, simply by him going out just a tad bit harder. So we never know.

I would agree though, that her focus here is to make the Olympic team, and not a WR. As it should be…
                                Last edited by _Jay; 06-28-2021, 03:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X