Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RunningInCircles View Post

Shae Anderson is coming along nicely in the flat 400, but her hurdling still needs a bit of work. Her 55.21 at this year's PAC-12 was the only time that she's broken 56 in the 400 hurdles in her life, so I think jumping all the way to a 53 right now is a bit out of her reach. Maybe she can get under 55.
    Yes. Like Cockrell, and a few others, her chance of making the team in the hurdles depends on someone screwing up in front of her. That she likely goes to Tokyo as a relay member is quite a quick journey for someone who didn't run an individual event in the NCAA a couple weeks ago.

Comment

Predictions with some plausible scenarios assuming conditions are good. What do others think?

1. McLaughlin - 51.9 (puts her first stutter-free race together for a WR)
      2. Muhammad - 52.6 (runs a smooth race with Sydney but fades in the last 150 to show signs of her age)
      3. Little - 52.8 (regains confidence from 2018 but still not at the same level as Sydney or Dalilah)
      4. Cockrell - 53.4 (huge PR coming off a great NCAAs)
      5. Spencer - 53.8 (continued strength in the event but not enough to make the cut)

Comment

Originally posted by spikes007 View Post
        Predictions with some plausible scenarios assuming conditions are good. What do others think?
        2. Muhammad - 52.6 (runs a smooth race with Sydney but fades in the last 150 to show signs of her age)
        3. Little - 52.8 (regains confidence from 2018 but still not at the same level as Sydney or Dalilah)
        5. Spencer - 53.8 (continued strength in the event but not enough to make the cut)
        I'll play.
        1. McL - 52.1, with some hiccups because she's going so fast
        2. Little - 52.5, solid
        3. Muhammad - 53.1, still improving - will be ready for Tokyo
        4. Spencer - 53.9, solid
        5. Cockrell - 54.1, still improving

Comment

I worry Spencer is still not healthy after her injury at the Adidas Boost Games and may not even make it out of the rounds.

Shea Anderson will finish in the top 4 or 5 based on her 400m form with Cockrell close as well.
          Im predicting Muhammad will find her form and win again here, with McLaughlin and Little right behind.

Comment

Originally posted by spikes007 View Post

I am with you spikes

Comment

I'm interested to understand why people think Muhammad will find her form and even win here. Based on what? Her times this year suggest she will finish 3rd. Are they expecting Syd and Shamier to make mistakes, or Muhammad to suddenly improve by 2 seconds,?

Comment

Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
                I'm interested to understand why people think Muhammad will find her form and even win here. Based on what? Her times this year suggest she will finish 3rd. Are they expecting Syd and Shamier to make mistakes, or Muhammad to suddenly improve by 2 seconds,?
                In this era of ultra-periodization, it is possible she stayed in heavy training and is properly rested and peaked for NOW.
                We'll find out soon enough.

Comment

Muhammad 2019: 50.60 on flat, 53.61 over hurdles before USATF

this year, 53.77 on flat, 54.50 over hurdles

looks like two different athletes at this point

Comment

Predicition: DM will finish 3rd in 53.70-53.80 and will peak (not saying she will win) in Tokyo where all 3 Americans will be under 53.00

Comment

While the short sprinters are ruminating over whether to double the 100/200, Anderson steps up to all the rounds of the 400 AND the 400H, the most demanding sprint event out there. (insert flex emoji here).

Comment

I'm surprised. Three of you just said you think McLaughlin will break the world record at the trials. Here is why I think she won't - She won't even try. She'll just focus on running a solid race that's good enough to make the team. Kind of like what she did in 2019.

I think that McLaughlin's best chance to break the world record is in one of two circumstances, neither of which is an Olympic Trials. One is in a global championship, along the lines of Doha 2019, where she is pushed by another runner, and she needs to run fast to get the gold.

The other is in a random Diamond League race, where she can just go for it, knowing that if she screws up her steps or whacks a few hurdles, it doesn't really matter, because there's always another Diamond League race in a few weeks.

Comment

I'm with RunninginCircles on McLaughlin's likely attempts at a WR.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
                            Im picking Muhammad to win this as she is arguably the most consistent championship hurdler over the past decade. Shes not too far off where she was before USAs in 2016 (54.37) and 2017 (54.53). So winning in mid to high 52 is not out of the question. But any combination of Muhammad, McLaughlin and Little can win.

I dont think we will see a WR though. Maybe 52.3 at best.

Comment

Originally posted by RunningInCircles View Post
                              I'm surprised. Three of you just said you think McLaughlin will break the world record at the trials. Here is why I think she won't - She won't even try. She'll just focus on running a solid race that's good enough to make the team. Kind of like what she did in 2019.
                              ?!
                              That logic didn't work with Muhammad in 2019 and SM did try to beat her at the Trials.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
                                Im picking Muhammad to win this as she is arguably the most consistent championship hurdler over the past decade. Shes not too far off where she was before USAs in 2016 (54.37) and 2017 (54.53). So winning in mid to high 52 is not out of the question.
                                This has ended up a long post, sorry, but I wanted to have a look at her past seasons, which was quite fun to do:

I agree with gh in that, on paper at least, she looks a different athlete this year compared to previous seasons. In 2016 she had run a number of races before the Olympic Trials and was in very solid form:
                                • 2x 200ms in 23.6 & 23.9
                                • 2 x 400m in 52.6 & 52.9
                                • 2 x 100mh in 13.4 & 13.7
                                • 4 x 400mh between 54.3 - 55.4 (3 under 55)

In 2017 she ran just 2 x 400mh before the US Trials, but both were 54.5

In 2019 before the Trials she ran:
                                • 1 x 200m in 23.3
                                • 3 x 400m between 50.6 and 52.6
                                • 4 x 400mh between 53.6 & 54.3

Compare those seasons to this year, and she does seem a different athlete, on the flat at the very least:
                                • 2 x 200m in 24.0 and 24.3
                                • 1 x 400m in 53.7
                                • 2 x 400mh in 54.5 & 55.0

In addition:
                                • Her last 400mh in 2016 before the Trials was a 54.3 and she ran 52.8 four weeks later at the Trials
                                • Her last 400mh in 2017 before the Trials was a 54.5 and she ran 52.6 two weeks later at the Trials
                                • Her last 400mh in 2019 before the Trials was a 54.3. But she had run 53.6 the week before and seven weeks later at the Trials ran 52.2

In 2021 she last raced a 400mh 3 weeks before the Trials, in 54.5. So in theory she could get down to a sub 53 at the Trials. But....I wonder whether she has the flat form and fitness to do this, looking at prior seasons, or whether she is getting by on her great technique, but will be more like 53.5-54.0? Still enough to get her into the team, but surely not enough to win against Sydney & Shamier?

Last edited by Wiederganger; 06-23-2021, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X