X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Britfan
    replied
    Originally posted by ATK View Post
    Little's mistake costs her a spot on the team.

AMAZING race from Sydney with 51.90 world record, Dalilah in form right in time 52.42, her 3rd best time ever
    Little would hae been the third placer if her trail leg hadn't hit the 8th hurdle. Her form in Europe has shown that she would have been in the mix for a medal. With Little in the field, we could have seen 6 women under 53.00

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by booond View Post
    They are a reference to great athletes. I agree there are too many tangents to make a strict comparison but we likely have enough data from 400h running the 400 to see an approximate comparison at the top level.
    Then we have Wayne Collett.
    2nd in the 1970 NCAA 400H in 48.9.
    1st in the 1972 Oly Trials in the 400 in 44.1.

Leave a comment:

• booond
    replied

I guess its a good guide, but especially when considering the top tier of athletes, I'm not sure they are a great reference.
    They are a reference to great athletes. I agree there are too many tangents to make a strict comparison but we likely have enough data from 400h running the 400 to see an approximate comparison at the top level. Little is a good start as she ran both the 400h and the 400 within a couple months of one another. If you determine she was a few tenths faster at Eugene - pre crash - and at Stockholm then you can back into a number. It's figuring in the hurdling aspect where it gets tricky.

FTR, I assume SM might have a shot at the American record in the flat at some point.

Last edited by booond; 07-16-2021, 08:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

She also ran 52.75 in May 2018.
    Correct. The only reason I noted the 53.60 is because it was "only" a month after her flat race, so closer to a 1-1 comparison of where she was at form wise while the 52.75 was at SECs so closer/during her championship season that year.

I'm just skeptical of the conversion differentials when comparing any event (or even the flat 400-4x4 split). I guess its a good guide, but especially when considering the top tier of athletes, I'm not sure they are a great reference.

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    SM will go low 48 in the relay

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Was McLaughlin's form really that bad in 2018 when she ran a 400m of 50.07 (Mar 30) and 400mH of 53.60 (Apr 27), if going by this 3-3.5 differential?
    She also ran 52.75 in May 2018.

Leave a comment:

• booond
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

Well, you would think she was in better shape at the Trials and the following week in Stockholm than she was in earlier this year when she ran 49.9.
    Yes. The minimum is 49.9 but it is possible she can run 49.0.

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Was McLaughlin's form really that bad in 2018 when she ran a 400m of 50.07 (Mar 30) and 400mH of 53.60 (Apr 27), if going by this 3-3.5 differential?
    Last edited by ATK; 07-16-2021, 05:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s
    replied
    Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post

If we look at differentials between the flat and hurdles, an excellent hurdler in the women's event probably has a 2.5 sec differential, with less able technicians going 3 - 3.5+.
    Like Little with her "throw your hands in the air and wave them like you just don't care" technique. Her diff must be at least 3.3 seconds.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by booond View Post

If your theory is correct then Shamier Little, not the greatest hurdler, is a 49.0-49.5 400 meter runner waiting to be let loose.
    Well, you would think she was in better shape at the Trials and the following week in Stockholm than she was in earlier this year when she ran 49.9.

Leave a comment:

• booond
    replied

If we look at differentials between the flat and hurdles, an excellent hurdler in the women's event probably has a 2.5 sec differential, with less able technicians going 3 - 3.5+.

Looking at her SB, rather than average this year, a 49.0 would mean a 2.9 differential, and I think McLaughlin is a much better technician than that now, so I'd lean more towards a 49.3ish time, for a rough 2.6 differential.

Again, talking best runs this year, I think Bol has a similar differential, so is maybe around 49.7 - 49. 8 on the flat. Muhammad is the best technician and I would say she's now at around 50.0, maybe 49.9 on the flat.
    If your theory is correct then Shamier Little, not the greatest hurdler, is a 49.0-49.5 400 meter runner waiting to be let loose.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by TWalsh View Post

I don't think there is any female 400 meter hurdler that has less differential than 2016 Olympic silver medalist, Sara Slott Petersen. Her 400 PB is 53.39, and her 400 hurdlers PB is 53.55! And Slott Petersen ran the open 400 indoors and outdoors almost every year.
    400 SB's can be misleading depending on what time of year they're run. The reason why Sydney McLaughlin and Dalilah Muhammad's 400 splits from the 2019 World Championships were so informative is because they were in PR/WR shape at the time.

Leave a comment:

• TWalsh
    replied

Looking at her SB, rather than average this year, a 49.0 would mean a 2.9 differential, and I think McLaughlin is a much better technician than that now, so I'd lean more towards a 49.3ish time, for a rough 2.6 differential.

Again, talking best runs this year, I think Bol has a similar differential, so is maybe around 49.7 - 49. 8 on the flat. Muhammad is the best technician and I would say she's now at around 50.0, maybe 49.9 on the flat.
    I don't think there is any female 400 meter hurdler that has less differential than 2016 Olympic silver medalist, Sara Slott Petersen. Her 400 PB is 53.39, and her 400 hurdlers PB is 53.55! And Slott Petersen ran the open 400 indoors and outdoors almost every year.

Leave a comment:

• Wiederganger
    replied

If she were running in Tokyo, I would say 49.00 at minimum.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    Originally posted by J2thaD View Post
    Anybody know what type of 400m McLaughlin can run?
    She has a number of very good 4x400 legs; I think her best is around 48.8 or so. One conversion that I have heard is 0.75 seconds, which would be 49.5, about the same as Mu. Or am I remembering Mu's time, but my mediocre memory is that is the 4x400 Final in Doha.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X