3. Kate Grace

4. Allie Wilson

5. Brenda Martinez

6. Raevyn Rogers

7. Chanelle Price

8. Sabrina Southerland

9. Hanna Green

10. Heather MacLean
    Last edited by gh; 06-28-2021, 02:53 PM.

i think she should have stuck to the 400

Comment

How fast will Mu go here?

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
        Neither event is particularly strong but the 400 is in lanes and the 800 with it's crowd of 1:59 runners is a bit dicey. Get to the front and run solid races and she'll be okay.

Green and Rogers are far off their best right now, which makes third place a free-for-all.

Comment

I just had a horrible thought. We know Mu doesn't have a change of gear at the end (she usually doesn't need one!). What if she tries to save herself in the semi and gets outkicked by a buncha fast-finishers!

Rogers all the way down in 6th?

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            I just had a horrible thought. We know Mu doesn't have a change of gear at the end (she usually doesn't need one!). What if she tries to save herself in the semi and gets outkicked by a buncha fast-finishers!

The others won't be close enough.

Rogers hasn't run especially well all year but if she has her footspeed she's tough to keep off the podium.

Comment

Originally posted by booond View Post
              The others won't be close enough.
              In the final, but the goal of earlier rounds is to conserve energy.

Comment

Yes, Captain Obvious, I/we know that.

But her conservation time is faster than many people's final time.

She should've run the 400 as a safety net but...

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                  I agree. A race in lanes would be easier for a relatively inexperienced Mu in both the trials and the Olympics than an 800 with potential problems like getting boxed in by another runner, and all that pushing and shoving. (But enough about Halimah Nakaayi.)

If not just the 400, then Mu should have doubled. With the 800 only, if she has a bad race in the trials and misses the team, she won't even have a chance to get an Olympic medal in the 4x4.

Plus, if she qualified in both the 400 and 800, then she could always decide after the trials to only do one in the Olympics.

Comment

Think we’re overstating the lack of “a gear” here in this 800m. Even with that, she’s obviously the fastest in the field over 400....I would imagine over 200m as well. I don’t know who in the field is going to outkick her or be able to hold her off in a slower paced race. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Comment

Originally posted by _Jay View Post
                      Think we’re overstating the lack of “a gear” here in this 800m. Even with that, she’s obviously the fastest in the field over 400....I would imagine over 200m as well. I don’t know who in the field is going to outkick her or be able to hold her off in a slower paced race. 🤷🏾‍♂️
                      The indoor NCAA 400 was an eye-opener to me. Even when cut off at the 200, I still assumed Mu could easily pass Roberts on the second lap. Never happened. Yes, indoor is different, but as awesome as Mu is (and she is), she is vulnerable to a kick.

Comment

The indoor NCAA 400 was an eye-opener to me. Even when cut off at the 200, I still assumed Mu could easily pass Roberts on the second lap. Never happened. Yes, indoor is different, but as awesome as Mu is (and she is), she is vulnerable to a kick.
                        Indoors is a different animal.

Roberts ran an almost perfect race against a superior athlete by getting to the corner first and Mu showed that she was a freshman by waiting instead of pushing past Roberts. She accelerated then decelerated and allowed Roberts to move out and make her uncomfortable on the straights. Nothing in this race showed a vulnerability to a kick but a younger runner taken to school by a more experienced one in a different environment. If you haven't noticed the outdoor oval is twice as large and there is more room on the straightaways and curves.
                        Last edited by booond; 06-18-2021, 04:22 AM.

Comment

Completely different ball game indoors.

Roberts when healthy is a high 22.x, 200m runner. Nobody in this 800 field is holding off Mu, in a slower pace race where she also still has juice to kick.

There are no Semenya’s out there.....

Comment

She ran a 1:57 off of a 60 second opener. Tell me how many of the runners here have finished in 57. How many of them have run a 48r. It seems that people are thinking that she has not grown at all, and has not learned anything in the last three months. She might decide to run ahead of traffic, especially if the pace is slow in the heats; then she can judge how hard she needs to go to qualify. A fast start in a heat might lead the others to no risk blowing up and not qualifying.

Comment

I think you're overstating that particular scenario which is much much less likely in an outdoor 800m. If she has to accelerate in the last 50m she could have a problem (such as what Brandon Miller had to do last night) but, other than that she should be fine. I'm more concerned with a fall occurring.

Comment

Working...
                              X