Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That is not the Diamond League Champion any more than winning the sixth round of the DL (non-vertical) field events is the winner.

Comment

• Who cares....a meet is a meet...if they want to give Zurich winners wild cards I can think of worse things.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
        Who cares....a meet is a meet...if they want to give Zurich winners wild cards I can think of worse things.
        They can make up rules, but it does not mean that it is a good rule; little better (worse?) than the Field Event final round. While this might make the Zurich meet more desirable it devalues the other DL meets making them 'high value points' for athletes and qualifying events, except that Zurich can have anyone they want.

Comment

• Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
          except that Zurich can have anyone they want.
          I'm not sure thats fully correct. From my understanding, certain athletes must be given spots in the Zurich final based on the points earned at other DL meets through the year.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post
            Ic

I'm not sure thats fully correct. From my understanding, certain athletes must be given spots in the Zurich final based on the points earned at other DL meets through the year.
            IIRC, that's the way it always has been in the past, but I can't be sure that it's still true.

Comment

• Originally posted by tandfman View Post

IIRC, that's the way it always has been in the past, but I can't be sure that it's still true.
              In this thread there is the comment that they can add athletes (small number), most of the entrants are from the DL; I did not mean to imply that they are free to pick the field merely that they can add to it..

Comment

• Just returned from 3 1/2 weeks camping in the high sierras...to get back on point re: Athing Mu...my sometimes amazing crystal ball says 1:54.88 in Tokyo...it says nothing about whether or not she will win!

Comment

• Originally posted by SoCal45 View Post
                  my sometimes amazing crystal ball says 1:54.88 in Tokyo...it says nothing about whether or not she will win!
                  I will see that crystal ball and raise you a Magic 8-ball, which said 1:56.21, silver medal. Don't know who won.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

Hopefully, assuming she makes the final, pretty much a given unless she trips, then I hope someone takes them out in 28, 55 and then see how close she can get to the WR.
                    Methinks it's a possibility now. She will not want to get tripped up like she almost did in the Trials final. If she goes between 55.5 and 56.0, she need only to go 57.x-58.x, and she will string out the field and possibly be the first in 38 years to break 1:54.00. One or two will try to run with her, but once she gets to the 500 mark, she is going to want to get as far away from that scrum as possible, before the bodies start dropping. We could see a blowout win here. What were her splits at the Trials?

Never mind. I watched it again; 57.4+58.6. If she runs a second faster on each lap (especially given she has popped a 57.x closer before), that gap could be huge, unless Faith Kipyegon is running...

...If not, then If Raevyn Rogers is within 4 strides of silver, she will make another one of those final-straightaway mad dashes to pick off the rest of the field. I'm worried mostly for Ajee' Wilson, though. I hope the Ajee' who showed up at the 2017 World Champs shows up here, and not the one who cracked up in Doha in 2019, with the winner (Nakaayi) running only 1:58.04.
                    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 07-26-2021, 10:13 AM.

Comment

• Britain will get two medals in this event, order still to be determined.

As for the chances of a Rudisha-style blast from the gun I think the chances of seeing it went down a lot after Almanza's blowup the other day. That may have changed the thinking of Almanza, Goule and Mu too.

Comment

• Welcome to the board, Haggis. And great choice of name!

Comment

• Originally posted by Haggis Boson View Post
                          Britain will get two medals in this event, order still to be determined.

As for the chances of a Rudisha-style blast from the gun I think the chances of seeing it went down a lot after Almanza's blowup the other day. That may have changed the thinking of Almanza, Goule and Mu too.
                          When I hear doubts about Mu's ability to front-run the 800, I think back to her INdoor 600 of 1:23.57--2nd A-T World, and 0.02 better than Alysia Montano ran!
                          I hesitate to think how fast she could do a 600 (OUTdoors) now--maybe 1:21??
                          If she goes 27 & 28 (55), then 29 (1:24), I don't see any reason she can't add at least a 30 to that--for a 1:54.
                          Leading all the way!
                          That INdoor 600 spoke volumes!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Haggis Boson View Post
                            Britain will get two medals in this event, order still to be determined.
                            The British girls dominated the Americans in early US races (mostly with out US top 3). Think Muir is actually top Brit over 800.

Comment

• Originally posted by tandfman View Post

IIRC, the first time she became prominent (at the indoor nationals), they pronounced it Mo, and it's always been that way since then. But I've now heard the tv commentators at the Trials pronounce her first name a THING, stressing the second syllable, which seems very odd to me. (I have no ides how she pronounces it.)
                              Her instagram page includes a pronunciation guide. Although it does not precisely address the second syllable emphasis, it does seem to support what TV commentators have been using.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post

The British girls dominated the Americans in early US races (mostly with out US top 3). Think Muir is actually top Brit over 800.
                                Mu ran in zero of those races.

Comment

Working...
                                X