Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    The indoor NCAA 400 was an eye-opener to me. Even when cut off at the 200, I still assumed Mu could easily pass Roberts on the second lap. Never happened. Yes, indoor is different, but as awesome as Mu is (and she is), she is vulnerable to a kick.
    Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    I think you're overstating that particular scenario which is much much less likely in an outdoor 800m. If she has to accelerate in the last 50m she could have a problem (such as what Brandon Miller had to do last night) but, other than that she should be fine. I'm more concerned with a fall occurring.
    I re-refer you to my statement. That's my only point. I do expect Mu will win.

Comment

I just had a horrible thought. We know Mu doesn't have a change of gear at the end (she usually doesn't need one!). What if she tries to save herself in the semi and gets outkicked by a buncha fast-finishers!

Rogers all the way down in 6th?
      Are you sure? Has she really been challenged when it counted and had to dig deeper?

Comment

I just had a horrible thought. We know Mu doesn't have a change of gear at the end (she usually doesn't need one!). What if she tries to save herself in the semi and gets outkicked by a buncha fast-finishers!

Rogers all the way down in 6th?
        Who exactly are these "fast-finishers" that you're talking about? Hannah Green? Sabrina Southerland? Brenda Martinez? Kate Grace? The top 3 in the semi automatically make the final, so Mu would have to be outkicked by at least 3 women. I don't think there will be 3 women in her semi who can outkick her.

Even if Ajee Wilson and Raevyn Rogers were in Mu's semi, that's still only 2 women who MIGHT be able to outkick Mu.

Comment

☝🏾☝🏾☝🏾 Thank You RunningInCircles. Lol.

like Dutra mentioned....somebody falling in a crowded pack may be more of a concern than Mu being out kicked by several competitors.

Comment

The women's 800 heat sheets are out. What is normally 32 women (4 heats of 8 women) grew this year to 46 women (5 heats of 9/10 women). But since 3 scratched (Elle Purrier St. Pierre, Shannon Osika, Heather MacLean) there ended up being 3 heats of 9 women and 2 heats of 8 women.

Only 2 Auto Qualifiers! - Because of the large field there will be only 2 auto qualifiers from each of the 5 heats, which should make the 1st round very competitive. In fact, this event might have the most interesting 1st round of the trials.

Some of the interesting stories in this event are:
            Old vs Young - 3 veterans in possible their last trials (Brenda Martinez, Kate Grace, Chanelle Price) vs 3 high schoolers in their first (Juliette Whittaker, Roisin Willis, Sophia Gorriaran).

Battle of the NCAA Stars - In an unusual twist, entered in the 800 are the NCAA fastest times this year in the 400 (Athing Mu), the 800 (Michaela Meyer), and the 1500 (Sage Hurta).

Bouncing Back - After finishing last in their previous races, Nikki Hiltz (last in the trials 1500) and Amber Tanner (last in the NCAA 800) are looking to redeem themselves.

A. Wilson - Which one to root for? Ajee or Allie or Avi'Tal ?

Doublers - Not content with running just the 1500, five of the 1500 finalists are also in the 800 - Cory McGee, Helen Schlachtenhaufen, Nikki Hiltz, Sinclaire Johnson, Rebecca Mehra. (Shannon Osika, who barely missed the 1500 team by .09, apparently decided she couldn't make the team in the 800 either, and scratched.)

It should be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by RunningInCircles View Post
              The women's 800 heat sheets are out.
              H1 - McGee, Price, Hurta
              H2 - Martinez, Watson, Mu, Green
              H3 - Allie W, Meyer, Ajee' W
              H4 - Edwards, Johnson, Southerland
              H5 - Rogers, Akins, Grace

Comment

H1 - McGee, Price, Hurta
                I don't see any of the trio of High Schoolers in your list of top contenders!
                Juliette Whittaker
                Roisin Willis
                Sophia Gorriaran
                Are you dismissing ALL of them as not even making it to the Semis??

BTW, Whittaker is in Heat 1, Willis in Heat 3, and Gorriaran in Heat 5!
                Last edited by aaronk; 06-23-2021, 04:24 PM.

Comment

H1 - McGee, Price, Hurta
                  Mu in there with the human bowling ball has me concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by RunningInCircles View Post
                    The women's 800 heat sheets are out. What is normally 32 women (4 heats of 8 women) grew this year to 46 women (5 heats of 9/10 women). But since 3 scratched (Elle Purrier St. Pierre, Shannon Osika, Heather MacLean) there ended up being 3 heats of 9 women and 2 heats of 8 women.

Only 2 Auto Qualifiers! - Because of the large field there will be only 2 auto qualifiers from each of the 5 heats, which should make the 1st round very competitive. In fact, this event might have the most interesting 1st round of the trials.

Some of the interesting stories in this event are:
                    Old vs Young - 3 veterans in possible their last trials (Brenda Martinez, Kate Grace, Chanelle Price) vs 3 high schoolers in their first (Juliette Whittaker, Roisin Willis, Sophia Gorriaran).

Battle of the NCAA Stars - In an unusual twist, entered in the 800 are the NCAA fastest times this year in the 400 (Athing Mu), the 800 (Michaela Meyer), and the 1500 (Sage Hurta).

Bouncing Back - After finishing last in their previous races, Nikki Hiltz (last in the trials 1500) and Amber Tanner (last in the NCAA 800) are looking to redeem themselves.

A. Wilson - Which one to root for? Ajee or Allie or Avi'Tal ?

Doublers - Not content with running just the 1500, five of the 1500 finalists are also in the 800 - Cory McGee, Helen Schlachtenhaufen, Nikki Hiltz, Sinclaire Johnson, Rebecca Mehra. (Shannon Osika, who barely missed the 1500 team by .09, apparently decided she couldn't make the team in the 800 either, and scratched.)

It should be interesting.
                    Entertaining... thanks.

No youngs have a chance though Willis looked good in New York

Grace always seems as a possible medalist and this year it is a bit of a scrum for bronze.

Hurta and Mayer smell like semifinalists but maybe one gets in the final. If Mu doesn't get in it will fuel a discussion for the next twenty years.

Hiltz and Tanner will be happy with semifinal appearances.

Ajee... in, Allie... maybe, Avi'Tal... better luck next time.

Will McGee show and why? Why not Osika, is the better question? The rest are fodder.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

Mu in there with the human bowling ball has me concerned.
                      In the end she's too fast. Get out of harm's way early and cruise in the heat.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post

I don't see any of the trio of High Schoolers in your list of top contenders!
                        Juliette Whittaker
                        Roisin Willis
                        Sophia Gorriaran
                        Are you dismissing ALL of them as not even making it to the Semis??

BTW, Whittaker is in Heat 1, Willis in Heat 3, and Gorriaran in Heat 5!
                        As good as they are for high schoolers, the fastest one, Roisin Willis, has only the 19th fastest qualifying time at 2:00.78. Since only the top 16 qualify for the semis, and Willis doesn't have experience at this level, it won't be easy for her and the other 2 high schoolers to advance.

Their best shot is to get lucky enough to be in a really fast heat where they finish 4th or 5th, but the race is so fast they advance with one of the six time qualifiers.

Whittaker and Gorriaran don't like to go out fast, and I think they will both get lost in the pack.

Of the three, Willis has the best shot if she does an Isaiah Jewett and grabs the lead at 200 and goes for it. Ajee Wilson is all the way out in lane 8 and Willis is in lane 4, so Willis could grab the rail, push the pace, and hope Ajee won't speed up and pass her before the 200 mark. Then Ajee would probably just tuck in and not try to pass her until 500 - 600. It's unlikely that Willis would finish in the top 2, but if she can push the pace to finish around 2:01.0 to 2:01.5 that should be good enough for her to advance on time.

Comment

H1 - McGee, Price, Hurta
                          I'm going to go with:

H1 - McGee, Price, Barton
                          H2 - Mu, Green, Martinez
                          H3 - Ajee Wilson, Allie Wilson, Meyer, Willis
                          H4 - Johnson, Edwards, Southerland
                          H5 - Rogers, Grace, Akins

If McGee scratches, I'll pick Hurta (in H1) to get through.

The reality is that at least one of these heats will probably be very slow, and only the top 2 will get through. I'm just not sure which heat that will be.

Comment

Originally posted by _Jay View Post
                            ☝🏾☝🏾☝🏾 Thank You RunningInCircles. Lol.

like Dutra mentioned....somebody falling in a crowded pack may be more of a concern than Mu being out kicked by several competitors.
                            Which is why I think playtime will be over at around 450-500, and Mu will go full Jelimo to put as much distance between her and that scrum to avoid another smash-up...

...Did someone say she went 60+57 in her CR? If she does that again, it's game over, man! I'm more worried about Ajee' waiting too long to separate herself from the pack and putting herself in danger of getting nipped at the line (à la George Kersh twice) for that 3rd spot.
                            Last edited by CookyMonzta; 06-24-2021, 07:45 AM.

Comment

I'm more concerned with a fall in the early rounds. Mu can run a steady 1:59 and qualify likely easily in the heats and semi as well however athletes are known to not do what we spectators think is the easy answer when it comes to strategy.

Comment

I'm going real light on the Mu hype till this thing is done!

Comment

Working...
                                X