X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by SoCal45 View Post
    my sometimes amazing crystal ball says 1:54.88 in Tokyo...it says nothing about whether or not she will win!
    I will see that crystal ball and raise you a Magic 8-ball, which said 1:56.21, silver medal. Don't know who won.

Leave a comment:

• SoCal45
    replied
    Just returned from 3 1/2 weeks camping in the high sierras...to get back on point re: Athing Mu...my sometimes amazing crystal ball says 1:54.88 in Tokyo...it says nothing about whether or not she will win!

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman View Post

IIRC, that's the way it always has been in the past, but I can't be sure that it's still true.
    In this thread there is the comment that they can add athletes (small number), most of the entrants are from the DL; I did not mean to imply that they are free to pick the field merely that they can add to it..

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by ATK View Post
    Ic

I'm not sure thats fully correct. From my understanding, certain athletes must be given spots in the Zurich final based on the points earned at other DL meets through the year.
    IIRC, that's the way it always has been in the past, but I can't be sure that it's still true.

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
    except that Zurich can have anyone they want.
    I'm not sure thats fully correct. From my understanding, certain athletes must be given spots in the Zurich final based on the points earned at other DL meets through the year.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Who cares....a meet is a meet...if they want to give Zurich winners wild cards I can think of worse things.
    They can make up rules, but it does not mean that it is a good rule; little better (worse?) than the Field Event final round. While this might make the Zurich meet more desirable it devalues the other DL meets making them 'high value points' for athletes and qualifying events, except that Zurich can have anyone they want.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Who cares....a meet is a meet...if they want to give Zurich winners wild cards I can think of worse things.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    That is not the Diamond League Champion any more than winning the sixth round of the DL (non-vertical) field events is the winner.

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Is Zurich winner-take-at with regards to World Championship wild cards?
    Yes. I think 2017 was the first year where the winner of the final was the overall winner, regardless of the points acquired during the full season.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Is Zurich winner-take-at with regards to World Championship wild cards?

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    At one point, I'm pretty sure, the DL Final was allowed to add "wild card" people to ensure the best fields, but they may well have changed that proviso.
    I think that will still be the case, especially this year.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Crazy not having Mu in Zurich....oh well their loss and Prefontaine's gain.... electric to watch in person. My favorite at the NCAAs and Trials.
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 07-23-2021, 06:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    At one point, I'm pretty sure, the DL Final was allowed to add "wild card" people to ensure the best fields, but they may well have changed that proviso.

Leave a comment:

• Big Tusk
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post

that will require beating Mu and everybody else in Zürich
    Will Mu be in Zurich? This link states that athletes must compete in their discipline at least 4x to be eligible for Zurich: https://worldathletics.org/competiti...allocated-2021. There are only 4 DL meets on the calendar between Tokyo and Zurich, and I don't think the women's 800m will be on the calendar at all 4, so it may be impossible for her to qualify.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

Considering how good Grace has looked since the Trials, what are the chances that she can win the Diamond League this year so that she doesn't have to worry about making the team next year?
    that will require beating Mu and everybody else in Zürich

Leave a comment:

Working...
X