X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
    From heartache at the Olympic trials to a personal best days later. Kate Grace and the cruel world of track and field. (yahoo.com)

After Kate Grace failed to make the Olympic track team last month, she didn’t have time to feel bad for herself, or at least not right away. About 20 minutes after finishing a disappointing seventh in the women’s 800 meters at the Olympic Trials in Eugene, Ore., her coach told her that she had an opportunity to race an elite international field — in three days, in Oslo, Norway.
    Considering how good Grace has looked since the Trials, what are the chances that she can win the Diamond League this year so that she doesn't have to worry about making the team next year?

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied
    From heartache at the Olympic trials to a personal best days later. Kate Grace and the cruel world of track and field. (yahoo.com)

After Kate Grace failed to make the Olympic track team last month, she didn’t have time to feel bad for herself, or at least not right away. About 20 minutes after finishing a disappointing seventh in the women’s 800 meters at the Olympic Trials in Eugene, Ore., her coach told her that she had an opportunity to race an elite international field — in three days, in Oslo, Norway.

Leave a comment:

• Jaguarclaws
    replied
    Man that would be great but Semenya could run a great 400 tpp

Leave a comment:

• cigar95
    replied
    Originally posted by Jaguarclaws View Post
    Can you imagine a race with Mu, Miller-Uibo, Nassar, and Semenya!? Crazy huh
    600 meters?

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by _Jay View Post
    Now that the trials are over, what are our thoughts on Mu’s “gears” when in a race with the best in the world? 😉
    She does indeed only have one gear - high.

Leave a comment:

• Jaguarclaws
    replied
    Can you imagine a race with Mu, Miller-Uibo, Nassar, and Semenya!? Crazy huh

Leave a comment:

• Jaguarclaws
    replied
    To me she is a bigger more athletic Jearl Miles. I would say the 800. She has more speed than any other 800 runner.

Leave a comment:

• _Jay
    replied
    Now that the trials are over, what are our thoughts on Mu’s “gears” when in a race with the best in the world? 😉

Leave a comment:

• booond
    replied
    Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post

I always figured that Mu was between 50%-75% likely win, especially with Ajee not looking that good. Maybe she thought she could get in with a secondary peak and is still working at being at the peak for Tokyo, not at the Trials.
    Ajee's problem is an age-old one in that she has faster competitors and must produce faster times to compete. She ran 4:05 in 2018. It might be time to head to the 1500.

Leave a comment:

• ThrowsMom
    replied
    watching Mu run reminded me so much of Alberto Juantorena's stride... which makes me wonder if we won't be treated to a 400m/800m double in Paris!

Leave a comment:

• booond
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

After looking at the straight-on view I lay 100% of the blame on Akins. She was the one moving erratically not Mu. However, Mu needs to be conscious of the fact that many runners aren't used to competing against runners with her long stride and backkick and she will have to deal with careless runners like Akins throughout her career. Thank God Mu doesn't have the Morgan Uceny disease and was able to stay on her feet.
    I'm not affixing blame. Mu ran to the middle where the most runners congregate and where it is most dangerous. Thankfully, for her, nothing but a misstep occurred.

BTW, my position that she should've doubled to secure a spot and alleviate the risk in the 800 thankfully wasn't a realized prediction of doom.
    Last edited by booond; 06-29-2021, 04:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

Interesting. Semenya's records still count even though she is banned?
    she was eligible under the rules in play at the time

(and to put a more precise point on it, she's not "banned" now; just restricted as to which events she can compete in)

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by booond View Post
    Mu needs to do better on the break. Take your time getting to the first lane. The stumble happened because she ended up directly in the middle where there is likely the most trouble.
    After looking at the straight-on view I lay 100% of the blame on Akins. She was the one moving erratically not Mu. However, Mu needs to be conscious of the fact that many runners aren't used to competing against runners with her long stride and backkick and she will have to deal with careless runners like Akins throughout her career. Thank God Mu doesn't have the Morgan Uceny disease and was able to stay on her feet.

Leave a comment:

• scottmitchell74
    replied
    Originally posted by cigar95 View Post
    Despite being 2 seconds off the WJR, Mu moves to #3 on the all-time list behind only Jelimo and Semenya.
    Interesting. Semenya's records still count even though she is banned?

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    I expected Mu to win, but at the same time, when Ajee and RR were close at 600, I thought Mu would get 3rd. She didn't really separate till almost 700m, but then . . . wow.
    I have said before that she didn't have that last gear in a kicker's race, but once again, I fell for the turnover vs. stride-length illusion. She is so powerful for such a young athlete!
    I always figured that Mu was between 50%-75% likely win, especially with Ajee not looking that good. Maybe she thought she could get in with a secondary peak and is still working at being at the peak for Tokyo, not at the Trials.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X