replied
    Originally posted by RunningInCircles View Post

I'm going to go with:

H1 - McGee, Price, Barton
    H2 - Mu, Green, Martinez
    H3 - Ajee Wilson, Allie Wilson, Meyer, Willis
    H4 - Johnson, Edwards, Southerland
    H5 - Rogers, Grace, Akins

If McGee scratches, I'll pick Hurta (in H1) to get through.

The reality is that at least one of these heats will probably be very slow, and only the top 2 will get through. I'm just not sure which heat that will be.
    I got 75% right (12 out of 16 right) in the 1st round. Let's see if I can do better than that in the semis.

S1 - Mu, Price, Grace, Green
    S2 - Ajee WIlson, Allie Wilson, Rogers, Southerland

It would be nice to see one of the two high schoolers get through (Roisin Willis, Juliette Whittaker) but that's going to be difficult for them to pull off, unless some of the veterans have an off day.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post

paging Mary Cain!
    Indeed all pikers compared to the Cain rollout.

Leave a comment:

• Steele
    replied
    That's insightful, 18.99, TY.

Leave a comment:

• cigar95
    replied

paging Mary Cain!
    Whatever happened to that kid . . . .. Mindo? Mundo? I thought for sure he'd be good.

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s
    replied
    Originally posted by Steele View Post
    I understand her parents are from Sudan. So when the name is anglicanized ( or whatever the term would be), wouldn't one choose to use the letters of the English alphabet the correspond to the desired pronunciation?

That's like saying my name is pronounced Bond. Spelled Cant. Because those are the letters I chose in my new language.
    I suspect the spelling wasn't entirely up to her parents. During the immigration process, a translator provides a certified English translation of foreign-language birth certificates and other documents, and immigrants who are worried about disrupting or delaying the process are less inclined to quibble with what the translator came up with.

And some new immigrants don't know enough about English and its alphabet to realize that there is even anything to quibble about. If I moved to Russia or Japan I would have no knowledge to question whatever a translator did with my name.

It could be that the name in their native language is pronounced more like "Muhh" which almost sounds like Mo, but the translator decided on Mu so that's what they stuck with and couldn't bother to change the spelling after completing the immigration process.

Leave a comment:

• Wiederganger
    replied
    Great, mature racing from Mu in that first round. The only way she can be beaten is if the others try and crowd her, but they wont/aren't able to. (come Tokyo that may possibly be a tactic others use - you can bet if RUS had not been sanctioned, they would have run some sort of team race to surround her!)

What was telling was in her post race interview she sounded even less breathless than the sprinters and 400m runners!

Leave a comment:

• Steele
    replied
    Brought the comedians out.

I understand her parents are from Sudan. So when the name is anglicanized ( or whatever the term would be), wouldn't one choose to use the letters of the English alphabet the correspond to the desired pronunciation?

That's like saying my name is pronounced Bond. Spelled Cant. Because those are the letters I chose in my new language.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Can someone explain how you get a long O sound from a U?
    Because the name is Sudanese, not English (or even Romance language).

Leave a comment:

replied
    Can someone explain how you get a long O sound from a U?
    70,000 people watching Mu pass another team in the last 300 meters of the Olympic 4x400?

Leave a comment:

• CookyMonzta
    replied
    Originally posted by 1.609 View Post
    Come the final, Mu should be able to cruise through in 56 and then go 59-60. 6.43 seconds off your best (and very recent) 400 is definitely conservative.
    I'll bet on 58+57. She'll recognize the possibility of another smash-up, and she will want to get out of the way at the point where Pamela Jelimo used to make her move. Ajee' had better cover that move, or the same thing that happened in Doha will happen again, and it will be for the 3rd spot, possibly Southerland taking it.

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied
    Willis & Whittaker make the semis!
    Mehra edges Hiltz for final spot by 0.001 seconds!!

Leave a comment:

• beebee
    replied
    Nervous about Mu...tough crowd...they'll hang with her....I hope for no stumbles, or falls.

Mu, Wilson and Rogers.

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied

errr, put your lips in a circle?
    That's Athing to ask Mu!
    LOL

Leave a comment:

replied
    Come the final, Mu should be able to cruise through in 56 and then go 59-60. 6.43 seconds off your best (and very recent) 400 is definitely conservative.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X