Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Amateurism Lawsuit

SCOTUS just decided 9-0 that creating a business that relies entirely on the non-payment of the workforce is illegal. Just a matter of time before Amateurism, as we have known it, is dead and gone from the NCAA.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

I'm not verklempt.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/21/polit...urt/index.html
    Last edited by MJR; 06-21-2021, 04:35 PM.

"track meets in Eugene" got a mention!

Comment

Hmmm???? I may have been a professional athlete. Back in 1950-51, I (and others) was paid $20/month to sweep the basketball court at halftime for four games/year.... that and compete in four or five track and field events every Saturday during the season. Basketball players "officiated" at track meets.

Comment

This only really applies to those schools who actually make a profit, and there aren't many of them. Hopefully they will bill athletes at schools who show a loss.
        If I were a student who had to pay a "service fee" every semester to support a money-losing program, I would be more than upset if any of the players were taking in cash on the side without handing that over to those students who pay the fee.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
          Jolly good.

Comment

That would take all the fun out of stories like "Athing Mu Going Pro!".
            LOL

Comment

I read the main opinion, not the concurring opinion. The NCAA can still restrict non-educational sources of student-athlete funding, such as internships with shoe companies and a school paying for an expensive car for the athlete. Full decision is at 20-512 National Collegiate Athletic Assn. v. Alston (06/21/2021) (supremecourt.gov).

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
                Justice Kavanaugh clearly a fan of college sports.

Comment

Originally posted by ralmcg View Post
                  I read the main opinion, not the concurring opinion. The NCAA can still restrict non-educational sources of student-athlete funding, such as internships with shoe companies and a school paying for an expensive car for the athlete. Full decision is at 20-512 National Collegiate Athletic Assn. v. Alston (06/21/2021) (supremecourt.gov).
                  One of the Justices commented that the broader question about paying for playing. Basically, he thought that it would be applicable beyond the scope of the current ruling, and if treated like virtually any other industry the restrictions would not be legal.

Comment

Originally posted by ralmcg;n1697955The NCAA can still restrict non-educational sources of student-athlete funding, such as internships with shoe companies and a school paying for an expensive car for the athlete. /URL
                    But can they still restrict athletes making money outside the college system, like T&F athletes earning prize money in the DL?
                    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post

But can they still restrict athletes making money outside the college system, like T&F athletes earning prize money in the DL?
                      that's the $64,000 question (or prize money at the WC)

Comment

With the new NCAA ruling on Name-Image-Likeness (NIL), isn't that the end of the idea of having to leave the team to sign an endorsement deal?
                        Any NCAA athlete can go pro now without losing their scholarship!!

Comment

while I haven't read chapter and verse on the whole thing, nowhere have I ever seen the most crucial thing that would apply to track: can you accept prize money? (not something that applies to football and hoops, the big drivers of the legislation in the first place)

Comment

Kentucky's Governor, last week, signed an NIL bill allowing students to receive compensation for those purposes. It will be interesting to see how this impacts basketball. Conceivably, I can see college players making more money from NIL playing at a major school than they could in the G-League.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                              With the new NCAA ruling on Name-Image-Likeness (NIL), isn't that the end of the idea of having to leave the team to sign an endorsement deal?
                              Any NCAA athlete can go pro now without losing their scholarship!!
                              Yeah, if this ruling has come down a couple of years ago, a guy like Mondo who really enjoyed being part of a college team and who is somewhat of a celebrity in south Louisiana, might have stayed in school. And what about Zion Wlliamson? Perhaps Nike would have gave him the same deal regardless of whether he went to the NBA or stayed at Duke.
                              Last edited by jazzcyclist; 07-01-2021, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X