Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Gee, what could possibly go wrong with this idea?
    How's it any different than kids having a job while being athletes? All sorts of workplace abuses already exist on top of the stuff that goes on from coaches in their sports too. This isn't going to make things worse, just different. But sure, lets have outrage over kids earning a few bucks and learning how commerce works (good, bad & ugly).

Comment

Originally posted by MJR View Post

How's it any different than kids having a job while being athletes? All sorts of workplace abuses already exist on top of the stuff that goes on from coaches in their sports too. This isn't going to make things worse, just different. But sure, lets have outrage over kids earning a few bucks and learning how commerce works (good, bad & ugly).
      Exactly....I think it is a fine idea.

Comment

Originally posted by MJR View Post
        lets have outrage over kids earning a few bucks and learning how commerce works (good, bad & ugly).
        A few bucks? Learning how commerce works? I wish I had your idealism. This isn't about the kids; it's shady adults trying to stack teams with $$$ enticement. Think Texas, add all the abuses already extant, then multiply by . . . A LOT. Yes, some PARENTS will get very rich - I'm sure that won't be abused either.

Will some deserving kids get a fair share of the pie? Yup, that too.

Comment

A few bucks? Learning how commerce works? I wish I had your idealism. This isn't about the kids; it's shady adults trying to stack teams with $$$ enticement. Think Texas, add all the abuses already extant, then multiply by . . . A LOT. Yes, some PARENTS will get very rich - I'm sure that won't be abused either.

Will some deserving kids get a fair share of the pie? Yup, that too.
          Ain't happening in Texas: https://www.uiltexas.org/policy/2021...il-information

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
            Ain't happening in Texas
            Good, but I didn't mean Texas itself. "Think Texas" refers to how huge Friday Nights are and to what lengths coaches, boosters and parents will go to get an edge. If a kid has an NIL contract waved in his face, the cockroaches will appear.

Comment

Good, but I didn't mean Texas itself. "Think Texas" refers to how huge Friday Nights are and to what lengths coaches, boosters and parents will go to get an edge. If a kid has an NIL contract waved in his face, the cockroaches will appear.
              We call that "Florida" now

Things have tightened up quite a bit here.

Comment

All it will take is a booster or business to get burned a few times on high school recruits not panning out that they'll rethink how much they hand over to recruits in the future.

After a few years it'll work itself out.

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

Must be an unsubstantiated rumor. Non-scholarship athletes aren't good enough to attract that amount of money, otherwise they'd have a scholarship (possible exceptions are Ivy League and Division III, where they don't give any athletic scholarships).
                  What about Oregon track and field, LSU baseball, Minnesota hockey and other big time minor sports programs for which the NCAA doesn't give enough scholarships to fill out a roster?

Comment

I don't know about the rest of the Big 10 but Minnesota has a roster limit for men. Irregardless of scholarships.

I don't see Nike getting into this with Oregon track....the team already runs in Nike stuff. And who else would bother except for a pittance.
                    Last edited by Conor Dary; 10-22-2021, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
                      We call that "Florida" now Things have tightened up quite a bit here.
                      If anything, things are worse here now.

Comment

How Paige Bueckers' first NIL deal could shift standards for female athlete sponsorships

https://sports.yahoo.com/uconn-how-p...203954804.html

Paige Bueckers, the reigning Naismith Player of the Year, signed her first major name, image and likeness (NIL) deal on Wednesday in a move that could have a long-term impact on women athletes in the collegiate and professional ranks.

Comment

We'll see....

Doesn't UConn already have a shoe deal?
                          Last edited by Conor Dary; 11-10-2021, 10:44 PM.

Comment

UConn has a shoe deal with Nike...I find it hard to believe they are happy......

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                              UConn has a shoe deal with Nike...I find it hard to believe they are happy......
                              Her deal was with StockX. Would Nike consider them a competitor?

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                                We'll see....

Doesn't UConn already have a shoe deal?
                                She probably still has to wear Nike gear on the court in official UConn games. The NIL thing doesn't mean athletes get to wear their individual sponsor's brand in competition.

Comment

Working...
                                X