Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observation On Olympic Trials

Although it has not ended yet I have an observation about the Olympic Trials in Eugene, Oregon. In spite of the unusually hot conditions the athletes competed in, at least in the second half of the trials, it was amazing at all the meet records, world leads, American Records, and one World Record that were made. It shows the mindset of the athletes to compete in all types of conditions. And I credit NBC with having separate feeds for field events, but I also debit NBC for showing little or no field events during the main broadcasts. There are people who like to see field events more than track events.

Share your observations, please.

Originally posted by ralmcg View Post
    I also debit NBC for showing little or no field events during the main broadcasts.
    They'd all be after-the-fact, which provide no drama (with real-time results sites). If you're following along at home with no streams available, it might be a good idea, but the streams provide all the FEs you could want.

Comment

Although it has not ended yet I have an observation about the Olympic Trials in Eugene, Oregon. In spite of the unusually hot conditions the athletes competed in, at least in the second half of the trials, it was amazing at all the meet records, world leads, American Records, and one World Record that were made. It shows the mindset of the athletes to compete in all types of conditions.
      Hot is good in all T&F events except for distance running.
      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Although it has not ended yet I have an observation about the Olympic Trials in Eugene, Oregon. In spite of the unusually hot conditions the athletes competed in, at least in the second half of the trials, it was amazing at all the meet records, world leads, American Records, and one World Record that were made. It shows the mindset of the athletes to compete in all types of conditions. And I credit NBC with having separate feeds for field events, but I also debit NBC for showing little or no field events during the main broadcasts. There are people who like to see field events more than track events.

Share your observations, please.
        The people who want to see field events are in hog heaven now; they are being catered to. The distance fans are still "bent over" >:-)The only way to make all of us happy is to have a stream for each field event, which they are doing, and a stream for running events, along with the "one-size-fits-all" stream that we have. NBC is at least using split windows so the longer races are still visible, but it's hard to follow the little screen to the side of the commercials, and you can't see the running clock. I don't even care if the track-only stream doesn't have commentators -- who needs them?

They have suspended the competition now and will resume 8:30 for M LJ and 9 for the rest of the stuff. I don't know what will happen with the NBC TV broadcast, because the women's gymnastics finals are already in that slot, and women's gymnastics is probably more popular than athletics. NBC was tape-delaying the TV window where I live, anyway. I'm going to tune in at 6:50 to find out when, where and whether the climactic hour of the OT will be shown on broadcast TV.
        Cheers,
        Alan Shank
        Woodland, CA, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Shank View Post

The people who want to see field events are in hog heaven now; they are being catered to. The distance fans are still "bent over" >:-)The only way to make all of us happy is to have a stream for each field event, which they are doing, and a stream for running events, along with the "one-size-fits-all" stream that we have. NBC is at least using split windows so the longer races are still visible, but it's hard to follow the little screen to the side of the commercials, and you can't see the running clock. I don't even care if the track-only stream doesn't have commentators -- who needs them?

They have suspended the competition now and will resume 8:30 for M LJ and 9 for the rest of the stuff. I don't know what will happen with the NBC TV broadcast, because the women's gymnastics finals are already in that slot, and women's gymnastics is probably more popular than athletics. NBC was tape-delaying the TV window where I live, anyway. I'm going to tune in at 6:50 to find out when, where and whether the climactic hour of the OT will be shown on broadcast TV.
          Cheers,
          Alan Shank
          Woodland, CA, USA
          The rest of the Track and Field Olympic Trials will be on NBCSN. I'm not sure if it will start broadcasting at 11:30 p.m. or midnight ET, though.

Although the field events have dedicated streams cable and satellite subscriptions are still needed to access them. Not all have them and therefore depends on NBC broadcasts for Olympic Trials coverage.
          Last edited by ralmcg; 06-27-2021, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Having a fab time here in person. Yeah, it’s hot. I’ve seen and been in worse. One of the best track meets I’ve ever attended as meet records fall right and left. Three trips to Hayward in one day is a bit excessive, but I wouldn’t trade it for most anything and I’m happy that the powers that be somehow appeased NBC and took the athletes (and fans) health into perspective. Had they simply started the meet at 9am this morning and not worried about the big TV bucks, things would have been more comfortable for all and it would have finished well before the postponement. It’s still going to be in the high 90s at 8:30. It’s not like this weather wasn’t anticipated

Comment

Wish I could experienced this in Person as well. You are very lucky and i hope you have enjoyed the HOT action LOL.
              I have been catching the live feed on YouTube TV when the broadcast is either tape delayed or shown later in my area (Toronto, Canada). What a difference from even 3-4 years ago where I was held hostage a the mercy of the broadcast rights or subscriber pay levels. Was as easy as opening up the website or app on my tablet. Ain't technology great!

Comment

In spite of the unusually hot conditions the athletes competed in, ...
                In the distances under 800m, the great times may have been helped by the heat, not in spite of the heat.

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

In the distances under 800m, the great times may have been helped by the heat, not in spite of the heat.

No may about it
                  There are no strings on me

Comment

I watched NBC at 19:00, when the telecast was originally scheduled. The whole crew was on, and they said that the rest of the stuff would be on NBCSN at 8:30 PT, which is when the M LJ final is scheduled. The DirecTV schedule doesn't have it, but I just set my DVR to record NBCSN from 8:30 for two hours, so it should be recorded. I'll be watching on my iMac on nbcolympics.com live while the DVR is recording it for later.
                    Cheers,
                    Alan Shank

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post

Hot is good in all T&F events except for distance running.
                      And race walking.

Comment

Having been at the 1988 OT, I don’t wish this weather on anybody even if it may help along a record or two in the sprints.

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
                          Having been at the 1988 OT, I don’t wish this weather on anybody even if it may help along a record or two in the sprints.
                          FireShot Capture 408 - eugene weather - Google Search - www.google.com.png

Comment

My third Olympic Trials and I thought it was a fantastic meet. Two world records, several second on the all-time list performances, attempts at the world record in the women’s pole vault. A number of seasons best, personal bests left right and center. Really solid performances. Not many ho-hum events of little interest. This was Mrs. DrJay’s first major track meet. The first couple of days, with lots of heats and qualifying and not many finals, she was pretty dubious about the whole affair, couldn’t quite see what all the excitement is about, even with Ryan Crouser’s world record. But by the end, she was a convert, had a great time, realized she’d seen some great athletic performances and is looking forward to watching these athletes compete in the Olympics in a few weeks.
                            Last edited by DrJay; 06-28-2021, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

And temp. in the w400mH was, I believe, about 100 since the delay helped a lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X