Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cigar95 View Post
    Warholm would be low-22s.
    That doesn't really seem optimal. The 400 (with or without hurdles) at optimal pace is always run with significant positive splits, but in this case, the difference would be close to 2.5s. It does seem too much.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

• Originally posted by Powell View Post

That doesn't really seem optimal. The 400 (with or without hurdles) at optimal pace is always run with significant positive splits, but in this case, the difference would be close to 2.5s. It does seem too much.
      Especially because you have to do more than stay on your feet. What are splits on some of the faster 400s? In Rio WVN clearly had a better second half than his competitors.

Comment

• As in the 800, where a 2-sec positive split has been seen as ideal, even splits do the trick just fine too and are often better. Negative splits, while viable, don't seem the most efficient. Even splits in the 400H would also be efficient if that's what you train for. 23.3 out and in is something that both KW and RB can do.

Comment

• Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post

Especially because you have to do more than stay on your feet. What are splits on some of the faster 400s? In Rio WVN clearly had a better second half than his competitors.
          wvn splits in WR

(10.7, 9.8 [20.5], 10.5 [31.0], 12.0)
          (20.5/22.5)

Comment

• The pacing on RB's race is still bugging me, I keep looking for tweaks, and I may have found something. Under 100m split times from a 400m race result on the page https://www.brianmac.co.uk/sprints/pred400.htm I found a pacing assessment calculator. I'll throw up some splits I plugged in for RB and see how they evaluate.
            Code:
            50 - 100 - 150 - 200  - 250 - 300 - 350 -  400
            6.33 11.60 17.10 22.76  28.43 34.43 40.63  46.83
            6.4  11.5  16.8  22.3   28.1  34.1  40.2   46.78
            6.1  11.2  16.4  21.8   27.5  33.7  40.1   46.70

11.59       22.69(11.10) 34.29(11.60) 46.58(12.29)
            This seems to check all the boxes. 100-200 faster than 0-100, 300-400 0.7 seconds slower than 0-100, 200-300 0.5 seconds slower than 100-200, 1.2 second differential between first and second halves. It seems possible. The first half, all of the marks can be hit by just running the Trials race with a faster reaction time out of the blocks. The faster RB starts, the easier the cruise to 100m is. A good start and a tiny bit more pace gets RB to 200m a tenth quicker than at the Trials. Then it starts to hurt, need a few hundredths more from 200m to 300m, and another tenth from 300 to the line, but it seems doable.

Someone else can try to tweak KW's splits, don't even know where to start!

Comment

• Why the 400m hurdles is one of the hardest Olympic races
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ8S1vbfR7k

Comment

• Originally posted by Rack View Post
                Why the 400m hurdles is one of the hardest Olympic races
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ8S1vbfR7k
                Funny they note Warholm's WR happened at the "Tokyo Olympic Trials"

Comment

• Originally posted by Rack View Post
                  Why the 400m hurdles is one of the hardest Olympic races
                  I've done almost all the events, and even though it was my primary event, I dreaded it more than the others.

That said, I haven't run the Steeplechase or the Marathon, because my fear of them is even greater.

Comment

• The WORLD RECORD Race Of The 2021 Tokyo Olympics || Rai Benjamin VS. Karsten Warholm
                    https://youtu.be/cJyZ-bXucZo?t=165
                    Starting to get excited here!

Comment

• Originally posted by ZazaShoya View Post

Very good job, thanks !
                      Could you provide us with some hurdle clearance times ?
                      Sure, this is what I pulled for KW from the slow-mo footage:
                      Code:
                         H1    H2    H3    H4    H5    H6    H7    H8    H9   H10
                      0.350 0.350 0.353 0.343 0.350 0.358 0.371 0.371 0.388 0.383
                      Consistent, if anything! Hurdles must have been growing at the end!

Comment

• The Singular Beauty of the 400-Meter Hurdles
                        https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/07/the-singular-beauty-of-the-400-meter-hurdles.html
                        Alnes [Karsten's coach] said, “Karsten has gone 13 all the way in several races, but then he needs to overstride at the end. He has been criticized for opening too fast. I totally disagree. I think he finishes too slow.”

Comment

• My strategy was always start fast, finish fast!
                          Unfortunately it was the middle that was a tad too slow.

Comment

• Going over some of the race info for Moses on here and reading "A History of Modern Track and Field Athletics 1860-1990" it seems we might have a problem Houston.

From the info on WA Moses' first victory starting his streak was Sep.2nd 1977. We should be not counting from his last loss prior to this. Running the clock forward we have June 4th 1987 for his first loss since (not counting pulling out from the final on June 8th 1984 nor competing in 1982 & 85). Including Sep.2nd and excluding June 4th you have 9y 9m 2d. Also,WA lists 114 races between this time including 14 Heats and Semifinals. Thus his streak is 100 final victories or 114 races. How did we arrive at 122? Are there some missing races? The above book references 122 including heats and semis.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                              Time to update this Tuariki, but this time use the dates starting with the win.
                              Last edited by proofs in the pudd'in; 08-09-2021, 07:09 PM.

Comment

• Alnes [Karsten's coach] said, “Karsten has gone 13 all the way in several races, but then he needs to overstride at the end. He has been criticized for opening too fast. I totally disagree. I think he finishes too slow.”
                                Looks like he has corrected that with his two WR runs using 15 strides between 9 & 10 and better conditioning in the homestretch.

Comment

Working...
                                X