Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Benjamin vs. Warholm, when? .... not Monaco

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by proofs in the pudd'in View Post
    Speaking of intangibles - what if KW draws and inside lane to RB in the final? How do any of you guys see that affecting their strategies.
    As professionals, they know to carry out their own race and run their best time. That cannot be done by worrying about the other guy.
    As humans, we are always affected by our surroundings. Whoever draws the inside lane has the psychological advantage of knowing where the opponent is. But if that draws you out of your best race . . . uh oh.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by proofs in the pudd'in View Post

      One for the ages: It could look like one these as well - - but faster:

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZSsoNhjYVk

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdYoau0-HFc&t=259s
      You are spot on. Absolutely one for the ages! Here's hoping for another one for the ages.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by proofs in the pudd'in View Post

        Ok, that makes sense! Tilastopaja list it from his next win after last loss. For stat purposes what is more common or accepted?
        I think Tilastopaja's way of counting is less common, but it is more sensible. Think about this example: an athlete loses the last race of 2018, then doesn't compete at all in 2019 and 2020, then comes back to win every competition in 2021. At the end of 2021, would it make sense to say he's got a 3-year winning streak?
        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Powell View Post

          I think Tilastopaja's way of counting is less common, but it is more sensible. Think about this example: an athlete loses the last race of 2018, then doesn't compete at all in 2019 and 2020, then comes back to win every competition in 2021. At the end of 2021, would it make sense to say he's got a 3-year winning streak?
          Agree, so what is EM 999 going by?

          Comment


          • KW on the inside :
            - Can apply pressure on RB by reducing/closing the stagger ;
            - Blind on the come-back of RB for longer.
            But :
            - Not his favorite lane, though he's already won in these conditions ;
            - Could make him try to do too much as he's more aware of what RB's doing.

            Comment


            • Doha WC: Warholm was in 4, Benjamin in 7

              Comment


              • Originally posted by proofs in the pudd'in View Post

                Agree, so what is EM 999 going by?
                Www.teamusa.org


                Screenshot_20210704_085134_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox_edit_385753189679159.jpg

                Comment


                • Sorry, Edwin. Beck was ranked No. 6 in the world in '79 and you ran against him (and beat him of course) in the World Cup in Montréal.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by proofs in the pudd'in View Post
                    For funsies, I tried to take splits off this video. Luxurious! As always it's frame-counted, but now at 240Hz/0.004167sec granularity, round to the nearest hundredth if you like.
                    I had to pick a finish frame, I picked 6:18 or 378 seconds and 5 frames.
                    Code:
                     RT    H1    H2     H3     H4     H5     H6     H7     H8     H9     H10  Final
                    0.163 5.708 9.216 12.820 16.475 20.238 24.166 28.266 32.704 37.125 41.600 46.70
                    
                    S-H1  H1-2  H2-3  H3-4  H4-5  H5-6  H6-7  H7-8  H8-9  H9-10 H10-F Final
                    5.708 3.508 3.604 3.655 3.763 3.928 4.100 4.438 4.421 4.475 5.100 46.70
                    Also did Kevin Young's race, not as luxurious. It's hard to find a good, clean 25Hz copy that shows the whole race!
                    Code:
                     RT    H1   H2    H3    H4    H5    H6    H7    H8    H9    H10 Final
                    0.235 5.90 9.63 13.50 17.38 21.23 25.23 29.20 33.33 37.63 42.00 46.83
                          6.05 9.65 13.33 17.05 20.81 24.73 28.85 32.97 37.25 41.65 46.78
                    0.163 5.72 9.24 12.82 16.50 20.32 24.24 28.34 32.52 36.92 41.60 46.70
                    
                    S-H1 H1-2 H2-3 H3-4 H4-5 H5-6 H6-7 H7-8 H8-9 H9-10 H10-F Final
                    5.90 3.73 3.87 3.88 3.85 4.00 3.97 4.13 4.30 4.37 4.83 46.83
                    6.05 3.60 3.68 3.72 3.76 3.92 4.12 4.12 4.28 4.40 5.13 46.78
                    5.72 3.52 3.58 3.68 3.82 3.92 4.10 4.18 4.40 4.68 5.10 46.70

                    Comment


                    • From wiki:

                      After breaking his own world record the following year at the Drake Stadium with a time of 47.45 seconds, Moses lost to West Germany's Harald Schmid on August 26, 1977 in Berlin; this was his fourth defeat in the 400 m hurdles. Beginning the next week, Moses beat Schmid by 15 metres (49 ft) in Düsseldorf, and he did not lose another race for nine years, nine months and nine days.

                      So the 999 is calculated from the last loss not from first win after that loss (which was only a week later anyway so not much difference).

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Rack View Post

                        For funsies, I tried to take splits off this video. Luxurious! As always it's frame-counted, but now at 240Hz/0.004167sec granularity, round to the nearest hundredth if you like.
                        I had to pick a finish frame, I picked 6:18 or 378 seconds and 5 frames.
                        Code:
                         RT H1 H2 H3 H4 H5 H6 H7 H8 H9 H10 Final
                        0.163 5.708 9.216 12.820 16.475 20.238 24.166 28.266 32.704 37.125 41.600 46.70
                        
                        S-H1 H1-2 H2-3 H3-4 H4-5 H5-6 H6-7 H7-8 H8-9 H9-10 H10-F Final
                        5.708 3.508 3.604 3.655 3.763 3.928 4.100 4.438 4.421 4.475 5.100 46.70
                        Also did Kevin Young's race, not as luxurious. It's hard to find a good, clean 25Hz copy that shows the whole race!
                        Code:
                         RT H1 H2 H3 H4 H5 H6 H7 H8 H9 H10 Final
                        0.235 5.90 9.63 13.50 17.38 21.23 25.23 29.20 33.33 37.63 42.00 46.83
                        6.05 9.65 13.33 17.05 20.81 24.73 28.85 32.97 37.25 41.65 46.78
                        0.163 5.72 9.24 12.82 16.50 20.32 24.24 28.34 32.52 36.92 41.60 46.70
                        
                        S-H1 H1-2 H2-3 H3-4 H4-5 H5-6 H6-7 H7-8 H8-9 H9-10 H10-F Final
                        5.90 3.73 3.87 3.88 3.85 4.00 3.97 4.13 4.30 4.37 4.83 46.83
                        6.05 3.60 3.68 3.72 3.76 3.92 4.12 4.12 4.28 4.40 5.13 46.78
                        5.72 3.52 3.58 3.68 3.82 3.92 4.10 4.18 4.40 4.68 5.10 46.70
                        Very nice! I got 157 tot.steps (20 to first hurdle, then all 13 to 9, then15 from 9-10, then 18 to finish and then counted the landing leg after each hurdle tot.10). For funsies!

                        Question: Is H5 set right at 200m? And how many tot. did Mo take?
                        Last edited by proofs in the pudd'in; 07-03-2021, 10:17 PM.

                        Comment


                        • No disrespect to Moses and his streak, but the 999 is somewhat inflated, since he had 2 seasons with no competitions and in 1986 at least he never raced his top rivals.
                          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Powell View Post
                            No disrespect to Moses and his streak, but the 999 is somewhat inflated, since he had 2 seasons with no competitions and in 1986 at least he never raced his top rivals.
                            Injury for those seasons. He raced when he was ready and any of his main rivals could have found a lane in the races he did. I remember him answering those questions of dodging others in an SI article I think.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Powell View Post
                              No disrespect to Moses and his streak, but the 999 is somewhat inflated, since he had 2 seasons with no competitions and in 1986 at least he never raced his top rivals.
                              there are also hardcore statisticians who consider the Moses streak to have ended at the '84 TAC Championships, where he won his semi then pulled out of the final.

                              Comment


                              • I think that RB does not go out so fast because it causes him to have to chop is stride for the first part of the race. He can probably speed up a bit before is afterburners hit at 200m in the Trials, which gives him more than the 140 or so meters that he used to make up almost a second. Also, the US blocks were creating problems and I would guess that his RT was partially caution. And, it was his third race and where the risk of blowing up is a consideration that KW did not have to be concerned about. 2020 makes the stats on win streaks a little less relevant, since KW did not race anyone of note from the end of 2019 until this week.

                                In a couple of years the event's neophyte might be a pretty strong contender, especially given how fast he is and how much he has to learn over the hurdles.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X