Sergey Shubenkov (110H)
      Ilya Shkurenyov (Dec)
      Vasiliy Mizinov (20W)
      Valeriy Pronkin (HT)

Mariya Lasitskene (HJ)
      Angelika Sidorova (PV)
      Daria Klishina (LJ)
      Elvira Khasanova (20W)
      I presume the official line is that this is not a team but a group of athletes who happen to come from the same country!

Comment

Jamaica leaving Omar McLeod off their team is insane!
        Next to Grant Holloway, he's easily the 2nd best 110H guy in the World!

Comment

- Shocked Zharnel Hughes was put on the team since he false started in the 100 Final
          - Only Gemili makes the 200m team (what happened to Danny Talbot this season?)
          - Not one single male in the Men's 400
          - Only Andy Pozzi in the 110h, thought David King had a good chance of making the team

Overall GB's regressed a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Weights&Shoes View Post

- Shocked Zharnel Hughes was put on the team since he false started in the 100 Final
            - Only Andy Pozzi in the 110h, thought David King had a good chance of making the team

"A number of athletes have also been nominated for selection to the British Olympic Association subject to receiving a World Athletics ranking invitation. These invitations will be confirmed this week and the athletes announced in due course. Athletes who have been nominated for selection as part of this process have been contacted by their Lead performance contact to confirm this."

Hudson-Smith and King (and other I assume) will be officially announced once WA invitations are sent.
            Are you really shocked because the current European champion, 6th in Doha, is selected in priority over the likes of Ojie Edoburun and Andrew Robertson ? Prescod only finished 5th and he's in the plane too.
            Last edited by ZazaShoya; 06-30-2021, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZazaShoya View Post

"A number of athletes have also been nominated for selection to the British Olympic Association subject to receiving a World Athletics ranking invitation. These invitations will be confirmed this week and the athletes announced in due course. Athletes who have been nominated for selection as part of this process have been contacted by their Lead performance contact to confirm this."

Hudson-Smith and King (and other I assume) will be officially announced once WA invitations are sent.
              Are you really shocked because the current European champion, 6th in Doha, is selected in priority over the likes of Ojie Edoburun and Andrew Robertson ? Prescod only finished 5th and he's in the plane too.
              Only Ujah and Hughes have broken 10.20 this year.

The UK's criteria for accepting WA invitations are quite strict.

Comment

Good story, the Refugee Team

Rose Nathike Lokonyen, 800m
                Anjelina Nadai Lohalith, 1500
                Tachlowini Gabriyesos, Marathon
                Jamal Abdelmaji Eisa Mohammed, 5000m
                Paulo Amotun Lokoro, 1500m.
                Dorian Keletela, 100m.
                James Nyang Chiengjiek, 800m

https://worldathletics.org/competitions/athletics-better-world/news/refugee-olympic-team-tokyo

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  Good story, the Refugee Team

Rose Nathike Lokonyen, 800m
                  Anjelina Nadai Lohalith, 1500
                  Tachlowini Gabriyesos, Marathon
                  Jamal Abdelmaji Eisa Mohammed, 5000m
                  Paulo Amotun Lokoro, 1500m.
                  Dorian Keletela, 100m.
                  James Nyang Chiengjiek, 800m

https://worldathletics.org/competitions/athletics-better-world/news/refugee-olympic-team-tokyo
                  We rag on World Athletics a lot but every once in a while they have/encourage/support brilliant initiatives like this. Hats off to them and to Tegla Loroupe for starting this a few years ago, and for keeping it going.

Comment

The Polish team: https://pzla.pl/file/8575-proponowan...tokio-2021.pdf

The team lineup still needs be confirmed by the Polish Olympic Comittee, but I guess it's unlikely they will scratch anyone off the list. OTOH, a few Polish athletes are just outside qualifying positions in the rankings, so a couple more may be added if athletes from other countries withdraw.
                    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

So when will we know who fills out the rest of the US team? I think M and W Jav, WDisc, WHJ, and walks are still up in the air. Did I miss anything?

I did see Inika McPherson tweet she's made the team.
                      Last edited by dupontred; 07-02-2021, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                        Jamaica leaving Omar McLeod off their team is insane!
                        Next to Grant Holloway, he's easily the 2nd best 110H guy in the World!
                        Did they have the option of putting him on the team after his Trials disaster? Haven't they firmed up their rules after the 2000 Dowdie/Ottey fiasco?

Comment

Originally posted by dupontred View Post
                          So when will we know who fills out the rest of the US team? I think M and W Jav, WDisc, WHJ, and walks are still up in the air. Did I miss anything?

I did see Inika McPherson tweet she's made the team.
                          Robyn Stevens made team in W20km. If 1 person withdraws or the invite is not accepted by their nation, Nick Christie would be the next in line for M20km, as he sits in 61st position.

Comment

Ethiopian Team. [Glaring in their omission]
                            MEN
                            3000m steeplechase: Hailemariam Amare, Abrham Sime, Tadesse Takele[/quote]
                            Why am I now reading on the WA preview that Girma IS running the Steeple?
                            Last edited by Atticus; 07-25-2021, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Weights&Shoes View Post

I think GBR made a great decision by picking Zharnel Hughes for the men's 100. He is clearly one of their top three 100 meter runners. The beauty of their selection system is that they can choose an athlete like Hughes if something happens during the Olympic Trials. Kenya has the same system and they botched their decision not to pick Timothy Cheruiyot in the 1500m. Kenyan politics got in the way of making the right decision, which was a no brainer!

Comment

Working...
                              X