Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KevinR View Post
    I did not realize insufficient OoC tests could keep you from the team.
    From what I understand, that only applies to countries that have been blacklisted by WA.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

• Originally posted by TWalsh

No set up at all. It’s the exact opposite. The Kenya selection committee had every opportunity to choose Cheruiyot. But they obviously didn’t want Cheruiyot on the Olympic Team.
      Exactly. Their rules do allow for exceptions to the three-past-the-post rule. The federation could have selected Cheruiyot right from the start if they chose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

Now that smells of a set up.
        Who cares....it's Kenya...

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
          exhibit A of why the internet sucks..... any search engine now has the possibility of linking her with doping
          Really...where? I just looked on Google.... she got dropped by Sweden because she is 30 was all I saw.

Swedish version of Logan's Run...
          Last edited by Conor Dary; 07-14-2021, 06:52 PM.

Comment

• Full entry lists published

https://www.worldathletics.org/compe...32391/athletes

Comment

• Originally posted by ItalianFan View Post
              Morgunov not listed on ANA team. Lasitskene is.

Comment

Really hope SMU follows through with the 200/400 double. I think she has very good chances to walk away with 2 medals, at least one of them gold.

Comment

• They exaggerated a bit with the entry list for US women in the marathon...

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

Really...where? I just looked on Google.... she got dropped by Sweden because she is 30 was all I saw.

Tauriki made an incorrect reading of an article and posted the incorrect association above. I didn't quote the text or link to it for obvious reasons.

Comment

They exaggerated a bit with the entry list for US women in the marathon...
                      What do you mean? If it's the fact there are 4 US women listed, that's also the case in many/ most other events. And it's always been this way.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post
                        Dont forget Usoro. Her chances are slim in the TJ, but she does have an outside shot at significantly improving or capitalizing on someone else's mistakes in the TJ.

But yea Brume I see as probably the top gold medal threat here.

Really unfortunate with Ekevwo being injured this year, but I think he is a serious threat to drop some fast times in the 100m in the coming years.

I'm a fan of Usoro (the NR holder). She has a championship mentality. I don't think she was an overwhelming favourite during this college season yet she came out with 4 titles (big 12/NCAA- indoor & outdoor). I'm hoping she can make the Olympic final and from there, who knows!

Ekevwo ran again last week at a local meet in Florida (10.22 and 10.13w). I believe he has turned pro now as he has joined the same management agency as LaShawn Merritt. I'm looking forward to what he can do next season. I believe he is one of the most talented sprinters that Nigeria has produced in recent times.

Atticus, Thank you. I hope to contribute more in that regard.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

It's because they don't expect her to make the final. They relax that expectation for athletes in their early 20s, but she's too old to get that benefit of the doubt. She probably would have been on the team if she ran a 1:58-low this season, but she hasn't run sub-1:59 since 2017.

I don't know if they gave her the option of letting her go to Tokyo if she would reimburse or pre-pay the Swedish federation for the expenses to be incurred by her joining the team to Tokyo, or if it's a matter of pride (they don't want her to bring shame upon Sweden by failing to advance beyond the semifinals) and the money didn't matter.

As a result, they're sending zero athletes for the women's 800m, which IMO is more shameful than sending one who makes it to the semifinals.
                          Last edited by 18.99s; 07-17-2021, 01:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zelex View Post
                            Ekevwo ran again last week at a local meet in Florida (10.22 and 10.13w). I believe he has turned pro now as he has joined the same management agency as LaShawn Merritt. I'm looking forward to what he can do next season. I believe he is one of the most talented sprinters that Nigeria has produced in recent times.
                            Thanks for that update. Would you happen to know if he is sill being trained at U of Florida or has he moved to a different training group?

I really do think Nigeria could/should be a sprint powerhouse on the mens side but, for various reasons, things haven't lined up for years on the global stage. No Olympic 100m finalist since 1996 and no world finalist since 2007. Even in the 4x1, they made the 2019 final but were DQed, and before that weren't in the final since also back in 2007, and of course the 2004 OLY bronze.

What are your thoughts on some of the younger names? I know Adegoke has been consistent the past few years winning most of the local All-Comers meets and is the cusp of sub 10, along with Itsekiri and Ofcourse Ekevwo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Powell View Post

What do you mean? If it's the fact there are 4 US women listed, that's also the case in many/ most other events. And it's always been this way.
                              For a while they had Bates, Hall, Kipyego, Rojas, Seidel, Taylor, Thweatt & Tuliamuk listed.

That appears to have been corrected.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post
                                Thanks for that update. Would you happen to know if he is sill being trained at U of Florida or has he moved to a different training group?

I really do think Nigeria could/should be a sprint powerhouse on the mens side but, for various reasons, things haven't lined up for years on the global stage. No Olympic 100m finalist since 1996 and no world finalist since 2007. Even in the 4x1, they made the 2019 final but were DQed, and before that weren't in the final since also back in 2007, and of course the 2004 OLY bronze.

What are your thoughts on some of the younger names? I know Adegoke has been consistent the past few years winning most of the local All-Comers meets and is the cusp of sub 10, along with Itsekiri and Ofcourse Ekevwo.

You're welcome!

I believe Ekevwo is still being trained at U of Florida.

I most definitely agree with you. The mens side has been quite poor for some time. Nigeria should be doing much better (I just checked and was surprised to see that Nigeria is joint 3rd with the most amount of athletes that have ran sub-10!). Administration and development programmes has always been a major bane.

Fortunately the names you’ve listed represent an ushering of the new generation. Adegoke made the Commonwealth Games 100m finals in 2018 (a few weeks after his 18th birthday). This was his first competition representing Nigeria at any level. He has been progressing well ever since. He made his European debut this season (last week). He is a technically very good sprinter. He put on a good performance at the national trials with a 10.06 and 10.00 times in the semi and final.

Itsekiri had his breakthrough in 2019. He won the National Sports Festival (local Olympics) in December 2018 which led to him receiving support (financial etc) in building pro-career. He won 17/23 meets across Europe in 2019. He ended up winning a bronze medal at the All African Games (10.02). However ended the season disappointedly in Doha with his worst race of the season (claimed he was cramping). He has a 10.07 sb currently.

Ekevwo, I have high hopes for. I think he is someone that can make few global finals in his career. Not only because of his talent but he has the right attitude and demeanour (he rises to the occasion).

I think the mens sprint is entering into an era similar to the 2000-2005 period. I don’t know how familiar you are with Deji Aliu and Uchenna Emedolu but I think these new guys are following a similar trajectory. I’m hoping all our male sprinters manage to get to the semi-finals in this Olympics. Can one make the final? possibly but unlikely. Maybe Oduduru.

Comment

Working...
                                X