Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Zelex View Post
    I think the mens sprint is entering into an era similar to the 2000-2005 period. I don’t know how familiar you are with Deji Aliu and Uchenna Emedolu but I think these new guys are following a similar trajectory. I’m hoping all our male sprinters manage to get to the semi-finals in this Olympics. Can one make the final? possibly but unlikely. Maybe Oduduru.
    Thanks for thoes notes and I definitely agree! The early 2000s with Aliu, Emedolu, Fasuba, coming off the heels of essentially Nigeria's golden age of the 80s/90s with Ogunkoya, Ezinwa, Adeniken, Imoh and others. Theres been a down time the past 15 years but like you noted, we could be seeing a resurgence and these 3 on the Tokyo team are part of that.
    Last edited by ATK; 07-17-2021, 05:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZazaShoya View Post

"A number of athletes have also been nominated for selection to the British Olympic Association subject to receiving a World Athletics ranking invitation. These invitations will be confirmed this week and the athletes announced in due course. Athletes who have been nominated for selection as part of this process have been contacted by their Lead performance contact to confirm this."

Hudson-Smith and King (and other I assume) will be officially announced once WA invitations are sent.
      Are you really shocked because the current European champion, 6th in Doha, is selected in priority over the likes of Ojie Edoburun and Andrew Robertson ? Prescod only finished 5th and he's in the plane too.
      Zharnel Hughes and Reece Prescod will definitely improve a great deal before Tokyo. This season Prescod has improved from 10.36 to 10.13 in less than 3 months. I see him running close to 10.00 by August !st

Comment

• Originally posted by Britfan View Post

Zharnel Hughes and Reece Prescod will definitely improve a great deal before Tokyo. This season Prescod has improved from 10.36 to 10.13 in less than 3 months. I see him running close to 10.00 by August !st
        10.00 is not likely to be much help

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

10.00 is not likely to be much help
          10.00 at the right time, e.g semi-final will likely see him advance to the final.
          In order to medal he should be able to run low 9.9, which is probably not the case, so 10.00 would be enough to reach the best achievement he could dream of at the moment : a top 8.

Comment

• the fastest anyone has ever run and not advanced to the Olympic final is 10.01 by CJ Ujah in Rio

(2 men have run 10.00 and not advanced to WC final)

Comment

• Well, crud. This from an article TODAY.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/57819388

Speaking of which, what does Miller-Uibo have in mind for Tokyo? She has been lobbying the International Olympic Committee to alter the schedule at this year's Games so she is able to compete in both the 400 and 200m events.
              But it appears her efforts have been fruitless. The three-time world championship medallist says she is now only focussing on the 200m in which she will be competing against Great Britain's Dina Asher-Smith.

Comment

• She'll leave Tokyo empty-handed if that's her plan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  Well, crud. This from an article TODAY.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/57819388

This article is based on a podcast interview released on June 23rd: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w3ct2g6l
                  In the podcast, they dont ask, nor does she actually mention anything about what she is running in Tokyo (they dont even talk about Tokyo at all)

Since that interview was released, the following has happened:

June 27th - Miller-Uibo runs both the 200/400 at Bahamian trials
                  June 27th - Jackson skips the 400 and qualifies for the 100/200 at Jamaican trials
                  June 30th - Naser was banned for 2 years
                  July 2nd - Mboma and Masilingi were ruled ineligible in the 400m
                  July 5th - Miller-Uibo is listed as registered for the 200/400 as part of the Bahamian team to Tokyo

So yea basically the world has changed since this interview happened. I think she doubles.
                  Last edited by ATK; 07-20-2021, 03:49 AM.

Comment

• Nigeria:

Oduduru Divine (Men’s 100m & 200m), Adegoke Enoch (Men’s 100m), Usheoritse Itsekiri (Men’s 100m), Enekwechi Chukwuebuka (Men’s Shotput), Okagbare Blessing (Women’s 100m & 200m, 4 x 100m Relay), Nwokocha Grace (Women’s 100m & 200m, 4 x 100m Relay), Amusan Tobi (Women’s 100m Hurdles), Ofili Favour (Women’s 200m, 4 x 100m Relay), Usoro Ruth (Women’s Long Jump & Triple Jump), and Brume Ese (Women’s Long Jump).

Others are Echikunwoke Annette (Women’s Hammer Throw), George Patience (Women’s 400m, 4 x 400m Relay Mixed), Chukwuma Rosemary (Women’s 100m, 4 x 100m Relay) and Onyekwere Chioma (Women’s Discus Throw).

Members of the Mixed 4 x 400 relay team are Uko Imaobong Nse, Nathaniel Samson, Okezie Chidi and George Patience.

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
                      Nigeria:

Others are Echikunwoke Annette (Women’s Hammer Throw), George Patience (Women’s 400m, 4 x 400m Relay Mixed), Chukwuma Rosemary (Women’s 100m, 4 x 100m Relay) and Onyekwere Chioma (Women’s Discus Throw).
                      Genuinely curious, why did you list these athletes as "Others"?
                      Last edited by ATK; 07-23-2021, 02:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
                        George Patience.
                        With a name like that, he's doomed to leave too early and not get the stick in the zone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          With a name like that, he's doomed to leave too early and not get the stick in the zone.
                          Patience Okon George, Womens 400 and 4x400

Comment

• The names are listed last, first. But this list reminds me of how much I enjoy the names of many of the Nigerian athletes. Divine, Favour, Sunday, Patience.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post
                              Genuinely curious, why did you list these athletes as "Others"?
                              I didn't; that's how the report came in

Comment

• Ihor Hlavan (Igor Glavan) removed from Ukrainian 50k walk team in Tokyo after ban extended to 3 years (still fully served). Valeriy Litanyuk replaces him.

Comment

Working...
                                X