Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

But USATF will reject the invite for Butts-Townsend and put McPherson on the team, right?
    I have zero inside info, but it seems that would be the "intent" of there stated rules, but maybe there is some subtlety with the way this process works that makes that hard/impossible??

Comment

But USATF will reject the invite for Butts-Townsend and put McPherson on the team, right?
      Isnt the invite for the specific athlete, not the country?
      ​​​​​​
      Therefore, wouldn't the invite then go to the next athlete, #34.

Comment

Originally posted by donley2 View Post

Her rant might be about the fact, that in this very unusual situation where she is indeed the next person in line that USATF/USOC could have just skipped McCoy and added her.
        So exactly the opposite of how someone assured me it would work in another thread when I questioning this exact 'chicken and egg' process in regards to another US athlete (OT men's 1500 I think it was).

Typical lol

Comment

Has the US team been announced yet? Inika McPherson posted a rant on Instagram about not being selected to the team although a jumper who didn't make the trials final was selected.

I wonder where she got her information from, because I can't find anything else online to confirm that she wasn't selected, and her non-selection wouldn't make sense based on USATF's rules. McPherson doesn't have the standard but she's #27 in the world rankings and placed 2nd at the trials and the field size for the Olympic HJ is 32.
          She seems to be saying that Ty Butts Townsend was named to the team instead of her. That would make absolutely no sense.

Comment

I have zero inside info, but it seems that would be the "intent" of there stated rules, but maybe there is some subtlety with the way this process works that makes that hard/impossible??
            I wonder if McPherson is looking at this list and assuming it's Townsend going instead of her....which may not be the case.

Comment

This was the problem I stated before, all the dust must clear before the proper top 32 can be identified. The US must declare which athletes will not be selected, so another spot becomes available.

But . . . the policy states 'as of July 1', which means BEFORE they declare who they want, so she may get screwed by a premature reckoning of who should be eligible!?!?
              Last edited by Atticus; 07-04-2021, 02:57 AM.

Comment

https://twitter.com/B1GHomie/status/...771624453?s=19 This thread implies McPherson is out.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  That's certainly the USA way! This year's Trials worked out better than any other in my memory. Brazier was hurt. Other faves just didn't look sharp.
                  Sometimes, however, our teams have not been the best we could have fielded.
                  Good point! The only Olympic favorite that didnt make the team was Brazier. But our chances for a 1-2-3 sweep in the Women's
                  400 Hurdles were greatly reduced when Shamier Little stumbled late in the OT final over a hurdle & faded to 4th place. Little had
                  a good shot at Olympic bronze but Cockrell is only a long-shot in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by Psyclone View Post

Good point! The only Olympic favorite that didnt make the team was Brazier. But our chances for a 1-2-3 sweep in the Women's
                    400 Hurdles were greatly reduced when Shamier Little stumbled late in the OT final over a hurdle & faded to 4th place. Little had
                    a good shot at Olympic bronze but Cockrell is only a long-shot in that regard.
                    Cockrell is a great competitor and is still improving in the hurdles. You might be surprised by her in Tokyo.

Comment

The schedule doesn't hurt the women's 400 that much. Having the 200 final and 400 heats on the same day hurts the 200, but the 200 is already out of the way when the 400 semis and final are run. She should double. The double is much tougher on the men's side.
                      You're right. The only 2 serious challengers in the 400 were 2 Namibians who were withdrawn from the Games due to
                      testosterone issues. In the 200 Miller-Uibo faces far more serious threats from Gabby Thomas & SAFP, either of whom
                      could beat her, perhaps even both of them. Shericka Jackson could possibly push Shaunae off the medal stand
                      completely in the 200, since she just ran a 21.82 last weekend, her first time under 22 seconds in her 14-year career.

https://www.namibian.com.na/103076/r...-Olympics-400m

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post

Cockrell is a great competitor and is still improving in the hurdles. You might be surprised by her in Tokyo.
                        I hope you are right. I'd love to see a USA sweep but Anna's shot at Olympic bronze are not as good as Dutch
                        hopeful Femke Bol who just clocked 53.33 in only her 3rd year in the event.
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e17AiCVK_A

Comment

https://twitter.com/B1GHomie/status/...771624453?s=19 This thread implies McPherson is out.
                          ....and Darrell Hill wants an explanation. So do I. I think he's more likely to get one for a couple of reasons.

Comment

This thread implies McPherson is out.
                            UST&F caring more about letting suspended athletes run in the trials & in Tokyo than making sure those who performed at the trials are rewarded with Olympic spots.

Feel very sorry for McPherson & Hocker if they are omitted due to incompetent thinking in the US selection process.

Comment

Portuguese press refers Jordan Dias from Cuba (TJ) quited cuban team and is out of OG. I suppose this will be another cuban changing nationality.

Comment

I think I get it now. It's an order of operations thing.

We thought you could qualify by ranking in the top N for your event if you didn't have the standard (where N is the specified field size for the event), and World Athletics would let countries submit 3 athletes per event who have the standard or ranking in the top N.

Then WA would start inviting athlete N+1, N+2 etc. only if the N spots weren't already filled by the above criteria. Therefore, in a country with 3-past-the-post like the US, an athlete ranking in the top N and placing in the top 3 at the trials could be assured of their spot.

But if what McPherson is saying is true, it means WA is first letting countries submit 3 athletes who have the standard, without considering anybody without it. Then only if the field size isn't completely filled by standard-bearers, they start looking at world rankings. Theoretically, it would mean the athlete ranked #1 without the standard would get left at home if the field size can be filled entirely with standard-bearers.

And it would mean WA is prioritizing athletes with the standard over athletes with high rankings; they're not equally weighted methods of qualifying. It also means 5th placer at the trials Whitney Ashley with the standard would get a spot on the team ahead of Kelsey Card who placed 4th and has a higher world ranking.

For McPherson to get a spot, USATF would have to tell Butts-Townsend to reject her rankings-based invitation, in anticipation of McPherson getting it.
                                Last edited by 18.99s; 07-04-2021, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X