Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The issue of having a bad day at the OT has been a long standing one.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
      The issue of having a bad day at the OT has been a long standing one.
      I'm very aware of that... but the remedy was having the standard. Even if an athlete had a 'bad day', the athlete who ultimately ended up going, had the standard.

I'm not at all opposed to the rankings system... I think it favors consistency instead of a one off great day by an athlete who never sees that level of performance again.

Comment

Originally posted by sprintjump View Post
        I'm not at all opposed to the rankings system... I think it favors consistency instead of a one off great day by an athlete who never sees that level of performance again.
        That's a completely different discussion than USATF's policy of taking 1-2-3 if they have the Standard or Qualified from the list.
        Despite the poor wording of their policy, I sure hope the intent was to honor the Top-3 dictum if at all possible. After all the cards are played and the USA athletes that finished 4+ are deleted, McPherson would be on the team, yes? The fly in this ointment is that weeding out the non-players from the list takes time, time that USATF did not factor into the equation by stipulating 1 July.

I have been a long-time critic of the USA Selection Policy, but this year's policy actually made sense to my reading of it. If you were Top-3 and could make the Rankings (in its final form) cut-off - you're in. There had to be a deadline, of course, but July 1 was not the right choice - both WA and USATF should see that.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          That's a completely different discussion than USATF's policy of taking 1-2-3 if they have the Standard or Qualified from the list.
          Despite the poor wording of their policy, I sure hope the intent was to honor the Top-3 dictum if at all possible. After all the cards are played and the USA athletes that finished 4+ are deleted, McPherson would be on the team, yes? The fly in this ointment is that weeding out the non-players from the list takes time, time that USATF did not factor into the equation by stipulating 1 July.

I have been a long-time critic of the USA Selection Policy, but this year's policy actually made sense to my reading of it. If you were Top-3 and could make the Rankings (in its final form) cut-off - you're in. There had to be a deadline, of course, but July 1 was not the right choice - both WA and USATF should see that.
          That's fine, but that wasn't my original point, which was made on the previous page.

Comment

McPherson got a direct call from USATF informing her that she was not selected.

Here is my take, fwiw...

With this process now being a selection based on ranking, and not necessarily finish at the Trials, Jelena Rowe is the athlete being 'wronged' to a greater extent. If the 'ranking' was strictly based on 2021 performance, Rowe is clearly the #2/#3 jumper in the US for the 2021 season. Tynita Butts-Townsend is enjoying a huge spike in her ranking based on her finish at the 2019 Doha WC's where she jumped a PB of 1.93 to finish 8th.

Jelena Rowe is a very young athlete (20y.o.) who has had a tremendous breakthrough season where she has jumped the Oly standard, and is one of three athletes to do so... (Cunningham, McCoy, Rowe)

McPherson is the vet with a tremendous history, and has to be applauded in jumping well when the pressure was on at the Olympic Trials, but her season has been indicative of an aging athlete.

Looking at the 2021 season only, Jelena Rowe is absolutely the #2/#3 jumper in the United States based on season average, and again, she has jumped the Oly standard. This is where the rankings going all the way back to 2019, is showing a flaw.

Let's also create a hypothetical... what if Rowe, or any athlete for that matter, simply had a one off circumstance at the Trials... illness, etc.? For simply that, an athlete who has been at the top of the event for the season doesn't deserve to go?

Here is the 2021 indoor/outdoor season for all three athletes...
            Jelena Rowe
            NH
            Top 6 average - 1.906
            Inika McPherson
            Top 6 average - 1.883
            Tynita Butts-Townsend
            Top 6 average - 1.850
            Again, I am looking at the 2021 season alone. After all, this is the 2021 Olympic Games. If my rationale is flawed, please feel free to point it out.
            My original point^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Michaelson View Post

Did you mean to write "Steven Gardiner" instead of "Michael Norman"?
              No, I didn't. This was done last year sometime. Obviously, it applies to Gardner now, as Norman did not try to double.
              Cheers,
              Alan Shank

Comment

My original point^^^
                That's all well and good, but doesn't impinge on who is actually selected. If you are proposing a new model for selection, THAT is a different discussion, one that I'd be happy to engage in.

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
                  I think I get it now. It's an order of operations thing.

Always parenthesize! Different programming languages use different rules about order of operations.!!
                  Cheers,
                  Alan Shank

Comment

Same question, different person asking--
                    When will the FINAL list of Team USA (for T&F) be named??
                    I saw a "those qualified" list from 2 days ago, and neither Richardson or McNeal are on it!
                    Yet Brianna is tweeting that's she's made the team, and people are still talking about Sha'Carri running the sprint relay!

Tough to do if you're NOT qualified!
                    LOL

Comment

Entries are due today

Comment

Entries are due today
                        And the envelope, please!
                        LOL

Comment

Entries are due today
                          There is definitely some cart-before-the horse going on here. WA needs to prune the list of the deadwood (people listed whose fed will not choose them), before you can make your final declarations, so people like McPherson get justice. There need to be prelim declarations 2 days before the final entries, so this can be sorted out.
                          The very fact that there are questions at this late date means the policy, as written, is unclear, and they need to address that now.

Comment

Nick Christie added at #60 in Rankings today. Joins his girlfriend and fellow OT winner Robyn Stevens in going to Tokyo.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                              There is definitely some cart-before-the horse going on here. WA needs to prune the list of the deadwood (people listed whose fed will not choose them), before you can make your final declarations, so people like McPherson get justice. There need to be prelim declarations 2 days before the final entries, so this can be sorted out.
                              The very fact that there are questions at this late date means the policy, as written, is unclear, and they need to address that now.
                              According to USATF rules and what we've seen on social media, McPherson is out. I'm also not sure what this has to do with today being the entry date.

Comment

According to USATF rules and what we've seen on social media, McPherson is out. I'm also not sure what this has to do with today being the entry date.
                                So what happens when the USA enters a top-3 finisher who is below other Americans and enters the 'accepted' number of athletes part of the list when the others are vacated?

Comment

Working...
                                X