Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    So what happens when the USA enters a top-3 finisher who is below other Americans and enters the 'accepted' number of athletes part of the list when the others are vacated?
    Huh? I have no idea what you just asked.

Comment

Originally posted by dupontred View Post
      So when will we know who fills out the rest of the US team? I think M and W Jav, WDisc, WHJ, and walks are still up in the air. Did I miss anything?

I did see Inika McPherson tweet she's made the team.
      At least some of these were known the day before; specifically Card was announced on July 1.

Wisconsin Track & Field @BadgerTrackXC Jul 1

Guess who was named to the U.S. Olympic team - again? Congratulations @KelseyCard27
      #TwoTimeOlympian #ThrowersRule

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
        Huh? I have no idea what you just asked.
        The hypothetical case:

1. USA enters an athlete (let's call her "O'Pherson"), who is not currently in a position to be in the Rankings quota.
        2. They do not enter the USA athletes above her, which then moves her up to be IN the quota.
        3. Will she be accepted as an entry?
        4. Would the USA even perform step 1, anticipating said vacancy?

Comment

I now anxiously await the naming of the Liberian Olympic Team. I see on his WA profile page that Joseph FAHNBULLEH is listed thusly:

COUNTRY ​​​​​​ Liberia
          • ELIGIBILITY
            USA until 13 JUN 2021 – eligible to represent LBR in National Representative Competitions (see World Athletics Eligibility to Represent a Member Rule 1.2.1 a) from 14 JUN 2021.

Comment

The hypothetical case:

1. USA enters an athlete (let's call her "O'Pherson"), who is not currently in a position to be in the Rankings quota.
            2. They do not enter the USA athletes above her, which then moves her up to be IN the quota.
            3. Will she be accepted as an entry?
            4. Would the USA even perform step 1, anticipating said vacancy?
            Weren't you the one pointing out that it was the rankings effictive July 1st which would be used? That's what the USATF process says. If that is the case McPherson was not a field filler and she should be out. While I agree that she "should" bump Townsend off by entering McPherson and displacing Townsend, that is not how the rule appears to read.

Based on the following, on July 1st Townsend was on the list and McPherson wasn't:

If, after the close of the 2020 U.S. Olympic Trials, there is a place or are places in an event(s) on the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team that have not been filled, USATF will enter an athlete(s) or designate an athlete as an alternate, based upon their rank order of place finish at the 2020 U.S. Olympic Trials, and who are on the July 1, 2021 list of World Athletics Qualified Athletes*.
            I have no dog in the wHJ fight at all. I'd just be curious how the decision was made.

Comment

So what happens when the USA enters a top-3 finisher who is below other Americans and enters the 'accepted' number of athletes part of the list when the others are vacated?
              I assume that bumps the "qualified" athlete off and bumps the other up...in this case McPherson over Townsend while WA would be fine with. The problem would be that it goes against what's written in the rules i.e. the July 1st date. My question isn't with WA. It is with USATF.

Edit: As an aside, McPherson is still very upset on instagram and it appears at this point she's not on the team.
              Last edited by NotDutra5; 07-06-2021, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                Weren't you the one pointing out that it was the rankings effictive July 1st which would be used? That's what the USATF process says. If that is the case McPherson was not a field filler and she should be out. While I agree that she "should" bump Townsend off by entering McPherson and displacing Townsend, that is not how the rule appears to read.
                Which occasioned my question. Will USATF do what it SHOULD be doing, which is to keep the 3-past-the-post as the highest priority. If that takes waiting out the athletes who were 4+, that should happen, but . . . . as you say, it sure doesn't look like what's happening.
                It just appears to me (I could be way off here), that USATF actually DID want the OT top-3, but failed to think it through how that could happen.

Comment

So whos missing from this USA team roster for track & field?

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2021/...thlete-roster/

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
                    So whos missing from this USA team roster for track & field?

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2021/...thlete-roster/
                    Before we get into the guessing game, until we get something from USATF, this isn't official.

Comment

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

Before we get into the guessing game, until we get something from USATF, this isn't official.
                      I thought the team roster was coming out today!
                      It's now 9:15 p.m. Pacific Time.
                      Are they waiting until 11:59 p.m.??
                      LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by aaronk View Post

I thought the team roster was coming out today!
                        Where did you read that?

Comment

• Originally posted by gm View Post

Where did you read that?
                          From comment #85--NotDutra5

"Entries are due today."

Comment

• Originally posted by aaronk View Post

From comment #85--NotDutra5

"Entries are due today."
                            Which doesn't say much as to when the team itself will be made public. I suspect the roster has to wait to be finalized through whatever process those being added via rankings has to go through.

Comment

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                              Which doesn't say much as to when the team itself will be made public. I suspect the roster has to wait to be finalized through whatever process those being added via rankings has to go through.
                              May I suggest that if that 'system' does not select McPherson (currently sitting 31st with McCoy and B-T deleted), it is already broken.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                                May I suggest that if that 'system' does not select McPherson (currently sitting 31st with McCoy and B-T deleted), it is already broken.
                                It is not broken. She just didn't jump high enough

Comment

Working...
                                X