Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

National Team announcements

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
    It is not broken. She just didn't jump high enough
    She beat the people who did.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      She beat the people who did.
      And so? She still didn't jump high enough to automatically qualify. And she didn't jump well enough over the past year or so to get her ranking high enough.
      So why the complaining? She knew what the qualifying rules were.

      Comment


      • The team is out. Both M-F walkers. Two M jav, (Thompson and Shuey), three W jav (Ince), Card as the third WDisc, and sadly no Inika. I think that is it for the outstanding questions. Hocker is in. Brianna out.

        https://www.usatf.org/news/2021/team...-tokyo-olympic
        Last edited by dupontred; 07-07-2021, 12:12 AM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

          And so? She still didn't jump high enough to automatically qualify. And she didn't jump well enough over the past year or so to get her ranking high enough.
          So why the complaining? She knew what the qualifying rules were.
          Doha was the important meet. Tynita made the final and Inika didn't. That was the decider and Inika didn't do well enough since then to override that placement difference.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

            And so? She still didn't jump high enough to automatically qualify. And she didn't jump well enough over the past year or so to get her ranking high enough.
            So why the complaining? She knew what the qualifying rules were.
            The way the rules were so poorly worded, almost nobody knew what they were.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by booond View Post

              Doha was the important meet. Tynita made the final and Inika didn't. That was the decider and Inika didn't do well enough since then to override that placement difference.
              Which is why in a situation like this, a bit of luck came into play. If you did well in 2019, you got lucky since no one could predict the pandemic would upended the opportunity to travel and compete in general for everyone for over a year. Yes McPherson didnt do well in Doha, but her ability to make up for that was partly out of her control.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by ATK View Post
                Yes McPherson didnt do well in Doha, but her ability to make up for that was partly out of her control.
                Yes, unlike any other athlete, anywhere in the world.

                To me it looks like TB-T made the effort to compete in a couple of higher level international meets in the 2020 indoor season whereas McPherson didn't. This was probably what kept TB-T riding higher in the charts - after that she was ranked 16 vs McP's 37, compared to 21 vs 27 now.

                McPherson hasn't jumped the Q height in the last what, 4 years? She's 34 years old, so expectations of getting back up to that height were realistically limited. This clearly left her with the need to get top three at trials WITH the highest ranking possible to ensure selection. She just didn't manage it.

                Comment


                • Regarding Francine Niyonsaba, seems she may be having issues being selected for the Burundi Olympic team despite running the qualifying time in the 5000m and the 10000m.

                  https://twitter.com/FrancineNiyons4/...81831753949185

                  Translation from Kinyarwanda isnt perfect but her post seems to note that the Burundian National Olympic Committee is only taking certain athletes and that she may not be one of them? Notably ending off saying she is looking forward to Paris and it will be exciting.
                  Last edited by ATK; 07-07-2021, 01:40 PM.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    I now anxiously await the naming of the Liberian Olympic Team. I see on his WA profile page that Joseph FAHNBULLEH is listed thusly:

                    COUNTRY ​​​​​​ Liberia
                    • ELIGIBILITY
                      USA until 13 JUN 2021 – eligible to represent LBR in National Representative Competitions (see World Athletics Eligibility to Represent a Member Rule 1.2.1 a) from 14 JUN 2021.
                    https://ccxmedia.org/sports/olympic-...n-in-olympics/

                    Comment


                    • Nigerian Team
                      https://theathleticheat.com/okagbare...okyo-olympics/

                      No shocks. What most were interested in knowing were what 3 would be chosen to represent the country in the mens 100m event (as we had more than 3 with the standard). Raymond Ekevwo (All-African games 100m champion) has been left out. A pity because he quite talented in my opinion (9.96 pb) however think he has been struggling with injury this season. He is back racing but probably not in 'competitive' shape.

                      Ese Brume (long jump) and Tobi Amusan (100m hurdles) are our medal hopefuls. I think there is a decent chance they can end up on the podium. A slim chance for Okagbare, Oduduru, Echikunwoke (wHT) and w4x100.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Zelex View Post
                        Nigerian Team

                        No shocks.
                        At least there is no W 4x400m in there after that unsportsmanlike race a few weeks back.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Zelex View Post
                          Nigerian Team
                          https://theathleticheat.com/okagbare...okyo-olympics/

                          No shocks. What most were interested in knowing were what 3 would be chosen to represent the country in the mens 100m event (as we had more than 3 with the standard). Raymond Ekevwo (All-African games 100m champion) has been left out. A pity because he quite talented in my opinion (9.96 pb) however think he has been struggling with injury this season. He is back racing but probably not in 'competitive' shape.

                          Ese Brume (long jump) and Tobi Amusan (100m hurdles) are our medal hopefuls. I think there is a decent chance they can end up on the podium. A slim chance for Okagbare, Oduduru, Echikunwoke (wHT) and w4x100.
                          Dont forget Usoro. Her chances are slim in the TJ, but she does have an outside shot at significantly improving or capitalizing on someone else's mistakes in the TJ.

                          But yea Brume I see as probably the top gold medal threat here.

                          Really unfortunate with Ekevwo being injured this year, but I think he is a serious threat to drop some fast times in the 100m in the coming years.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Zelex View Post
                            Nigerian Team
                            . . . .mens 100m event (as we had more than 3 with the standard).
                            I very much like that you bring a Nigerian perspective. We definitely need more posters representing other countries around the world. While this is an American site with a predominance of USA posters, WORLD Athletics is much more interesting with its widely diverse offerings.

                            Comment


                            • Twitter is saying Laura Muir will run the 1500 only, and that Alex Bell will replace her in the 800!

                              Comment


                              • see story now on home page about Sweden leaving behind 22nd-ranked 800 runner Lovisa Lindh

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X