• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gh
    Administrator
    • Oct 2005
    • west of Westeros

Men's 400: Another WC Chance For Campbell

1 Campbell, Milton unattached 46.17^ 1 (.167)
    2 Merritt, LaShawn Nike 46.17^ 2 (.169)
    3 Washington, Tyree Nike 46.18^ 1
    4 Spearmon, Wallace Nike 46.67^ 2
    5 Davis, James Phenetix Int 46.85^ 2
    6 Hogans, Obra Reebok 47.02^ 1
    7 Ashley, Jamel Reebok 47.23 2
    8 Homewood, Dirk Reebok 47.76 1
  • eldrick
    • Oct 2005
    • 19th hole st andrews

he's come up short too many times in the past to trust him to win the individual

great to see a mega-talent like lashawn going - that's champ material !

Comment

• slowcoach
      • Oct 2005

How can they give the title to Campbell? I mean we're talking about a difference of about 15mm or 0.6in. In two different races. :?

Comment

• Daisy
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by slowcoach
        How can they give the title to Campbell? I mean we're talking about a difference of about 15mm or 0.6in. In two different races. :?
        I can imagine that the 2 thousandths are easily separated when they are on the same photo finish picture. Must have been a great race.

EDIT: hang on I just realised they were in different races!! (strange format?) There is no way their timing equipment is accurate enough to distiniguish those times. i agree with slowcoach, they definitely should have awarded two golds.

Comment

• gm
          • Oct 2005

The timing equipment is plenty accurate.

Comment

• Daisy
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by gm
            The timing equipment is plenty accurate.
            Do you happen to know what the stated standard error for the photofinish equipment with regard to comparing times from two different races? From your confident reply i am assuming less than +/- 1000th of a second.

Comment

• gm
              • Oct 2005

details here:

http://www.finishlynx.com/products/fini ... s/body.htm

same camera, same finish line, same lighting, no problem with thousandths

Comment

• Daisy
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by gm
                same camera, same finish line, same lighting, no problem with thousandths
                Nice link. So they can distinguish "5/10000th of a second at any image height". So +/- 0.5 thousands of a second.

It sounds like they are pretty close to the resolution, but I will accept that 2 thousands is possible if they have identical conditions betweeen the races.

Comment

• tlb747
                  • Oct 2005

Same thing happened to me about six years ago, but it was to seperate third and fourth place.

Comment

• slowcoach
                    • Oct 2005

I have no doubt they can measure discrete periods of time as small as they claim, but a line on a computer screen can only be so slim. If it occupies any width, then this width translates to time. After all, a human operator is lining up a line with a human torso...

Comment

• Daisy
                      • Oct 2005

I have no doubt they can measure discrete periods of time as small as they claim, but a line on a computer screen can only be so slim. If it occupies any width, then this width translates to time. After all, a human operator is lining up a line with a human torso...
                      They should be able to expand the picture so that the monitor resolution is not an issue. But you are correct that the human error of the alignment will also come into play.

Comment

• tandfman
                        • Oct 2005

Breaking ties by reading pictures to the 1/1000th of a second is standard procedure. It's done all the time.

Comment

• Daisy
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by tandfman
                          Breaking ties by reading pictures to the 1/1000th of a second is standard procedure. It's done all the time.
                          Agreed, but not usually comparing between two different races.

Comment

• tandfman
                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Daisy
                            Quite to the contrary. It's done all the time in that situation, usually where there are time qualifiers for a semifinal or final and two runners in different heats have the same hudredths time. They decide who advances by reading both images to the thousandth.

Comment

• Daisy
                              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Daisy
                              Quite to the contrary. It's done all the time in that situation, usually where there are time qualifiers for a semifinal or final and two runners in different heats have the same hudredths time. They decide who advances by reading both images to the thousandth.
                              O.K. so are you saying they would make that kind of call based on a 1 thousandth difference? Why not just toss a coin? Just because one can do it does not mean one should do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X