Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High Jump Injustice at the Olympic Trials?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steele View Post
    So much for European countries investing in the sport. See article on home page re: Lovisa Lindh, Swedish 800m runner. Ranked 22nd in the world, SOC won't send her to Tokyo because (they don't think) she has a real shot at making the final.
    And she doesn't, but I hope that's not the point. She has done very well and her country should support those kinds of athletes. Pretty discouraging to those who are coming up or sticking around to have a shot at being an Olympian.

Comment

Originally posted by Steele View Post
      So much for European countries investing in the sport. See article on home page re: Lovisa Lindh, Swedish 800m runner. Ranked 22nd in the world, SOC won't send her to Tokyo because (they don't think) she has a real shot at making the final.
      Dumb. If it's a money issue, at least give the athlete the option of paying their own way.

​​​​​​And it's not just about winning medals or reaching the final right now; it's also about getting Olympic experience so they'll be better prepared in future World champs and Olympic games, rather than underperforming due to being overwhelmed by the grandeur of it all, like what happened to SydMac in Rio.

And a PB in the Olympics could attract sponsorship that a struggling athlete needs to quit their day job and train full time for the next Games.

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

Dumb. If it's a money issue, at least give the athlete the option of paying their own way.

​​​​​​And it's not just about winning medals or reaching the final right now; it's also about getting Olympic experience so they'll be better prepared in future World champs and Olympic games, rather than underperforming due to being overwhelmed by the grandeur of it all, like what happened to SydMac in Rio.

And a PB in the Olympics could attract sponsorship that a struggling athlete needs to quit their day job and train full time for the next Games.
        This has happened many times before...even Britain..federations politely telling their athletes it is time to move on....

...and as far as I know the IOC doesn’t allow individuals to come on their own...

As for sponsorship that is putting a huge load on could..... Sweden isn't a cheap place to live. Besides Mondo how many Swedish track athletes have any sponsorship now?

Britain is the most popular European country for track and almost all their athletes depend on government lottery money.
        Last edited by Conor Dary; 07-08-2021, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
          ...and as far as I know the IOC doesn’t allow individuals to come on their own...
          I didn't mean going on their own. I meant letting the athlete join the team if the athlete will pay the costs associated with being added to the team and traveling to Tokyo to compete.

So if her presence on the team would cost the Swedish federation an extra 15,000 Euros in travel and other such expenses, let her pay the federation the 15K so she can go.

Leaving a qualified athlete at home is reasonable if there is a need to control costs, but not if the athlete will provide the money for it. The Jamaican bobsled team did that a few years ago (2014?) by raising money via GoFundMe.
          Last edited by 18.99s; 07-08-2021, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Who knows...but I doubt it is cost of taking the runner...they are only sending 3 women runners and 2 are in the 10,000....and the other in the marathon...races with only finals..

Unlike the US many European AFs these days are at the mercy of the government....who won't notice a Swede is not in an event but will notice the failure when an athlete doesn't advance to the final. As I said it is not uncommon.

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

Given she is 29, and her PB is from 2017, it's not likely that she will run another PB this year. And she already got her Olympic experience in Rio. So I don't think running in another Olympics, especially in the empty stadium, is likely to help her prepare for future championships.

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post

Given she is 29, and her PB is from 2017, it's not likely that she will run another PB this year. And she already got her Olympic experience in Rio. So I don't think running in another Olympics, especially in the empty stadium, is likely to help her prepare for future championships.
                Yeah....time to move on. Athletics except for a very few is not a career.

Comment

It's completely reasonable for them to refuse to pay for her trip (and related admin/legal/logistic/etc costs) for those reasons.

But if she will provide the funds, and they still refuse, then what is the reason? Pride? That she'll bring shame upon Sweden by being eliminated in the semifinals?

Comment

She will be 30 tomorrow - Happy Birthday your career is over.

She has a higher ranking than Mu. Why? She has run in many Euro meets with a higher ranking than Mu's meets. Mu beat the world ranking leader at the OT and scored 100 placement points while Lindh earned 120 and 130 points running in Oslo and Stockholm and placing 5th and 6th.

Comment

• That she'll bring shame upon Sweden by being eliminated in the semifinals?

For some administrative official....you bet...

Comment

• Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

It's completely reasonable for them to refuse to pay for her trip (and related admin/legal/logistic/etc costs) for those reasons.

But if she will provide the funds, and they still refuse, then what is the reason? Pride? That she'll bring shame upon Sweden by being eliminated in the semifinals?
                        I was just commenting on your point that sending her would benefit her future career growth.
                        If she were in her early 20s, and this would have been her first Olympics, they could have made a different decision.

Comment

Working...
                        X