Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Tokyo roster

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Other than the Walks, we are just one mJTer short of a full boat.
    On the flipside, other than the Javelin, were just 4 walkers short of a full boat 🙂

    Comment


    • #17
      Jenna Prandini is listed as the number 3 runner in the 100. Does that mean Prandini has told USATF that she has decided to run both the 100 and 200? Or is that just an automatic move up and no input from Prandini was needed or implied?

      Or to put it another way, is there still a chance that Prandini won't run the 100, and Gabby Thomas still might get the 3rd spot in the 100?

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by ATK View Post

        Technically she wouldn't have bumped anyone because Gabby Thomas, who was named to the 4x100 pool, is already on the team in the 200m. By virtue of being on team USA, Thomas is technically already in the relay pool. So they could have kept her name off and had Richardson listed in the pool without anyone missing out on the team.
        I thought there was a maximum number allowed for the relay pool.

        Comment


        • #19
          Usatf getting slammed on social media for something they had no control over.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by ATK View Post

            Technically she wouldn't have bumped anyone because Gabby Thomas, who was named to the 4x100 pool, is already on the team in the 200m. By virtue of being on team USA, Thomas is technically already in the relay pool. So they could have kept her name off and had Richardson listed in the pool without anyone missing out on the team.
            That's what I thought. So it was conscious decision not to take her. The correct one IMO but she could have gone according to the rules.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

              I thought there was a maximum number allowed for the relay pool.
              Yes, 3 people. They could have named Gardner, Hobbs and Richardson and no one would lose out since Gabby Thomas is already in Tokyo for the 200m

              Comment


              • #22
                Thomas would probably lose out on a medal, at least silver, if she was not included in the pool.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                  Thomas would probably lose out on a medal, at least silver, if she was not included in the pool.
                  Just to be clear, being in the pool has nothing to do with who actually runs in Tokyo. Rai Benjamin and Sydney McLaughlin were not named to any relay pool but they almost certainly will run the relay. Your in Tokyo, your in the relay pool. Raevyn Saunders and Athing Mu are equally "in the relay pool".

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    To clarify the Thomas "situation". While it is true that she could run the 4x100m because she is entered in the meet elsewhere, WA rules require all athletes including alternates entered in the corresponding individual events to also be listed in that events relay pool. Thomas is only listed in the 4x100m relay pool because she is the alternate in the 100m much like Bednarek in the men's 100, Trevor Stewart and Kendall Ellis in the 400m races as well.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by ATK View Post

                      Yes, 3 people. They could have named Gardner, Hobbs and Richardson and no one would lose out since Gabby Thomas is already in Tokyo for the 200m
                      If they wanted to do that, the US would have to designate one of those three as the alternate in the 100m.

                      Technically for the US the relay pools have 2 additional members and 1 is considered an alternate of the 6. No idea why it is done this way. So it's the 4 athletes in the individual event, 1 additional athlete and 1 alternate.

                      The mixed relays add another 2 athletes male and female which I was aware of but there is an alternate as well. Looks like the US is passing on the alternate or I just don't see who it is.
                      Last edited by NotDutra5; 07-07-2021, 02:43 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                        Thomas would probably lose out on a medal, at least silver, if she was not included in the pool.
                        Being in the relay pool doesn't entitle you to a medal if the team wins a medal. It's necessary to actually run a round of the relay to get a medal, and theoretically it's possible for all the athletes in the 6-name pool to end up watching the relays as spectators while their teammates from other events run the relay.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

                          If they wanted to do that, the US would have to designate one of those three as the alternate in the 100m.

                          Technically for the US the relay pools have 2 additional members and 1 is considered an alternate of the 6. No idea why it is done this way. So it's the 4 athletes in the individual event, 1 additional athlete and 1 alternate.

                          The mixed relays add another 2 athletes male and female which I was aware of but there is an alternate as well. Looks like the US is passing on the alternate or I just don't see who it is.
                          Yes, So they could have technically made Gardiner the alternate with Richardson and Hobbs in the pool and no one looses out. (The only "loss" is that, Thomas wouldn't be able to double if one of the 3 dropped out). But anyway, the team is the team.

                          You do see it right, the the Mixed relay does have an "alternate" but its the 8th placer in the 400m. So it looks like (and I'm just realizing it now) they have 2 athletes for the mixed relay pool (1 male and 1 female) then 2 alternates (1 male 1 female). I guess the thought is the 4x400 pool members would be used?

                          But honestly, the technicalities dont matter when you get down to it. Shea Anderson is listed as mixed relay pool alternate, but her spot is no different than Whitney, Irby or Manson as they all can run any relay at any point in Tokyo

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by dupontred View Post
                            Usatf getting slammed on social media for something they had no control over.
                            What a pathetic world we live in when a governing body gets slammed for acting with integrity.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              By people who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

                                What a pathetic world we live in when a governing body gets slammed for acting with integrity.
                                haters gotta hate

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X