Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NotDutra5
    replied
    To clarify the Thomas "situation". While it is true that she could run the 4x100m because she is entered in the meet elsewhere, WA rules require all athletes including alternates entered in the corresponding individual events to also be listed in that events relay pool. Thomas is only listed in the 4x100m relay pool because she is the alternate in the 100m much like Bednarek in the men's 100, Trevor Stewart and Kendall Ellis in the 400m races as well.

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
    Thomas would probably lose out on a medal, at least silver, if she was not included in the pool.
    Just to be clear, being in the pool has nothing to do with who actually runs in Tokyo. Rai Benjamin and Sydney McLaughlin were not named to any relay pool but they almost certainly will run the relay. Your in Tokyo, your in the relay pool. Raevyn Saunders and Athing Mu are equally "in the relay pool".

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    Thomas would probably lose out on a medal, at least silver, if she was not included in the pool.

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

I thought there was a maximum number allowed for the relay pool.
    Yes, 3 people. They could have named Gardner, Hobbs and Richardson and no one would lose out since Gabby Thomas is already in Tokyo for the 200m

Leave a comment:

• Flumpy
    replied
    Originally posted by ATK View Post

Technically she wouldn't have bumped anyone because Gabby Thomas, who was named to the 4x100 pool, is already on the team in the 200m. By virtue of being on team USA, Thomas is technically already in the relay pool. So they could have kept her name off and had Richardson listed in the pool without anyone missing out on the team.
    That's what I thought. So it was conscious decision not to take her. The correct one IMO but she could have gone according to the rules.

Leave a comment:

• dupontred
    replied
    Usatf getting slammed on social media for something they had no control over.

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    Originally posted by ATK View Post

Technically she wouldn't have bumped anyone because Gabby Thomas, who was named to the 4x100 pool, is already on the team in the 200m. By virtue of being on team USA, Thomas is technically already in the relay pool. So they could have kept her name off and had Richardson listed in the pool without anyone missing out on the team.
    I thought there was a maximum number allowed for the relay pool.

Leave a comment:

• RunningInCircles
    replied
    Jenna Prandini is listed as the number 3 runner in the 100. Does that mean Prandini has told USATF that she has decided to run both the 100 and 200? Or is that just an automatic move up and no input from Prandini was needed or implied?

Or to put it another way, is there still a chance that Prandini won't run the 100, and Gabby Thomas still might get the 3rd spot in the 100?

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Other than the Walks, we are just one mJTer short of a full boat.
    On the flipside, other than the Javelin, were just 4 walkers short of a full boat 🙂

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Other than the Walks, we are just one mJTer short of a full boat.

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    Originally posted by asindc View Post

Was the rule changed or did USATF just decline to choose SCR for the team?
    The rule was changed at some point before the Trials.

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Originally posted by Flumpy View Post
    But would her being included mean someone else was bumped from the team or would she have been extra?

Leave a comment:

• asindc
    replied
    Originally posted by guru View Post

Yes. Apparently the rule was changed to allow coaches to pick two alternates irrespective of their individual event status(previously had to be a team member in some event). This came as news to me, and I'd be curious to know if anyone(perhaps polevaultpower) would know why this rule was quietly amended this year.
    Was the rule changed or did USATF just decline to choose SCR for the team?

Leave a comment:

• Flumpy
    replied
    But would her being included mean someone else was bumped from the team or would she have been extra?

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    Originally posted by Flumpy View Post
    Top 6 are automatically in relay pool and anyone else on the team can be used but could Sha'Carri have technically been named only for the relay under the rules?

Yes. Apparently the rule was changed to allow coaches to pick two alternates irrespective of their individual event status(previously had to be a team member in some event). This came as news to me, and I'd be curious to know if anyone(perhaps polevaultpower) would know why this rule was quietly amended this year.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X