Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post

Monaco had excellent conditions, and was the perfect opportunity for one of the women to go sub 22. Even though a 22.2 is of course a great run, i did expect more. I think for some it underlined the doubt they may have had regarding SMU winning this event in Tokyo.
    A 2018 SMU would have run sub 22 here. And she would not have just beaten Ta Lou.

I agree that DAS and ET won't run sub 22 in Gateshead. If they do I will be massively impressed. The track is not fast and the weather will be naff.
    I remember Cathy taking down Inger Miller in 2000 in awful conditions and I think the track record is 22.25 for SRR in 2007 but some correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by proofs in the pudd'in View Post

Ok found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Para-a...classification

"T" stands for Track / T20 - Intellectual disabilities, T38 - Cerebral Palsy, and T47 - Arm impairment including amputees.

Still not sure what mixed category is exactly.
      There's no mixed category, the mixing refers to the different classifications competing in a single race rather than only against others of the same category. Although they compete against each other, placings are still decided by classification not overall result.

These mixed events are used so that meeting organisers can run a full field once, rather than three or four separate races for each category with one or two athletes. There's rarely enough of any single category to make a full field unless you get to a major para championsip and not always then.

They do tend to still run separate men's and women's races for the para events.

Comment

Dina has pulled out of Gateshead DL with a 'tight hamstring'. Doesn't sound serious but does mean we will be none the wiser going into Tokyo.

The w200m is a complete mystery.

Comment

Disappointing. Hopefully DAS is ready to go in 2 weeks and I dont doubt she will be.

But With all the ups and downs this year, I honestly would not be surprised if Miller-Uibo actually ends up winning the 200/400 double in Tokyo.

Comment

Originally posted by El Toro View Post

There's no mixed category, the mixing refers to the different classifications competing in a single race rather than only against others of the same category. Although they compete against each other, placings are still decided by classification not overall result.

These mixed events are used so that meeting organisers can run a full field once, rather than three or four separate races for each category with one or two athletes. There's rarely enough of any single category to make a full field unless you get to a major para championsip and not always then.

They do tend to still run separate men's and women's races for the para events.
            Thanks for the info, I just used the terminology they used on their webpage: "100m Mixed Category Men" and "100m Mixed Category Woman."

Comment

Originally posted by proofs in the pudd'in View Post

Thanks for the info, I just used the terminology they used on their webpage: "100m Mixed Category Men" and "100m Mixed Category Woman."
              Yes, that's perfectly reasonable to be confused. They probably should have said Mixed Categories or Multiple Categories because they are more accurate descriptions but I've seen the original misuse a lot.

Just like I've heard a lot of athletes/swimmers talk about "lactating hard" or similar, when they were producing no milk from their breasts at all... [Lactic acidosis reference for those not familiar]

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
                Disappointing. Hopefully DAS is ready to go in 2 weeks and I dont doubt she will be.

But With all the ups and downs this year, I honestly would not be surprised if Miller-Uibo actually ends up winning the 200/400 double in Tokyo.
                She said it was just precautionary so close to Tokyo.

The 200m has been weird. None of the regular favourites have had consistently good races: SMU has been beaten for the first time in nearly 4 years; Thomas had a period of 3 races at basically 23 secs before running a crazy 21.6 and then nothing since, pulling out of meets; nothing fast from Thompson yet and only 3rd in her Trials; DAS with simply not enough racing; SAFP averaging nearly 1 seconds behind her 21.7 PB, an outlier. Schippers struggling with injury. The most impressive and consistent one has been Jackson, who wouldn't have been on a list of contenders at the start of the year, followed by Prandini, from a consistency perspective at least. Ta Lou is also running to form.

I still think this will be a fantastically competitive event in Tokyo, but I won't be surprised if not all start, and someone is going to underperform.

Comment

I still think this will be a fantastically competitive event in Tokyo, but I won't be surprised if not all start, and someone is going to underperform.
                  I think what your post highlights is that it almost certainly will be competitive. If the top 5 in the final all run between 22.00 - 22.10. That would be super competitive

Comment

She said it was just precautionary so close to Tokyo.

The 200m has been weird. None of the regular favourites have had consistently good races: SMU has been beaten for the first time in nearly 4 years; Thomas had a period of 3 races at basically 23 secs before running a crazy 21.6 and then nothing since, pulling out of meets;
                    Thomas had a lower back injury in April which turned out to be a benign tumor. She ran 22.12 after that and prior to the USOT. That said, her not competing since should raise some eyebrows.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

Thomas had a lower back injury in April which turned out to be a benign tumor. She ran 22.12 after that and prior to the USOT. That said, her not competing since should raise some eyebrows.
                      Why? Are we raising eyebrows about McLaughlin, Muhammad, Prandini, Lyles, Benjamin, Hayes, Felix etc?

Comment

Why? Are we raising eyebrows about McLaughlin, Muhammad, Prandini, Lyles, Benjamin, Hayes, Felix etc?
                        Mainly because she was entered, I think twice, and withdrew.

Comment

Well yes, I raise my eyebrows at any athlete that won't compete between the US Trials and Tokyo, to some degree, depending how often they have competed.
                          I appreciate we are in covid times, but when athletes only compete in their own country before a champs, when others from that neck of the woods are competing, eg the top Jamaicans, it does raise eyebrows.

Athletes form any other country running WRs and times in the top 5 all time that only compete in their own country would get serious stick if they're not American. Just saying.

Note, Muhammad was originally down to run in Hungary last week too, but withdrew.

Comment

It's all about Tokyo after the Trials. It doesn't matter what interim meets there are, unless you're just desperate for cash.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
                              It's all about Tokyo after the Trials. It doesn't matter what interim meets there are, unless you're just desperate for cash.
                              The fact that the majority of the athletes and in fact fans think this way, is one of the things I least like about this sport.

Comment

Well yes, I raise my eyebrows at any athlete that won't compete between the US Trials and Tokyo, to some degree, depending how often they have competed.
                                I appreciate we are in covid times, but when athletes only compete in their own country before a champs, when others from that neck of the woods are competing, eg the top Jamaicans, it does raise eyebrows.

Athletes form any other country running WRs and times in the top 5 all time that only compete in their own country would get serious stick if they're not American. Just saying.

Note, Muhammad was originally down to run in Hungary last week too, but withdrew.
                                I could get with the questioning an athlete after they entered then pulled out as NotDutra noted (and you did about Muhammad though she pulled out I think at least a week before the meet happened), but the explanation Benjamin gave about why he pulled out of Monaco is a valid excuse and enough for me to not question anyone.

This year has to be put into context. Tokyo (+14 from Central) has a much larger time change for Americans travel wise than Rio 2016 (+2 from Central) or London 2012 (+6 from Central) did. While Beijing 2008 (+13 from Central) saw more time between trials and the games (40 days compared to 32 this year). And the pandemic cannot be overstated. Athletes cannot just go to set up camp either in Europe for the summer and/or in east Asia leading up to the games to adjust to the time difference as easily in years past.

Also there are few (really no) countries that have a cut throat trials like the US that basically matters as much as the Olympics (and no medical exception we can pick you if we want clauses). So the comparison to athletes from other countries isnt equal.

Comment

Working...
                                X