Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because of the intensity of the competition and the need to peak for the US Trials necessitates down time and a return to specialized training.
    I'm amazed that ANY USA athletes compete in the interim DLs at all!!

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
      I could get with the questioning an athlete after they entered then pulled out as NotDutra noted (and you did about Muhammad though she pulled out I think at least a week before the meet happened), but the explanation Benjamin gave about why he pulled out of Monaco is a valid excuse and enough for me to not question anyone.

This year has to be put into context. Tokyo (+14 from Central) has a much larger time change for Americans travel wise than Rio 2016 (+2 from Central) or London 2012 (+6 from Central) did. While Beijing 2008 (+13 from Central) saw more time between trials and the games (40 days compared to 32 this year). And the pandemic cannot be overstated. Athletes cannot just go to set up camp either in Europe for the summer and/or in east Asia leading up to the games to adjust to the time difference as easily in years past.

Also there are few (really no) countries that have a cut throat trials like the US that basically matters as much as the Olympics (and no medical exception we can pick you if we want clauses). So the comparison to athletes from other countries isnt equal.
      Also...the entries into the meet were likely made long ago when there'd be no way of knowing of how an athlete would recover. In Thomas' case it was the fact that she was apparently entered and withdrew from two meets that make me wonder. That also could have been a case of long ago plans made that were changed at the last minute....and I hope that's the case.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

Also...the entries into the meet were likely made long ago when there'd be no way of knowing of how an athlete would recover. In Thomas' case it was the fact that she was apparently entered and withdrew from two meets that make me wonder. That also could have been a case of long ago plans made that were changed at the last minute....and I hope that's the case.
        As I said in the late withdrawals thread, due to her previous issues with whereabouts, it is going to raise some fans eyebrows.

I totally get what people are saying regarding the intensity of the US Trials. I get the travel impact to Tokyo. But....if they have been only competing in their own country pre Trials, and nowhere post Trials...its no different to Russian & Chinese athletes competing only at home, effectively behind locked doors, prior to Champs. And y'all would be quick to point the fingers at them.

Comment

Surely if an athlete was consciously hiding they'd be wise not to enter and then withdraw from repeated meets. It's just drawing attention to oneself.

I'll go with Occam's Razor here - they did intend to compete but then something changed.

Comment

Originally posted by AS View Post
            I'll go with Occam's Razor here - they did intend to compete but then something changed.
            I agree that's the more likely explanation, at least for the vast majority. I'm just making the point some people will question it.

Interestingly, Renee Ann Shirley tweeted "hummmmm ....this caught my eye.." on a Reuters article on DAS's withdrawal. When questioned whether she would go and test her if she were in charge, she tweeted "yes" and then went on to tweet "Aths peaking/SPs/PBs, aths withdrawing from events, aths heading to remote camps just b4 mjr event, etc...all flags for pre-games target testing"

Comment

Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
              I'm just making the point some people will question it.
              oh originally I thought by questioning you meant potential injury. But I see what your saying.
              ​​​​
              I'm going to bet most athletes in the sport don't care that much. They know people are going to "question" them with anything they do and any move they make, good or bad.

These athletes are fine and are preparing for the ultimate goal of Tokyo. How the chose to compete or not is none of our business.
              Last edited by ATK; 07-12-2021, 11:03 AM.

Comment

As I said in the late withdrawals thread, due to her previous issues with whereabouts, it is going to raise some fans eyebrows.

I totally get what people are saying regarding the intensity of the US Trials. I get the travel impact to Tokyo. But....if they have been only competing in their own country pre Trials, and nowhere post Trials...its no different to Russian & Chinese athletes competing only at home, effectively behind locked doors, prior to Champs. And y'all would be quick to point the fingers at them.
                Don't point your finger so quickly. Many here aren't incurable gossip-mongers.

Comment

I agree that's the more likely explanation, at least for the vast majority. I'm just making the point some people will question it.

We know the point you're trying to make.

Comment

I would imagine that for a finely tuned athlete, the US Trials are more than just demanding on one's muscles, but on their minds, nervous systems and endocrine systems, as well. There could be any number of reasons to withdraw from meets falling in between the Trials and the Big O's.

There is also the consideration that it might not be in the athlete's best interest to allow the competition to know if they are facing problems. Holding such information in confidence is not that different from pitchers covering their mouths when discussing pitches with the catchers.

I know that it is frustrating to us fans, but as others have pointed out, we are discussing professional athletes, not racing machines. It is in their own self-interest to perform at their best, when it counts, both for themselves and their sponsors.

Comment

Athletes only have themselves to satisfy and if I was choosing between an Olympic Games and a few DL meets, I know what I would choose.

The time zone difference and days between trials and Games valid as shared above. In the past lots of athletes visited countries before the Games, when they've been outside of the usual circuit. Adjusting to Japan which is different in many ways will be another factor.

I would personally be nervous with the last time I ran being at home and then not again until the heats of the Games, more for Thomas I guess as she won't have the 100m to get the rust off as she did in Eugene. A tumour of any kind would be concerning and expel a lot of nervous energy waiting for confirmation.

Dry and 17 degrees tomorrow, let's see what Thompson can do after her PB in Hungry.

Comment

Start lists are now available:

Comment

apropos of nothing, it's interesting to note that when DL meets are the Entries stage, the schedule is listed in host-city time but when they convert to Start Lists the time switches whatever your computer is set on.

Comment

Typical English weather predicted for Gatehead DL. 18°C and 63% chance of rain for 2:00pm.

What is the risk of injury in such conditions?

Comment

I preferred it when the BBC just took a feed.

These talking heads drive me crazy.

No rain, thankfully.
                              My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

Pichardo jumps 17.29m on his first attempt and is passing the rest, knowing no one in the field can touch that. Let's hope he doesn't foul in round 6 and end up finishing 2nd or 3rd...

Hes safe with a 17.50m jump in round 6.

But Pereira ends up 3rd despite jumping 17.11m to Bocchi's 17.04m
                                Last edited by ATK; 07-13-2021, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X