Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 Gateshead DL2

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    LR is lit up on him. All pure speculation.
    In the best traditions of current journalism. Make partial quotations, and out of context. And then fall back on acronyms. What is LR? I was just asking a simple question re a guy who set three PRs, each of which is, I think, better than the American Record in the event. And if there is rumor (talk) about something shady - so common in T&F circles nowadays - why are people so shy suddenly? Or has GH tightened up considerably on what will get one banned from this forum?

    Comment


    • #92
      LR is Let's Run web site. The rule of thumb regarding discussion of rumors is to essentially avoid them. Facts are always welcome.

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by ATK View Post
        Though I'm less inclined to think women will pull out of the 200m during an Olympic year compared to a World Championship year, there are parts of me that also wouldn't be surprised if she pulled out of the 200m.

        Aside from her and SMU, I would actually be surprised if the others (including ETH) didn't attempt the 200m since for most of them (DAS, Prandini, Thomas, Jackson) thats probably their "better" event.
        SAFP has certainly made it clear she wants to double, so the intention is there. Same for Thompson and the others. But I do think the outcome of the 100m placings may influence decisions, as well as exertions, fatigue and how the body reacts after what appears to be a competitive 100m. With SAFP's age (yes she is in her best form, but she hasn't had to face 3 rds on the 100 and 3 rds of the 200m since Moscow 2013) and Thompson & DAS having to manage injuries (achilles/ hamstring..) I envisage one of the top women will get some sort of niggle and DNS the 200m.

        It's more of a gut feeling rather than anything, and obviously I hope this doesn't happen.

        Comment


        • #94
          Good point Wiederganger. A lot of variables will come into play with respect to the short sprints. While it makes handicapping the races more challenging, it will certainly keep us more attentative to the earlier rounds than normal.

          Comment


          • #95
            Noticed that Sandi Morris steadied the bar with her left hand during her opening-height "clearance" of 4.51 (14-9½). Hope she doesn't encounter a more-attentive official down the road.

            Comment


            • #96
              Originally posted by Davidokun View Post
              Noticed that Sandi Morris steadied the bar with her left hand during her opening-height "clearance" of 4.51 (14-9½). Hope she doesn't encounter a more-attentive official down the road.
              Saw that too. I take it that's not allowed?

              Too bad, it seems to me if you have the presence of mind and coordination to pull that off mid-flight that ought to count.
              You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

              Comment


              • #97
                Ah, yes. Volzing.

                Comment


                • #98
                  Originally posted by KevinR View Post
                  Good point Wiederganger. A lot of variables will come into play with respect to the short sprints. While it makes handicapping the races more challenging, it will certainly keep us more attentative to the earlier rounds than normal.

                  I don't recall a year where the women's 100/200 sprint picture has been subject to such rumblings and volatility in the 2 months prior to the Olympics. Throw in the 400 and this year has an almost manic depressive quality to it.

                  2:00 PM SCR is the second coming of Flojo
                  2:10 PM SAFP is going to make SCR look Slojo
                  2:15 PM SCR goes up in smoke
                  2:17 PM SJ is possibly the next Marita Kogo
                  2:20 PM ETH makes SAFP look more like IdunnoJoe
                  2:22 PM DAS goes from Queen to wildcard

                  And during some nanosecond in those 12 minutes, both Naser and Mboma sucked the adrenaline out of the 400 and moved SMU from being some kind of minor medalist in the 200
                  to a Super Position only God knows about.

                  Last edited by 1.609; 07-14-2021, 10:25 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
                    Too bad, it seems to me if you have the presence of mind and coordination to pull that off mid-flight that ought to count.
                    Absolutely!!
                    Ya can't grab it and put it back, but if you just happen to steady it as you're going over, that's a MAKE!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Atticus View Post

                      Absolutely!!
                      Ya can't grab it and put it back, but if you just happen to steady it as you're going over, that's a MAKE!
                      Do I remember correctly that once Volz really did manage to put it back on? (Maybe it was someone else who learned from the master.)

                      I've tried to find examples of Volzing on YouTube but so far no success.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

                        Saw that too. I take it that's not allowed?

                        Too bad, it seems to me if you have the presence of mind and coordination to pull that off mid-flight that ought to count.
                        Indeed, an amazing acrobatic feat, but explicitly against the rules:

                        28.2 An athlete fails if:

                        28.2.4 during the vault, they steady or replace the bar with their hand(s).

                        The following should be noted in applying and interpreting Rule 28.2 of the Technical Rules:

                        d. Judges must take particular care to detect whether any action prohibited under Rule 28.2.4 of the Technical Rules has occurred. Not only does it mean that the relevant Judge must keep an eye on the vaulter throughout the vault, but they must determine that such action was not merely incidental touching as the athlete cleared the bar. In general for Rule 28.2.4 of the Technical Rules to be applied there should be some direct action on behalf of the athlete to steady or replace the bar.
                        Similarly, climbing the pole during the vault is explicitly against the rules. Never seen it, but I've heard that back before the fiberglass pole came along, some Chinese circus acrobats were able to balance on—and then climb—the pole, à la an inverted pendulum.

                        Comment


                        • I remember when Voltzing was the hot topic. Joe Dial could and did do it before it was outlawed. I have known Joe since he was in high school and was one of the certifying officials on his (non-Voltzed) indoor WR.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by cigar95 View Post

                            Do I remember correctly that once Volz really did manage to put it back on? (Maybe it was someone else who learned from the master.)

                            I've tried to find examples of Volzing on YouTube but so far no success.
                            Didn't he, more or less, flick the bar back on to the uprights?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post

                              SAFP has certainly made it clear she wants to double, so the intention is there. Same for Thompson and the others. But I do think the outcome of the 100m placings may influence decisions, as well as exertions, fatigue and how the body reacts after what appears to be a competitive 100m. With SAFP's age (yes she is in her best form, but she hasn't had to face 3 rds on the 100 and 3 rds of the 200m since Moscow 2013) and Thompson & DAS having to manage injuries (achilles/ hamstring..) I envisage one of the top women will get some sort of niggle and DNS the 200m.

                              It's more of a gut feeling rather than anything, and obviously I hope this doesn't happen.
                              SAFP will double regardless. I think she is in the best form in her life and she certainly has based on past experience ran her fastest races in championships settings. I dont know what to make of ETH's 200m here. I was not impress but she did run 22.00 flat at trials. Could we in turn expect a 21.8 at the Olympics.
                              Apparently Ignorance is bliss

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X