Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late Scratchers Bad for Our Sport

Gabby Thomas, Ajee Wilson, and Elle Purrier St Pierre all scratched from the Herculis meet at the last minute!
    While I'm sure this historic meet will survive without them, there will be a lot of disappointed fans!

Yes, there are legitimate reasons for scratching late.
    A niggle (or worse), food poisoning, some other ailment coming on suddenly a day or two before the meet!

But THREE HUGE stars all scratching from maybe the best European DL at the last minute?
    And not going on social media (or any media!) to give their reason?

Let's Run went into their usual coniption fit about Thomas---drug bust, injury, scared she'll lose and her reputation will suffer, etc etc!

This happens all the time, as far back as I can remember!
    Including most of the biggest names in T&F!

How can this be prevented?
    Fines?
    Banning the scratcher from the next 2 DL's or other meets?
    Bad mouthing them in public?

I don't know.
    But this is bad for our sport--which, as we all know--isn't exactly the most popular outside the serious fans!
    The Monaco scratchers are just the latest examples!

While it is frustrating for fans, ours is far from the only sport in which athletes sit out competitions for any number of reasons. It would be far more disappointing if one of these ladies decided to risk it by competing when it wise unwise to do so, and ended up missing the bigger competitions.

Comment

As big of a meet as Monaco is, its irrelevant with Tokyo just 3 weeks away.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
        While I'm sure this historic meet will survive without them, there will be a lot of disappointed fans!
        THREE HUGE stars all scratching from maybe the best European DL at the last minute?
        Talk about hyperbole. I suspect the number of fans who bought tickets to the meet because of Elle Purrier could be counted on the fingers of half a hand.
        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

This thread wsn't about any 1 athlete (or 3 of them!), but since you brought up the dairy farmer, she's the US champion, she won by 2.64 seconds (pacing herself!), and has a lot faster potential!
          Not to mention a very interesting back story!
          But does anyone buy a Monaco ticket for 1 or 2 or even 3 athletes?
          In Bolt's case, yes, they did!
          And did anyone pay good money to see Thomas vs SAFP & SMU?
          Sure!

The problem remains--big names scratching suddenly takes SOMEthing away from the meet's quality!

Comment

Bolt was the only one in recent times who could draw crowds....no one remotely like that now. I wouldn't call any of those huge stars.

It's like going to the symphony and finding out the principal clarinetist isn't playing that night.

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post

Talk about hyperbole. I suspect the number of fans who bought tickets to the meet because of Elle Purrier could be counted on the fingers of half a hand.
              Exactly...

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                I wouldn't call any of those huge stars.
                Exactly my point.
                Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post

This^^^^^^^ !!!

Comment

Not to sound condescending here, but these are professional athletes, not show ponies. They have to make their decisions based on what is best for each of them, as individuals. The US major sports feature Disabled Lists for athletes who need to step back for a bit. The NBA playoffs featured a number of superstars (making money far beyond what our athletes earn) who sat out of games to prevent further damage to themselves.

Why would we want to encourage professionals for making decisions in the best interest of their health/safety and longevity, simply to amuse others?

Comment

I think anyone who follows the sport would have bought tickets knowing full well that withdrawals will happen, esp so close to Tokyo.

Comment

The problem remains--big names scratching suddenly takes SOMEthing away from the meet's quality!
                        They're not big names.

Comment

Gabby Thomas, Ajee Wilson, and Elle Purrier St Pierre all scratched from the Herculis meet at the last minute!

Yes, there are legitimate reasons for scratching late.
                          A niggle (or worse), food poisoning, some other ailment coming on suddenly a day or two before the meet!

But THREE HUGE stars all scratching from maybe the best European DL at the last minute?
                          And not going on social media (or any media!) to give their reason?

Let's Run went into their usual coniption fit about Thomas---drug bust, injury, scared she'll lose and her reputation will suffer, etc etc!

This happens all the time, as far back as I can remember!
                          Including most of the biggest names in T&F!

How can this be prevented?
                          Fines?
                          Banning the scratcher from the next 2 DL's or other meets?
                          Bad mouthing them in public?

I don't know.
                          But this is bad for our sport--which, as we all know--isn't exactly the most popular outside the serious fans!
                          The Monaco scratchers are just the latest examples!
                          Thomas may have been the only athlete....and more out of the curiosity of she going up against SAFP and SMU than anything else.

You overstate the situation completely and your solutions are even worse.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

You overstate the situation completely and your solutions are even worse.
                            Have you met aaronk?

Comment

I've met aaronk ('78 NCAA if memory serves), not that it has anything to do with anyone contributing to the forum.

While his OP typically used up a monthly supply of exclamation marks and he indeed overstated the Monaco "problem," his subject line is spot-on.

If you've ever worked on the promotion of a big-time invitational meet then you surely know that no-shows are the bane of a meet promoter's existence. This has been a problem for decades and decades, unfortunately, but no, I know of no way out of it.

But to suggest it's not a problem is major-league head-in-sand.

Comment

Working...
                              X