Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unless they are paying the athletes what obligation is there? The good of the sport? Good luck...

And the Trials were 2 weeks ago and the Olympics in 2...so not surprising some drop out.

Comment

As anyone who has ever played (tried to play...) T&F Fantasy League, this is one of the main problems of the circuit.

You can have two or three World Athletics news articles about a star athlete in the lead-up to the meet, picturing them holding a clinic with local kids (for example) which shows they are in the location of the meet, and then suddenly they have disappeared off the start list.

And in 99% of cases, their news article wrapping up the meet with not say 'xxxx who withdrew because of hamstring soreness'.

Even the governing body's media staff will not help inform the shrinking population of fans.

At least a sport like tennis is professional enough to detail the reason for a player's withdrawal from a tournament on the drawsheet as a matter of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post
        As anyone who has ever played (tried to play...) T&F Fantasy League, this is one of the main problems of the circuit.

You can have two or three World Athletics news articles about a star athlete in the lead-up to the meet, picturing them holding a clinic with local kids (for example) which shows they are in the location of the meet, and then suddenly they have disappeared off the start list.

And in 99% of cases, their news article wrapping up the meet with not say 'xxxx who withdrew because of hamstring soreness'.

Even the governing body's media staff will not help inform the shrinking population of fans.

At least a sport like tennis is professional enough to detail the reason for a player's withdrawal from a tournament on the drawsheet as a matter of course.
        Almost every fantasy sport has changes in lineups all the time and many are last minute. Football teams don't put in their final injured lists until a few hours before the game starts.

Thomas withdrew a day or two ago. Not sure of Wilson but I don't remember seeing Purrier's name on the start lists.

Comment

Originally posted by booond View Post

Almost every fantasy sport has changes in lineups all the time and many are last minute. Football teams don't put in their final injured lists until a few hours before the game starts.

Thomas withdrew a day or two ago. Not sure of Wilson but I don't remember seeing Purrier's name on the start lists.
          The football (not US) fantasy leagues I have played allow substitutes which the IAAF ones never did. Half the time, half of my roster disappeared from the (say) Oslo meet after lockout.

Thomas (and perhaps Wilson) are the only athletes mentioned by the OP that a casual fan might have heard of. The Javelin World Champion, Kelsey Barber was another DNS however despite featuring in pre-meet publicity.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
            I've met aaronk ('78 NCAA if memory serves), not that it has anything to do with anyone contributing to the forum.

While his OP typically used up a monthly supply of exclamation marks and he indeed overstated the Monaco "problem," his subject line is spot-on.

If you've ever worked on the promotion of a big-time invitational meet then you surely know that no-shows are the bane of a meet promoter's existence. This has been a problem for decades and decades, unfortunately, but no, I know of no way out of it.

But to suggest it's not a problem is major-league head-in-sand.
            Fair enough. And I hope none of my remarks were construed as leaning against him, personally.

Comment

The football (not US) fantasy leagues I have played allow substitutes which the IAAF ones never did. Half the time, half of my roster disappeared from the (say) Oslo meet after lockout.
              Your beef is with the IAAF and their shitty game - I've played it (glutton for punishment my only excuse).

If I'm an athlete going to the OG I'm wrapped in bubblewrap and breathing only virgin oxygen until I get on the plane.

Comment

I'm breathing only virgin oxygen until I get on the plane.
                Where you won't be breathing virgin oxygen again for quite a while..

Comment

If it isn't a sudden injury or food poisoning or some crisis back home, a Professional athlete should know if they're going to compete in XYZ meet long before 48 hours or so before the meet starts.
                  USA Olympians knew their plans (or their coach should have!) as soon as they made the team.
                  Would they train through to Tokyo?
                  Would they compete once or twice close to home, and stay in training?
                  Or would they go to Europe for a week, hit 2 or 3 meets, then go home or to St Moritz to train?

It's not right for an athlete to enter a meet, then not show---especially one as big as Monaco!
                  As gh said, it's a meet promoter's nightmare!

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                    a Professional athlete should know if they're going to compete in XYZ meet long before 48 hours or so before the meet starts.
                    USA Olympians knew their plans (or their coach should have!) as soon as they made the team.
                    Would they train through to Tokyo?
                    Would they compete once or twice close to home, and stay in training?
                    Or would they go to Europe for a week, hit 2 or 3 meets, then go home or to St Moritz to train?
                    You don't know when the meet directors were told.

Comment

Where you won't be breathing virgin oxygen again for quite a while..
                      While the plane is a big risk, Tokyo sounds like COVID central right now.

Comment

THREE HUGE stars all scratching from maybe the best European DL at the last minute?
                        So what you're saying is that 95% of the stars showed up and competed? That sounds pretty good.

Comment

You don't know when the meet directors were told.
                          No, I don't, but in Thomas's case, her name was still on the entry list the day before (last evening).
                          I napped for awhile, and when I checked again around 2 or 3 a.m. today, her name was gone, and there were tweets mentioning she was off the 200 entry list!
                          So either her withdrawal was either last minute, or the meet director didn't get around to removing her name until much later!
                          (Let's Run's preview of Monaco had her in the 200, and that appeared late yesterday!!)

Comment

And BTW, while I used those 3 as examples, this thread is more about the problem, not some diatribe against specific athletes!

They're not big stars??
                            Ajee is the American Record holder (But not for long! LOL), and she's quite well known on the circuit!
                            Thomas became an overnight sensation by moving to 2nd A-T behind Flojo!!
                            And Purrier etc etc is the new US Champion and Trials Meet Record holder.
                            Her race indicated she could go much faster in a rabbited DL race!
                            Major star?
                            Maybe not, but definitely a known quantity (and her dairy farmer story gets a lot of play on NBC!).

Comment

No, I don't, but in Thomas's case, her name was still on the entry list the day before (last evening).
                              I napped for awhile, and when I checked again around 2 or 3 a.m. today, her name was gone, and there were tweets mentioning she was off the 200 entry list!
                              You posted at 1am pst on the 8th that she was off the entry list and she was not on the preview. So, we know they knew and you knew as far back as that and likely they knew before since we know Thomas didn't run a few days earlier.

Is it possible that the WA/IAAF were purposely lax in updating entry lists to keep interest alive?

Comment

With all the problems in the track world, I think calling out athletes and demanding explanations for their absence is one task we can safely forgo.

Comment

Working...
                                X