Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Powell View Post
    Talk about hyperbole. I suspect the number of fans who bought tickets to the meet because of Elle Purrier could be counted on the fingers of half a hand.
    Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Exactly...
    Is not that level of exactness an example of hyperbole?

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
      And BTW, while I used those 3 as examples, this thread is more about the problem, not some diatribe against specific athletes!

They're not big stars??
      Ajee is the American Record holder (But not for long! LOL), and she's quite well known on the circuit!
      Thomas became an overnight sensation by moving to 2nd A-T behind Flojo!!
      And Purrier etc etc is the new US Champion and Trials Meet Record holder.
      Her race indicated she could go much faster in a rabbited DL race!
      Major star?
      Maybe not, but definitely a known quantity (and her dairy farmer story gets a lot of play on NBC!).
      This meet happened in the south of France not Los Angeles or South Florida. In terms of name and recognition, Purrier is an afterthought compared to Hassan, Ajee Wilson isnt standing up to Muir and Thomas isnt in the same room as SAFP and SMU.
      Last edited by ATK; 07-10-2021, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
        I've met aaronk ('78 NCAA if memory serves), not that it has anything to do with anyone contributing to the forum.... his subject line is spot-on. If you've ever worked on the promotion of a big-time invitational meet then you surely know that no-shows are the bane of a meet promoter's existence. This has been a problem for decades and decades, unfortunately, but no, I know of no way out of it. But to suggest it's not a problem is major-league head-in-sand.
        Money. There's so little money in the sport. Not fines, but more money for showing and big money for performances.

Comment

Originally posted by NormZylstra View Post
          Money. There's so little money in the sport. Not fines, but more money for showing and big money for performances.
          Sounds good, but where is the money coming from?

Comment

I guess that empty lanes in particular are also frustrating for the athletes who just missed getting an invite to these meets.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
              Sounds good, but where is the money coming from?
              For sure. Not a realistic solution.

Comment

A GOOD example of a scratch from a meet---
                Dina Asher-Smith tweeted that she has a niggle, and as a precaution, she scratched from the Gateshead2 meet!!
                She apologized to her British fans, and said how much she loved to run before her home nation fans!

Thomas--as far as I know--never told us why she dropped from Monaco!

Comment

Theres also the fact that Gabby Thomas isn't from France or Monaco though.

Comment

A GOOD example of a scratch from a meet---

Thomas--as far as I know--never told us why she dropped from Monaco!
                    And why does she need to?

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

And why does she need to?
                      She'd just run 21.61, fastest ever except for Flojo!!
                      I would gues there were more than a few looking forward to seeing her race against SAFP, SMU, etc outside the US!
                      So maybe for no other reason than good public relations??

Comment

She'd just run 21.61, fastest ever except for Flojo!!
                        I would gues there were more than a few looking forward to seeing her race against SAFP, SMU, etc outside the US!
                        So maybe for no other reason than good public relations??
                        She has much bigger fish to fry. The Oly Title is at risk. Just train.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          She has much bigger fish to fry. The Oly Title is at risk. Just train.
                          I agree!
                          But that begs the question as to why she entered Monaco to begin with (or let her agent do so).
                          If she intended to just train, she should never have put her name forward!!
                          She WAS entered, so at SOME point, she intended to race there!

Comment

I agree!
                            But that begs the question as to why she entered Monaco to begin with (or let her agent do so).
                            There's two kinds of business involved here... ours, and none of ours. This falls under the latter. In the middle of the biggest global pandemic in more than 100 years, I ain't questioning nothin' any athlete chooses to do or not do.

Comment

I agree!
                              Did she submit her entry before or after the Olympic Trials? If she entered Monaco before the Trials, she did so wiith no idea whatsoever that she would go 21.61 or come even close! Her PR before the pandemic was 22.19.

With the exception of Flo, she is now in territory that only Jones, Schippers, Ottey (twice), Thompson-Herah and Felix have been. That performance instantly prompted a whole new set of priorities for her, especially if she wants to keep it and repeat such a rarity!

On top of that, that performance if hers gives her the better hand, especially after going PRs 21.98 in the heats and 21.94 in the semis. Why show her cards now, before she reaches the final table, especially if she is holding a full house or even 4 queens?

Which is to say that, had she won the Trials in typical fashion (i.e., another low-22.xx), she might have gone to Monaco. But this is so atypical (unlike Felix, who had broken 22.00 three times in the years before her 21.69), that her post-Trials training and strategy had to change.
                              Last edited by CookyMonzta; 07-12-2021, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Scratches may explain why our sport isn't taken more seriously. If athletes aren't doing the minimum to help promote the sport then why should sponsors care to support them more than they do. In the end, Stars (present and future) drive fan interest and fan interest attracts sponsors who willing pay the freight advertising their products. If Stars don't show then fans lose interest and sponsors will look elsewhere. Having an Olympic games every 4 years for 2-3 weeks isn't enough to grow our sport in a positive way.

Comment

Working...
                                X