Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other message boards filled with rumors when star athletes are late scratches about drug issues or avoidance of testing. This is a relevant issue when so many think so negatively about top athletes missing a meet. Just stains the sport. For legitimate scratches of those with late sickness or injury there should be a penalty system for those who do this in the DL or CT of a 15 day ban from these competitions (during times when such meets are contested of course). A 2nd offense should be 30 days then 3rd a ban of 60 days. Allow athletes/agents to remove the athlete with no penalty say 4 days prior. Give athletes 1 free pass a year. Late scratches hurts the meets from better filling the events as they have to rely on nearby alternates who are usually not as marketable. Late scratches can prevent some quality athletes from entering a meet they may have wanted in but been denied and with the new world ranking system that impacts qualifying for Olympics and Worlds this is very damaging as we have seen this year.

Comment

Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post
      , that her post-Trials training and strategy had to change.
      Hmm, not sure I get that. Running a fast time at the nationals, as I'm sure they were hoping, is not going to make them change their training programme so close to Tokyo. This would have been mapped out months and months ago. Her race obligations, maybe, but not her training.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
        In the middle of the biggest global pandemic in more than 100 years, I ain't questioning nothin' any athlete chooses to do or not do.
        Whilst one has to acknowledge the pandemic and it's affect on travel & preparation, equally we should remain open minded and sometimes skeptical. Many international top stars are traveling and competing, and many of those are based in the US and Caribbean. But a large number of US stars are not.

I really like Gabby Thomas, she comes across really well in interviews and on social media. But already some on Twitter have pointed out her provisional ban last year due to whereabouts issues, (which of course on appeal was lifted) and suggesting a link between that and her amazing form this year. No, she doesn't owe them anything, but equally you can't blame fans for wanting to see her run internationally and if she doesn't, especially when she has been entered for two meets and then withdrawn from both, then expect some grumblings.

I remember before their 400m ban, a few comments on here from posters on Masilingi & Mboma's runs, and saying lets wait and see what they can do internationally and in Europe against international competition, let them prove their times.

Any athlete from any nation that is not competing internationally will always be faced with some skepticism.

Last edited by Wiederganger; 07-12-2021, 07:26 AM.

Comment

...or you can fulfill some DL obligations and vanish in the semis at the OGs. Wasn't there a time when governing bodies around the world were banning athletes from competing for $$ in European meets prior to the OGs? (That's rhetorical, we all remember that). Unless you've spoken with the athlete, the coach, or the agent, it's all just baseless conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
            Hmm, not sure I get that. Running a fast time at the nationals, as I'm sure they were hoping, is not going to make them change their training programme so close to Tokyo. This would have been mapped out months and months ago. Her race obligations, maybe, but not her training.
            While in general I agree that training plans are set far in advance, but alterations based on how the athlete is feeling are always made. Rai Benjamin canceled his European races after talking with his coaches so they could alter his training to better prepare for Tokyo.

Comment

Note Renee Ann Shirley's tweets today. She retweeted a Reuters article on DAS's withdrawal from Gateshead with the words "hummmmm ....this caught my eye.." . When questioned whether she would go and test her if she were in charge, she tweeted "yes" and then went on to tweet "Aths peaking/SPs/PBs, aths withdrawing from events, aths heading to remote camps just b4 mjr event, etc...all flags for pre-games target testing"

I'm not pointing the finger at DAS or Thomas, but I don't disagree with Renee's general sentiment.

Comment

I don't like or dislike any particular athletes because I don't have to deal with any of them in real life, and even if I did, I don't give a flying for the majority of humans anyway.

So really, I don't care how often or at which particular meets any individual athlete competes. However, what really, really, REALLY shits me is the unprofessional nature of so many athletes and their braindead coaches and managers.

How hard is it to just say "sick", "injured", "need to change my training for Tokyo because Karsten just ran a WR", "need more rest before Tokyo", etc.

My local rag is full of stories about injured footballers, their sadness at being injured, their rehab process, what their wife/girlfiend feels, how the coach feels about the effect on the team, when they think they will be back, and on, and on, and on, and on.

Athletes? Disappear with no explanation for a meet, multiple meets, a season, multiple season, with no information whatsoever, then make a comeback and complain that nobody knows who the fuck they are, or cares about them, or writes anything about them.

Dumb stupid useless motherfuckers who dig their own grave - a grave I'd happily push them into and pick up a shovel to fill becaue they are a cancer on our sport.

[/rant]

Comment

Originally posted by El Toro View Post
                  I don't like or dislike any particular athletes because I don't have to deal with any of them in real life, and even if I did, I don't give a flying for the majority of humans anyway.

So really, I don't care how often or at which particular meets any individual athlete competes. However, what really, really, REALLY shits me is the unprofessional nature of so many athletes and their braindead coaches and managers.

How hard is it to just say "sick", "injured", "need to change my training for Tokyo because Karsten just ran a WR", "need more rest before Tokyo", etc.

My local rag is full of stories about injured footballers, their sadness at being injured, their rehab process, what their wife/girlfiend feels, how the coach feels about the effect on the team, when they think they will be back, and on, and on, and on, and on.

Athletes? Disappear with no explanation for a meet, multiple meets, a season, multiple season, with no information whatsoever, then make a comeback and complain that nobody knows who the fuck they are, or cares about them, or writes anything about them.

Dumb stupid useless motherfuckers who dig their own grave - a grave I'd happily push them into and pick up a shovel to fill becaue they are a cancer on our sport.

[/rant]
                  I never thought of it as that much of a problem, and I never felt entitled to any information they don't feel like sharing. Cancer on the sport? I can think of many worse things for the sport than athletes not talking about injury, changes to training plans, etc. To be fair, Rai Benjamin did say that he was adjusting his buildup to the Games. NBA players sit out without much notice. football coaches and athletes are definitely mum about injuries, specific rehab, who will be in the starting lineup, etc. I think that this is just a natural part of professional sports.

Comment

I get that a no-show is disappointing to a fan at home, or a ticket-buyer, or a meet-director - and that it may raise eyebrows as to drug-related issues - and that it's 'bad for the sport' and so on . . . on . . .

But - we need to remember that each and every instance is a real individual, with a real life, and real concerns for the most important event in their lives thiis year, the Olympics. If they don't show up for that, years of training are wasted. THEY know what's best for them - we certainly do NOT.

In our own lives we know that things don't always go as planned and we have to change our plans all the time. Let's let them do that too without dragging them through the muck to satisfy our curiosity.

I just want them to show up for their OG event in the best condition they can. I will trust them to arrange for that.

Comment

Originally posted by steve View Post
                      I think that this is just a natural part of professional sports.
                      Really? In Australian Rules football, there is an injury report early in the week saying 'Smith - hamstring (2 weeks), Brown - knee (test), Jones - influenza' which is updated a day before the first game of the week. All the fans have a clue what is going on.

In tennis, all withdrawals from tournaments give a reason - even if it's just 'change of schedule'.rather than an injury/illness matter.

But in track & field, we are all left to wonder. Even if you follow an athlete on social media, they are more inclined to post a picture of their breakfast or their pet dog rather than give curious fans any useful information about their sport.

Last edited by Vault-emort; 07-12-2021, 02:15 PM.

Comment

They are also humans who are in the public light all the time. It's almost damned if you do damned if you don't.

Pull out of a meet for some reason, public questions why you pulled out
                        Run a meet and you don't do well, public questions what's going on
                        Run a meet and you do well, but next race you don't, public questions why your running so much
                        Run multiple meets and do well, public questions if your being tested enough/on something etc.

Someone will find a way to criticize or question any decision an athlete makes.
                        Last edited by ATK; 07-12-2021, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Look, Track athletes are not unique in terms of up and down performances. Pro athletes in countless sports around the globe perform on a daily or weekly basis and get interviewed all the time about their training, injuries, setbacks or results. People want to know what they are like and are willing to live and die with the triumphs or failures of their favourite athletes. Why do we make excuses or exceptions for our Track Stars when it's the way of life with other Pro sports?

Criticism or scrutiny is part of the deal if you want to be taken seriously and want the fame, fortune and adulation.

Comment

Originally posted by sprintdoc View Post
                            Other message boards filled with rumors when star athletes are late scratches about drug issues or avoidance of testing. This is a relevant issue when so many think so negatively about top athletes missing a meet. Just stains the sport. For legitimate scratches of those with late sickness or injury there should be a penalty system for those who do this in the DL or CT of a 15 day ban from these competitions (during times when such meets are contested of course). A 2nd offense should be 30 days then 3rd a ban of 60 days. Allow athletes/agents to remove the athlete with no penalty say 4 days prior. Give athletes 1 free pass a year. Late scratches hurts the meets from better filling the events as they have to rely on nearby alternates who are usually not as marketable. Late scratches can prevent some quality athletes from entering a meet they may have wanted in but been denied and with the new world ranking system that impacts qualifying for Olympics and Worlds this is very damaging as we have seen this year.
                            ....and then no elite athletes will pre enter meets. Brilliant suggestion

Comment

Originally posted by lexvid View Post
                              Why do we make excuses or exceptions for our Track Stars when it's the way of life with other Pro sports?
                              You can blame me and the other enabling fans who don't need to be all up in their business. I am a very nosy person, but I don't feel they have some obligation to keep me informed on their comings and goings.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post

I really like Gabby Thomas,
                                ......and as you consistently do, you "like" an athlete and then list a bunch of "buts" about them. SOP.

Comment

Working...
                                X