Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
    What's HER excuse?
    Just my opinion but these athletes don't owe you a damn thing. And if I was an injured athlete I'd try to keep that info quiet - the less the competition knows about it the better.

Comment

Covid restrictions would be a valid excuse, but Covid's been around for close to 18 months?
      Isn't it late in the game to suddenly say it's Covid's fault she's a scratch??
      COVID cases are rising again, it's in all the papers.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
        The only push back I will give is that its 2021 not 1991.

Track was far more popular 30 years ago.
        The comment was in reference to this:
        "Passion comes from getting to know your favourite athlete. That's why NBC does those sappy mini docudramas before an event so they can draw the public in and let them feel like they "know" or can relate to the athlete thus stirring up empathy..."

The things you can do to quickly interact with your favorite athlete and get to know them better today were impossible 30 years ago. I don't need to turn on the TV, open a magazine (sorry T&FN!), or travel to a meet. I can go directly to the athlete's page/content, see their life, message them directly, interact with them etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post

The comment was in reference to this:
          "Passion comes from getting to know your favourite athlete. That's why NBC does those sappy mini docudramas before an event so they can draw the public in and let them feel like they "know" or can relate to the athlete thus stirring up empathy..."

The things you can do to quickly interact with your favorite athlete and get to know them better today were impossible 30 years ago. I don't need to turn on the TV, open a magazine (sorry T&FN!), or travel to a meet. I can go directly to the athlete's page/content, see their life, message them directly, interact with them etc.
          I would argue that the insistence of "Murican TV to spend so much time "humanizing" the athletes (mini-docs, post-race interviews with exhausted competitors, looking for the story behind the story) has done less to promote the sport than to lessen its public appeal. Would NFL fans want to have so much of the time slotted for a game to be taken up with human interest stories about the players?

Rant complete. Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread...........

Comment

Originally posted by KevinR View Post

The greatest tragedy of those was that they were instituted by governments, without any true expectation of instigating actual change.
            Well, there was that Berlin Wall thing and the break up of the USSR a few years later. Not a fan of boycotts, but let's not put our head in the sand either. World governments are playing at the big-boy table with some big chips.

Comment

And here we go again!
              The biggest name I saw missing is Sifan Hassan from the Mile!
              What's HER excuse?
              Covid restrictions would be a valid excuse, but Covid's been around for close to 18 months?
              Isn't it late in the game to suddenly say it's Covid's fault she's a scratch??
              And who are the other 49?

ADD: I think Katie Nageotte was entered also, and now she's gone!
              Maybe there are some specific requirements for the athletes to undertake because of Covid that they don't particularly feel like undergoing. If that is the case and this has resulted in a mass withdrawal, it might make one think that they have a collective point.

Wouldn't it?

?!?!!!!/!

Comment

Originally posted by Steele View Post

Well, there was that Berlin Wall thing and the break up of the USSR a few years later. Not a fan of boycotts, but let's not put our head in the sand either. World governments are playing at the big-boy table with some big chips.
                True, but the boycotts were the lower chips. The US boycott of Moscow failed to drive the Soviets out of Afghanistan (ironically, if it had been successful, that regime would have held on for longer). The 1976 African boycott was marginally more successful in bringing Apartheid into greater awareness in the US, but did not have much lasting impact with that regard.

The context of my earlier post was how being forced out of those competitions was penalizing individual athletes, by events they had no control of. That is quite different from the issue of late scratches.

Comment

Working...
                X