X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KevinR
    replied
    Originally posted by Steele View Post

Well, there was that Berlin Wall thing and the break up of the USSR a few years later. Not a fan of boycotts, but let's not put our head in the sand either. World governments are playing at the big-boy table with some big chips.
    True, but the boycotts were the lower chips. The US boycott of Moscow failed to drive the Soviets out of Afghanistan (ironically, if it had been successful, that regime would have held on for longer). The 1976 African boycott was marginally more successful in bringing Apartheid into greater awareness in the US, but did not have much lasting impact with that regard.

The context of my earlier post was how being forced out of those competitions was penalizing individual athletes, by events they had no control of. That is quite different from the issue of late scratches.

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    Originally posted by aaronk View Post

And here we go again!
    The biggest name I saw missing is Sifan Hassan from the Mile!
    What's HER excuse?
    Covid restrictions would be a valid excuse, but Covid's been around for close to 18 months?
    Isn't it late in the game to suddenly say it's Covid's fault she's a scratch??
    And who are the other 49?

ADD: I think Katie Nageotte was entered also, and now she's gone!
    Maybe there are some specific requirements for the athletes to undertake because of Covid that they don't particularly feel like undergoing. If that is the case and this has resulted in a mass withdrawal, it might make one think that they have a collective point.

Wouldn't it?

?!?!!!!/!

Leave a comment:

• Steele
    replied
    Originally posted by KevinR View Post

The greatest tragedy of those was that they were instituted by governments, without any true expectation of instigating actual change.
    Well, there was that Berlin Wall thing and the break up of the USSR a few years later. Not a fan of boycotts, but let's not put our head in the sand either. World governments are playing at the big-boy table with some big chips.

Leave a comment:

• KevinR
    replied
    Originally posted by ATK View Post

The comment was in reference to this:
    "Passion comes from getting to know your favourite athlete. That's why NBC does those sappy mini docudramas before an event so they can draw the public in and let them feel like they "know" or can relate to the athlete thus stirring up empathy..."

The things you can do to quickly interact with your favorite athlete and get to know them better today were impossible 30 years ago. I don't need to turn on the TV, open a magazine (sorry T&FN!), or travel to a meet. I can go directly to the athlete's page/content, see their life, message them directly, interact with them etc.
    I would argue that the insistence of "Murican TV to spend so much time "humanizing" the athletes (mini-docs, post-race interviews with exhausted competitors, looking for the story behind the story) has done less to promote the sport than to lessen its public appeal. Would NFL fans want to have so much of the time slotted for a game to be taken up with human interest stories about the players?

Rant complete. Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread...........

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    The only push back I will give is that its 2021 not 1991.

Track was far more popular 30 years ago.
    The comment was in reference to this:
    "Passion comes from getting to know your favourite athlete. That's why NBC does those sappy mini docudramas before an event so they can draw the public in and let them feel like they "know" or can relate to the athlete thus stirring up empathy..."

The things you can do to quickly interact with your favorite athlete and get to know them better today were impossible 30 years ago. I don't need to turn on the TV, open a magazine (sorry T&FN!), or travel to a meet. I can go directly to the athlete's page/content, see their life, message them directly, interact with them etc.

Leave a comment:

• booond
    replied

Covid restrictions would be a valid excuse, but Covid's been around for close to 18 months?
    COVID cases are rising again, it's in all the papers.

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    What's HER excuse?
    Just my opinion but these athletes don't owe you a damn thing. And if I was an injured athlete I'd try to keep that info quiet - the less the competition knows about it the better.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    The only push back I will give is that its 2021 not 1991.

Track was far more popular 30 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• KevinR
    replied
    Originally posted by lexvid View Post

That may be true, but I recall being disappointed by the Olympic boycotts in '80 (North America) & '84 (Communist Block). Impacted some events very little and some events a lot. Robbed interested spectators of great match ups and, if I recall, did very little to resolve the reasons behind the boycotts in the first place. Not to mention careers that would have been shaped and defined at those Games.
    I agree, completely wrt boycotts. The greatest tragedy of those was that they were instituted by governments, without any true expectation of instigating actual change. A number of athletes lost what was surely their best shot at success on the greatest stage for their sports.

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied
    Originally posted by ubiQuitous1 View Post

I'm hearing that the COVID regulations for the meet are to blame. Not worth the hassle and upwards of 50 athletes have withdrawn.
    And here we go again!
    The biggest name I saw missing is Sifan Hassan from the Mile!
    What's HER excuse?
    And who are the other 49?

ADD: I think Katie Nageotte was entered also, and now she's gone!
    Last edited by aaronk; 07-13-2021, 09:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• El Toro
    replied
    One more comment on this general issue of trying to find out what's going on.

I will say that WA could also up it's game because it doesn't seem to have a subscribable "watch list" for individual athletes on their website but I'm not sure about their Diamnond League app as I haven't used it. I don't think anybody else builds a watchlist for athletes either, except in some limited circumstances. Happy to be informed if it exists.

Implementing something like this would provide an easy "when/where do they compete next" list and solve the changing status issue - a withdrawal from a competition has a reason or link to a tweet/instapost/etc. This is beneficial to both parties - it drives traffic to WA for the convenience and it will drive traffic to athlete's social media, which in turn link back to WA.

I don't think the current WA approach of newspaper type preview/outcome articles makes full use of modern IT/social media capacities because the social media work is limited to WA itself rather than the complete modern media ecosystem.

Maybe this is planned for some time in the future.

Leave a comment:

• El Toro
    replied

It's not about being nosy, it's about informing or edutaining the public about our sport.
    [SNIP]

Otherwise it's no better than horse racing so just pick your favourite number or race colour and glance at a stat on a sheet to place your bets....
    Yep, it is not about being nosy about their personal life. That's entirely up to them. What I want is relevant information about their ACTUAL JOB, which is to turn up and compete and also represent the sport.

Of course, injuries happen, travel falls through, plans need changing. Nobody is complaining about that but the lack of information about those things.

Even if the reason is something intensely personal the athlete doesn't want to disclose, there's this historically effective communication strategy known as "lying", employed by many people on a regular basis. It works fine when used judiciously but just disappearing and staying silent doesn't.

Leave a comment:

• lexvid
    replied
    Originally posted by ATK View Post
    The only push back I will give is that its 2021 not 1991."[/I]
    Fair enough. I would say a great marketer understands they must create awareness of an event or athlete to generate interest. Once this is done then fans who want to know more will seek out more social media such as facebook, instagram or twitter if they want to follow or know more about their favourite athlete.

Won't happen if they don't know who they are.

Leave a comment:

• booond
    replied

Too bad. COVID-19 continues to rear it's ugly head. It's not done with us yet in 2021.
    2022, 2023, 2024...

Leave a comment:

• lexvid
    replied
    Originally posted by ubiQuitous1 View Post

I'm hearing that the COVID regulations for the meet are to blame. Not worth the hassle and upwards of 50 athletes have withdrawn.
    Too bad. COVID-19 continues to rear it's ugly head. It's not done with us yet in 2021.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X