Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australia's 1500m mens medal chances for the Tokyo Olympics

How good are Australia’s medal chances in the mens 1500m at the 2021 Olympic Games? (theroar.com.au)

I did not mention in article, but I still think Hoare is Australia's best chance. Any views on that?
    Last edited by spartacus; 07-12-2021, 11:31 PM.

All three have the potential to do very well. McSweyn and Hoare have both tended to shoot to the front in their races this year and try to run the legs off their competitors, so if the Tokyo races are run in time-trial fashion then this will play into their hands. Edwards showed both at nationals and at Bislett that he is very good at building into races from a more modest pace, so may possibly have an advantage if the races are more tactical. There are a number of other factors too - McSweyn and Edwards have both raced a bit this season. Hoare has raced sparingly of late and may be fresher. Getting through the rounds is obviously important. Not sure what the lead times are for travelling to Tokyo prior to the event either but I imagine jet lag could be a minor factor too if the travelling/acclimatisation windows are smaller than usual.

Comment

There are some quality Oz m1500 runners, just as their re some excellent m800 and 1500 Brits. The problem is assessing them vs. the equally good rest-of-world aces.
      J Inge seems to take up a medal spot, there's 3 good Americans and then the Africans. Is Katir for real? Is he 1500 or 5000?

Comment

yes, will be hard to medal in such a tough event.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          There are some quality Oz m1500 runners, just as their re some excellent m800 and 1500 Brits. The problem is assessing them vs. the equally good rest-of-world aces.
          J Inge seems to take up a medal spot, there's 3 good Americans and then the Africans. Is Katir for real? Is he 1500 or 5000?
          Katir is only entered in the 5000.

Comment

Katir running only in the 5000m is a bonus for the Aussies and others. That is the two fastest in the world not running, unless there is a change of mind.

Comment

Has it been confirmed yet that Cheruiyot won't be in Tokyo?

Comment

I look each day for latest, but only this recently

Cheruiyot puts Olympic disappointment aside to clinch Diamond League win | Reuters

Comment

If Tim C runs it's a replay of Doha. Be ready to run 3:29 or you won't medal.

Comment

Yes, he appears that much better than the rest. It is shame he did not run better at the Kenyan trials.

Comment

Originally posted by spartacus View Post
                      Yes, he appears that much better than the rest. It is shame he did not run better at the Kenyan trials.
                      Unfortunately, not when it counted

Comment

Cheruiyot will be in Tokyo.

Comment

So, it is possible for Jakob INGEBRIGTSEN to double. Not the easiest double in history with 2 races on Aug 3rd. Both are Prelims though and in separate morning and evening sessions. But a lot of races in 5 days. With him getting sick before Olympics will he pull out of one of them?

Aug 3 9:00
                          Aug 5 20:00
                          Aug 7 20:40

Aug 3 20:00
                          Aug 6 21:00

Comment

The schedule is the worst of both worlds and he isn’t so far ahead that he can cruise through 1500m semis. Two 5ks in his legs before the 1500m final would leave him very vulnerable for no medal IMO. I think he drops down to one event

Comment

Originally posted by jjimbojames View Post
                              The schedule is the worst of both worlds and he isn’t so far ahead that he can cruise through 1500m semis. Two 5ks in his legs before the 1500m final would leave him very vulnerable for no medal IMO. I think he drops down to one event
                              Equally daunting. T Cher in the 1500 and Kiplimo in the 5000. I assume he picks the 1500.

Comment

Working...
                              X