Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gh View Post
    as much as the media likes to harp on how far the Olympics drove, for example, Montréal and Athens into debt, as I understand it, the IOC still draws great pleasure for what "urban renewal" does for Olympic cities.

As an example I have first-hand experience with, the Barcelona of '91 and the Barcelona of today is two different planets.
    One city and 29 years ago. Rio and Athens were disaster areas afterwards.

Also an amazing coincidence that the IOC President in 1992 was Spanish. Funny how those things work.
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 07-17-2021, 05:42 PM.

Comment

On one hand, spreading the Olympics around would make sense economically and logistically. But at the same time, wouldn't we lose that special Olympic atmosphere? It would essentially be just a bunch of World Championships happening at the same time.
      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
        On one hand, spreading the Olympics around would make sense economically and logistically. But at the same time, wouldn't we lose that special Olympic atmosphere? It would essentially be just a bunch of World Championships happening at the same time.
        It's basically a 2 week reality show these days.... and a bloated one at that... the IOC with their greed for money and adoration have wrecked what was ever special about it.

Comment

Seems like the easiest to get rid of are duplicate events - beach volleyball and 3 on 3 basketball. But I'm realistic. The first is very popular with the party crowd and the latter will probably move in that direction.
          . . .
          Last edited by cigar95; 07-17-2021, 03:36 PM.

Comment

a related 2-page thread from last July:

https://forum.trackandfieldnews.com/...it#post1706398

Comment

Originally posted by tm71 View Post
              The Olympics are way too bloated. How about start by removing sports like golf, tennis, soccer, basketball, baseball, boxing and a few others. If the Olympics isn’t the pinnacle in an athletes career competing in that sport then that sport shouldn’t be in the Olympics. For example any soccer player would say the World Cup is the pinnacle of their career. Similarly a tennis player would say Wimbledon, golf the masters or the open, World Series for baseball etc etc
              But they are doing exactly the opposite. 3on3 basketball? It looks like watching "White men can't jump."
              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Given the era we live in and have lived in since at least 1972, would distributing the games drive up security costs? It seems like securing a lot of sites would be more expensive than securing a single bigger site.

Comment

The best solution is just let the Olympics disappear... few would actually miss them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                    Given the era we live in and have lived in since at least 1972, would distributing the games drive up security costs? It seems like securing a lot of sites would be more expensive than securing a single bigger site.
                    They don't and can't secure a whole city; they try to secure the competition and training facilities. Whether those 20+ facilities are all in one city or distributed across 6 cities, I don't think that materially changes the security costs, unless nearly all the facilities are concentrated together in one downtown district or something like that. But distributing the sports across multiple cities will materially reduce the costs to build or upgrade the facilities and transportation infrastructure.
                    Last edited by 18.99s; 07-17-2021, 07:13 PM.

Comment

How would they do the opening and closing ceremonies, if the Olympics are spread across multiple countries?

Comment

How would they do the opening and closing ceremonies, if the Olympics are spread across multiple countries?
                        The magic of television, now in technicolor!

Ha, just being a bit silly. But for real, surley there's some sort of technical large scale zoomish thing that could be done? Each venue could contribute a feed to a central screen? ??
                        You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Let the Games … Be Gone?

After bidding scandals, human rights outrages, overburdened host cities, rampant cheating, a pandemic — and, sure, thrilling competitions — has the world had enough of the Olympics?

“The Olympics are unreformable, and I think on balance, they do more harm than good,” said David Goldblatt, author of “The Games: A Global History of the Olympics.”

In short, the Olympics are built on excess, tangled in geopolitics, rife with corruption and cheating. Each Olympic cycle raises uncomfortable questions about sustainability, environmental damage and human rights.

The Games are presented as apolitical, but that is both impossible and untrue. The honor of holding them has faded; the Olympics strain to attract host cities, which are often left staggering in the aftermath. Climate change is shrinking the map for viable locations, especially for the Winter Games.

The entire apparatus is run by a lever-pulling wizard, the powerful I.O.C. president — there have been only nine in 125 years, all white men, all from Europe besides one American. Thomas Bach currently oversees the 102-member committee. Most members attained their positions through political and business ties. At least 11 are members of royalty.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/17/s...-olympics.html

Comment

as much as the media likes to harp on how far the Olympics drove, for example, Montréal and Athens into debt, as I understand it, the IOC still draws great pleasure for what "urban renewal" does for Olympic cities.

As an example I have first-hand experience with, the Barcelona of '91 and the Barcelona of today is two different planets.
                            Candidate cities typically promise sparkling venues, ample hotel rooms and enthusiastic audiences, all demanded by the I.O.C., and present sweeping environmental goals and long-term impact plans that do not always come to fruition.

In Rio, the plan was to clean up the enormous Guanabara Bay, where raw sewage flows from millions of residents. Momentum for the project ended with the Olympics, and Rio’s venues have since fallen into disuse and disrepair — a fate shared with other Olympic sites.

Comment

they could just dispose of both and it would be fine by me!

Comment

they could just dispose of both and it would be fine by me!
                                I suppose more people feel that way, but they are still immensely popular worldwide, with huge viewership figures.

Comment

Working...
                                X