Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Powell View Post
    How would they do the opening and closing ceremonies, if the Olympics are spread across multiple countries?
    Super easy to do with the technology of today. But I'm with gh, cut both and we'll all be fine.

I'm actually more surprised that after all these years, they haven't introduced an Olympic halftime show of some sort...

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post

I'm actually more surprised that after all these years, they haven't introduced an Olympic halftime show of some sort...
      shhhhh! don't give them any damned ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
        as much as the media likes to harp on how far the Olympics drove, for example, Montréal and Athens into debt, as I understand it, the IOC still draws great pleasure for what "urban renewal" does for Olympic cities.

As an example I have first-hand experience with, the Barcelona of '91 and the Barcelona of today is two different planets.
        I lived in Beijing in the '90s. When I went back there for the '08 games it was like they had replaced most of the city.

Comment

The 'spreading out' approach is essentially where they're going with the winter games. Since the IOCs and TVs desire to hold the games in a major city and the realities of winter sports don't necessarily coincide. For the "Beijing" games next year the nordic skiing and snowboarding events will be held 140 miles away from the city. The 2 main sites of the "Milano-Cortina" games in 2026 are 255 miles apart, and a 4.5 hour drive or 5+ hour train ride via Venice since there's no direct route over the mountains.

Comment

Opening and closing ceremonies can be tedious but I am still in awe of Bejing.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
              Opening and closing ceremonies can be tedious but I am still in awe of Bejing.
              Were you in the Coliseum in '84? That was wonderful, if considerably simpler.

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post

I suppose more people feel that way, but they are still immensely popular worldwide, with huge viewership figures.
                Most TV viewers do not care how many athletes are in the parade. If 90% of the athletes were in other cities, that would be perfectly fine for the TV production.

Comment

i went to the Opening at my first Games, Munich, and never entertained thoughts of doing another (even though I hadd free admission to about a dozen of them).

similarly, went to Closing at my second, Montréal, and had same reaction.

Comment

Working...
                  X