Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gh
    replied
    i went to the Opening at my first Games, Munich, and never entertained thoughts of doing another (even though I hadd free admission to about a dozen of them).

similarly, went to Closing at my second, Montréal, and had same reaction.

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied
    Originally posted by Powell View Post

I suppose more people feel that way, but they are still immensely popular worldwide, with huge viewership figures.
    Most TV viewers do not care how many athletes are in the parade. If 90% of the athletes were in other cities, that would be perfectly fine for the TV production.

Leave a comment:

• cigar95
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
    Opening and closing ceremonies can be tedious but I am still in awe of Bejing.
    Were you in the Coliseum in '84? That was wonderful, if considerably simpler.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Opening and closing ceremonies can be tedious but I am still in awe of Bejing.

Leave a comment:

• Al in NYC
    replied
    The 'spreading out' approach is essentially where they're going with the winter games. Since the IOCs and TVs desire to hold the games in a major city and the realities of winter sports don't necessarily coincide. For the "Beijing" games next year the nordic skiing and snowboarding events will be held 140 miles away from the city. The 2 main sites of the "Milano-Cortina" games in 2026 are 255 miles apart, and a 4.5 hour drive or 5+ hour train ride via Venice since there's no direct route over the mountains.

Leave a comment:

• Al in NYC
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    as much as the media likes to harp on how far the Olympics drove, for example, Montréal and Athens into debt, as I understand it, the IOC still draws great pleasure for what "urban renewal" does for Olympic cities.

As an example I have first-hand experience with, the Barcelona of '91 and the Barcelona of today is two different planets.
    I lived in Beijing in the '90s. When I went back there for the '08 games it was like they had replaced most of the city.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by ATK View Post

I'm actually more surprised that after all these years, they haven't introduced an Olympic halftime show of some sort...
    shhhhh! don't give them any damned ideas!

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    How would they do the opening and closing ceremonies, if the Olympics are spread across multiple countries?
    Super easy to do with the technology of today. But I'm with gh, cut both and we'll all be fine.

I'm actually more surprised that after all these years, they haven't introduced an Olympic halftime show of some sort...

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied

they could just dispose of both and it would be fine by me!
    I suppose more people feel that way, but they are still immensely popular worldwide, with huge viewership figures.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    How would they do the opening and closing ceremonies, if the Olympics are spread across multiple countries?
    they could just dispose of both and it would be fine by me!

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    as much as the media likes to harp on how far the Olympics drove, for example, Montréal and Athens into debt, as I understand it, the IOC still draws great pleasure for what "urban renewal" does for Olympic cities.

As an example I have first-hand experience with, the Barcelona of '91 and the Barcelona of today is two different planets.
    Candidate cities typically promise sparkling venues, ample hotel rooms and enthusiastic audiences, all demanded by the I.O.C., and present sweeping environmental goals and long-term impact plans that do not always come to fruition.

In Rio, the plan was to clean up the enormous Guanabara Bay, where raw sewage flows from millions of residents. Momentum for the project ended with the Olympics, and Rio’s venues have since fallen into disuse and disrepair — a fate shared with other Olympic sites.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied

Let the Games … Be Gone?

After bidding scandals, human rights outrages, overburdened host cities, rampant cheating, a pandemic — and, sure, thrilling competitions — has the world had enough of the Olympics?

“The Olympics are unreformable, and I think on balance, they do more harm than good,” said David Goldblatt, author of “The Games: A Global History of the Olympics.”

In short, the Olympics are built on excess, tangled in geopolitics, rife with corruption and cheating. Each Olympic cycle raises uncomfortable questions about sustainability, environmental damage and human rights.

The Games are presented as apolitical, but that is both impossible and untrue. The honor of holding them has faded; the Olympics strain to attract host cities, which are often left staggering in the aftermath. Climate change is shrinking the map for viable locations, especially for the Winter Games.

The entire apparatus is run by a lever-pulling wizard, the powerful I.O.C. president — there have been only nine in 125 years, all white men, all from Europe besides one American. Thomas Bach currently oversees the 102-member committee. Most members attained their positions through political and business ties. At least 11 are members of royalty.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/17/s...-olympics.html

Leave a comment:

• scottmitchell74
    replied
    The magic of television, now in technicolor!

Ha, just being a bit silly. But for real, surley there's some sort of technical large scale zoomish thing that could be done? Each venue could contribute a feed to a central screen? ??

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave View Post
    Given the era we live in and have lived in since at least 1972, would distributing the games drive up security costs? It seems like securing a lot of sites would be more expensive than securing a single bigger site.
    They don't and can't secure a whole city; they try to secure the competition and training facilities. Whether those 20+ facilities are all in one city or distributed across 6 cities, I don't think that materially changes the security costs, unless nearly all the facilities are concentrated together in one downtown district or something like that. But distributing the sports across multiple cities will materially reduce the costs to build or upgrade the facilities and transportation infrastructure.
    Last edited by 18.99s; 07-17-2021, 07:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X