Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Will Folks Be Watching the Olympics in the States?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I may attempt to clarify: nbcolympics.com is NOT the same as peacocktv.com.

During the OT and OG, NBC provides wonderful streams to those whose subscription to a television provider (cable or satellite) includes NBC channels. If you are not such a subscriber, then subscribing to Peacock will not give you access to these streams. This is the good stuff mentioned by bad hammy .

On the other hand, for the Diamond League meetings, NBC provides wonderful streams to those who subscribe to Peacock. If you are not such a subscriber, then subscribing to a television provider (cable or satellite) will not give you access to these streams.

As I understand it, polevaultpower can confirm the veracity of this situation. She enjoys the DL streams with her Peacock subscription, but cannot access the OT and OG streams on nbcolympics.com, because there's no cable TV on Lopez Island, and nearby trees block her access to satellites.
    Last edited by Davidokun; 07-24-2021, 04:02 AM. Reason: Corrected Peacock URL

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

4K OTA (a.k.a ATSC 3.0 or NextGenTV) is available in some areas now (see the areas in orange on the page linked below). But that doesn't mean every channel in any given orange area is transmitting it yet.

https://www.atsc.org/nextgen-tv/deployments/
      Thanks. I'm SOL for the time being.
      Last edited by jazzcyclist; 07-24-2021, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Comcast Xfinity is the biggest cable provider here and Peacock is free with my cable package, so I have everything all the time!
        At first (the Tucson Throws) I was overwhelmed with 3 video windows open, 3 results tabs open, a tab to here, etc., (on dual 24" monitors), but now I'm old pro and am ready to completely OD on Oly T&F for the next 2 weeks!!
        Last edited by Atticus; 07-24-2021, 01:58 AM.

Comment

I'm sticking to the various NBC/Universal channels showing events, plus CBC on a 6 tuner DVR with expandable storage. I get Peacock through Comcast also, but don't anticipate I'll need to use it.

I record anything Olympics, but will weed out stuff in the upcoming record list that I am not interested in so there is less clutter.

Comment

Update

Evidently, some television providers also include Peacock in their package. (Mine does not.) Nevertheless, a subscription to a television provider—but not to Peacock—is required to view the wonderful OT and OG dedicated field-event and combined-event streams on nbcolympics.com. Conversely, a subscription to Peacock—but not to a television provider—is required to view the wonderful Diamond League streams on peacocktv.com.

Comment

So, I'm still a little confused.
              I'm in the USA, I don't have access to cable television. In previous years I subscribed to NBC sports gold for T&F coverage. This year I subscribed to Peacock, but haven't really figured out what I'm doing with it. I enjoyed some diamond league coverage, but couldn't find many days of Olympic Trials coverage.

​​​​​​Not having cable television, is there no way to get Olympic Games coverage in the USA? No subscription to NBC Olympics or anything like that?

Is VPN my only option to see Olympic coverage?

Comment

Originally posted by seagoat View Post
                So, I'm still a little confused.
                I'm in the USA, I don't have access to cable television. In previous years I subscribed to NBC sports gold for T&F coverage. This year I subscribed to Peacock, but haven't really figured out what I'm doing with it. I enjoyed some diamond league coverage, but couldn't find many days of Olympic Trials coverage.

​​​​​​Not having cable television, is there no way to get Olympic Games coverage in the USA? No subscription to NBC Olympics or anything like that?

The in-depth OG T&F coverage you want will be on nbcolympics.com. Unfortunately, as I wrote in my previous posts, a subscription to a television provider (cable or satellite)—but not to Peacock—is required. Some have speculated that one of the Internet television providers (YouTube TV, et al.) may also work, but I don't know. When nbcolympics.com asks me to select my television provider, the list I see only includes cable and satellite television providers.

Comment

Thank goodness we have a week to figure things out. I'm good on the CBC part but BBC will be the main thing I'm looking for. Just something about the announcers and extensive coverage I love. If BBC have blocked VPN's then I'll have to try and find a stream via a 3rd party site. NBC I don't care too much for, I'd just watch the condensed primetime coverage as a replay and record what I want.

Comment

I see that a lot of the morning program will be broadcast live on the USA Network.

Comment

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/athl...t1w5f62p1qmn9y

I have no idea if this info is trustworthy but it shows a fair amount of content on Peacock as well as the USA network jazz mentioned.

Comment

CBC via VPN is working fine right now.

Comment

Originally posted by seagoat View Post
                          It may not be your only option, but it may be your best and cheapest (never used Opera, but it's free).

Comment

Originally posted by Davidokun View Post

The in-depth OG T&F coverage you want will be on nbcolympics.com. Unfortunately, as I wrote in my previous posts, a subscription to a television provider (cable or satellite)—but not to Peacock—is required. Some have speculated that one of the Internet television providers (YouTube TV, et al.) may also work, but I don't know. When nbcolympics.com asks me to select my television provider, the list I see only includes cable and satellite television providers.
                            I have Youtube.tv and when I go to nbcolympics.com I just get switched to whichever NBC service is showing a particular event. If it's on Peacock, I end up on Peacock. I am a Peacock subscriber with no upgrade. If you want Men's Basketball it is another upgrade. So I assume nbcolympics allows for youtube.tv subscribers to watch whatever is not otherwise an upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Weights&Shoes View Post
                              Thank goodness we have a week to figure things out. I'm good on the CBC part but BBC will be the main thing I'm looking for. Just something about the announcers and extensive coverage I love. If BBC have blocked VPN's then I'll have to try and find a stream via a 3rd party site. NBC I don't care too much for, I'd just watch the condensed primetime coverage as a replay and record what I want.
                              I wouldn't bother with the BBC if I were you. Their coverage is far from extensive (field events? What are they?!). I'll be VPN'ing into CBC for the world feed rather than suffer the BBC's awful Athletics coverage!

Comment

Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post

I wouldn't bother with the BBC if I were you. Their coverage is far from extensive (field events? What are they?!). I'll be VPN'ing into CBC for the world feed rather than suffer the BBC's awful Athletics coverage!
                                Funny, when I went to check the VPN connections to CBC and the BBC this morning I could not find a live OG feed on the BBC other than some text feed. At the same time CBC had multiple live video feeds available.

Comment

Working...
                                X