Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steele View Post
    Dwight Stones is 67. Doubtless he's heard about Mr. Banks. Anyone have the ability to ask him if he can still jump and what he thinks he could clear?
    A better question would be what is the last time Stones jumped over anything? Banks has been jumping in Masters meets for more than the past 10 years, but has Stones even done a training jump in the past 20?

By the way, Stones still has the M40 world indoor record, 2.10m done in 1994.
    Last edited by 18.99s; 07-25-2021, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post

Ditto. I could dunk a soccer ball 'cuz I could grip it in one hand. Not so with a basketball, and with 2 hands, I lost most of my verticality.
      I find this recent thread interesting.

It's an assumption but I figured competitive HJers would handle dunking with ease, considering the bar height.
      Is it flexibility that sets you guy apart? The ability to warp around that bar?
      You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

At 5-9¼, but with pretty good hops and small hands, I managed to dunk a basketball once on a very bouncy (horsehair) floor.

Dunking a volleyball wasn't much of a problem on many floors.

What I was most proud of was still being able to reach the rim at age 40 from a stand on my concrete driveway.

Now I have trouble hitting the driveway

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
          A better question would be what is the last time Stones jumped over anything? Banks has been jumping in Masters meets for more than the past 10 years, but has Stones even done a training jump in the past 20?
          I believe Dwight still coaches, so it seems pretty plausible that he has attempted a jump in practice since he last competed at the masters level.

Comment

Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post
            I believe Dwight still coaches, so it seems pretty plausible that he has attempted a jump in practice since he last competed at the masters level.
            Unlike the rest of us, I'd guess Dwight's ego (not that it's that huge, but he does have a rep to protect) would not be amenable to even trying.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
              Unlike the rest of us, I'd guess Dwight's ego (not that it's that huge, but he does have a rep to protect) would not be amenable to even trying.
              thanks for the reminder of why Dwight felt compelled to cease being a contributor here in the early days of the board

Comment

Speaking of dunking, why stop there? (Photo of Valeriy Brumel touching the rim with the toe of his shoe.)
                https://www.strongfirst.com/wordpres...el-Jumping.jpg
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.
                Last edited by Charley Shaffer; 07-27-2021, 06:26 AM. Reason: Clarification for those who cannot see the photo.

Comment

Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post

Maybe 6 months after his last competition, but not 6 years or 16 years. Track & field coaches who continue to train or compete or even dabble in the sport after 45 are the exception.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                    thanks for the reminder of why Dwight felt compelled to cease being a contributor here in the early days of the board
                    What part of NOT didn't register? I've met him and my wife and I had a nice conversation with him. I've already identified him as my favorite commentator - what more do you need?

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      What part of NOT didn't register? I've met him and my wife and I had a nice conversation with him. I've already identified him as my favorite commentator - what more do you need?
                      I think I posted this a few years ago.. a good story about Stones;

I was at the NCAA meet one year at U. of Illinois in Champaign, and Dwight Stones was standing near me outside the stadium. Some about 11 year old asked me, in a low awe-struck voice, " Is that Dwight Stones next to you ? I'm a high jumper and want to maybe talk to him. Do you think he would talk to me and answer some high jumping questions ? " I said, yes, that's him, and sure, he would talk to you ! Anyhow the kid timidly approached Dwight, and he could not have been nicer and attentive with the youngster.

Comment

Did he make it to this board or did he abandon boards during the old track and field board which is now long enough ago that I can't recall either the name or whether it was a usenet group? Eventually it seemed that board split into this board and what eventually morphed into Letsrun with this board being the far better moderated board.

I found Stones a valuable poster and had a number of conversations with him offline. He was always pleasant to me even when I might challenge a comment of his.

Comment

I miss those days....Stones post were interesting indeed. David Oliver was another interesting poster.

Also Dwight's ego? Where did that come from...I love his field events commentary...he never sounded condescending....
                          Last edited by Conor Dary; 07-25-2021, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                            Also Dwight's ego? Where did that come from.
                            It didn't. Reread the post.

Comment

I managed to dunk a basketball once on a very bouncy (horsehair) floor.
                              What is a horsehair floor? I'm only aware of hardwood and synthetic (rubberized/Tartan).

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post

What is a horsehair floor? I'm only aware of hardwood and synthetic (rubberized/Tartan).
                                Like at Danceland in Saskatchewan...

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/sto...ach-watrous-sa

Comment

Working...
                                X