Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jc203
    replied
    This HJ guy is my hero. I jumped with him in some all-comers meets in the mid-1960's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCiRwCIKK0Y

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by gm View Post
    Like at Danceland in Saskatchewan...https://www.collectorsweekly.com/sto...ach-watrous-sa
    The floor is actually a 5000 square foot maple floor suspended over coils of horsetail hair on rollers.
    Never heard of such a thing, but sounds like a sprung gymnastics mat.

Leave a comment:

• Halfmiler2
    replied
    Since Dwight is 2+ years older than Willie, even if he broke any records, Willie would have a couple extra years to break them each time Dwight moves up an age group.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post

What is a horsehair floor? I'm only aware of hardwood and synthetic (rubberized/Tartan).
    Like at Danceland in Saskatchewan...

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/sto...ach-watrous-sa

Leave a comment:

• Bruce Kritzler
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    I managed to dunk a basketball once on a very bouncy (horsehair) floor.
    What is a horsehair floor? I'm only aware of hardwood and synthetic (rubberized/Tartan).

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Also Dwight's ego? Where did that come from.
    It didn't. Reread the post.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied

thanks for the reminder of why Dwight felt compelled to cease being a contributor here in the early days of the board
    I miss those days....Stones post were interesting indeed. David Oliver was another interesting poster.

Also Dwight's ego? Where did that come from...I love his field events commentary...he never sounded condescending....
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 07-25-2021, 08:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied

thanks for the reminder of why Dwight felt compelled to cease being a contributor here in the early days of the board
    Did he make it to this board or did he abandon boards during the old track and field board which is now long enough ago that I can't recall either the name or whether it was a usenet group? Eventually it seemed that board split into this board and what eventually morphed into Letsrun with this board being the far better moderated board.

I found Stones a valuable poster and had a number of conversations with him offline. He was always pleasant to me even when I might challenge a comment of his.

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    What part of NOT didn't register? I've met him and my wife and I had a nice conversation with him. I've already identified him as my favorite commentator - what more do you need?
    I think I posted this a few years ago.. a good story about Stones;

I was at the NCAA meet one year at U. of Illinois in Champaign, and Dwight Stones was standing near me outside the stadium. Some about 11 year old asked me, in a low awe-struck voice, " Is that Dwight Stones next to you ? I'm a high jumper and want to maybe talk to him. Do you think he would talk to me and answer some high jumping questions ? " I said, yes, that's him, and sure, he would talk to you ! Anyhow the kid timidly approached Dwight, and he could not have been nicer and attentive with the youngster.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    What part of NOT didn't register? I've met him and my wife and I had a nice conversation with him. I've already identified him as my favorite commentator - what more do you need?

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s
    replied
    Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post

I believe Dwight still coaches, so it seems pretty plausible that he has attempted a jump in practice since he last competed at the masters level.
    Maybe 6 months after his last competition, but not 6 years or 16 years. Track & field coaches who continue to train or compete or even dabble in the sport after 45 are the exception.

Leave a comment:

• Charley Shaffer
    replied
    Speaking of dunking, why stop there? (Photo of Valeriy Brumel touching the rim with the toe of his shoe.)
    https://www.strongfirst.com/wordpres...el-Jumping.jpg
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by Charley Shaffer; 07-27-2021, 06:26 AM. Reason: Clarification for those who cannot see the photo.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Unlike the rest of us, I'd guess Dwight's ego (not that it's that huge, but he does have a rep to protect) would not be amenable to even trying.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post
    I believe Dwight still coaches, so it seems pretty plausible that he has attempted a jump in practice since he last competed at the masters level.
    Unlike the rest of us, I'd guess Dwight's ego (not that it's that huge, but he does have a rep to protect) would not be amenable to even trying.

Leave a comment:

• wamego relays champ
    replied
    Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
    A better question would be what is the last time Stones jumped over anything? Banks has been jumping in Masters meets for more than the past 10 years, but has Stones even done a training jump in the past 20?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X