Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post

A big enough difference in degree is a difference in kind. Usually the improvement is lots of little bumps in an steadily increasing line, but the change to fiberglass poles was a sea change, even though it actually occurred over decades, the big jump was in the start as they learned how to make them. Here, we have a rather large bump rather than the incremental improvement. As with the vault, some athletes will gain more than others, and it will be this subset that sees the biggest improvement in the professional level of our sport.
    Perhaps, but thus far the sea change has largely been media generated. The two 400h hurdles records that were set were definitely something expected over the past few years. To have a number of people run PRs in an Olympic year is also not surprising. We’ll have to wait for the end of the season and see what the impact was before calling these spikes a change of kind.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinR View Post
      Hope that works out well for you, Fortius. Let us know what you think.
      Thanks Kevin!

I tried them last night at an All Comers meet in San Jose, CA. Unfortunately, because this season has been so different due to injuries, a late start, and limited access to all weather tracks I don't have many relevant data points to compare with. I have a rough feel of where I'm at, but that's not too precise. I ran a poorly executed 100 in 13.72 about six weeks ago.

The shoes definitely feel different immediately. It feels like you're walking on two half circles that just roll you forward from step to step. My warm-up on the track felt 'bouncy'. They definitely feel like they 'push' you forward.

For my 100, I thought ahead of time 13.4x would be best-case scenario, 13.5x ok, and 13.6x a disappointment. My lifetime PR is 13.09 from 2019, when I was running 13.3 consistently.

I ran 13.25.

I also ran 8.40 in the 60m. I ran 8.65 three weeks prior.

Comment

Who wants to run fast and have people think that it was really the spikes that led to the decrease time?

A lot more than everyone thinks you are using a PED....which has been the case for decades...

Poor Bolt....already whining....

Rage, rage against the dying of the light....
        Last edited by Conor Dary; 07-24-2021, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post

A big enough difference in degree is a difference in kind. Usually the improvement is lots of little bumps in an steadily increasing line, but the change to fiberglass poles was a sea change, even though it actually occurred over decades, the big jump was in the start as they learned how to make them. Here, we have a rather large bump rather than the incremental improvement. As with the vault, some athletes will gain more than others, and it will be this subset that sees the biggest improvement in the professional level of our sport.
          Decades? More like a few years....with the introduction of fibreglass in the early 60s....1963 alone brought a boatload of WRs.
          Last edited by Conor Dary; 07-24-2021, 09:32 PM.

Comment

We know a fast track and a head to head can mean fast times, look at Thompson and Schippers running 21.6 in 2015. So there is an explanation for those times though, the track and the World's, and they managed to back those times up somewhat the next year running 21.7 and 21.8 respectively.

Thomas's 21.6 and SAFP's 21.7 seem extraordinary this year. Thomas because she's never broken 22 and then did that, 2nd fastest ever, and SAFP because she's 34 and just isn't a great 200m runner. She's good, but not one of the best ever. I really do think the shoes gave some assistance, but whether its 0.3 who knows.

Comment

Working...
            X