Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Tokyo 64 to Tokyo 21

I leave for Tokyo on Saturday to work on my 9th Olympics with NBC. And with no spectators allowed, I might be the only one (or at least one of a lucky few) inside the stadium who was also in Tokyo for the 1964 Olympics! I was there as a member of the Track & Field News Tour group and sat next to Cordner and Mary Nelson as we watched Billy Mills win the 10,000 on the first day of my first Olympics. I was hooked on the Olympics from that day on.

I’ve been looking forward to completing this circle ever since Tokyo was awarded the Games in 2013, but, of course, had no way of knowing what the circumstances would be in 2021. The restrictions we’ll be facing in Tokyo will take some of the joy away from the usual Olympic experience, but it’s still the Olympics and we’ll make the best of a difficult situation.

What a thrill and honor, Walt! I hope you have a wonderful time. Safe travels!

Comment

in trying to think of athletes who are now in administration, IOC member Kip Keino might be someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
        IOC member Kip Keino might be someone else.
        Now that would be an honor to be linked with Kip!😀

Comment

Love ❤️ this

Comment

What a great circle to complete!

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Murphy View Post
              I leave for Tokyo on Saturday to work on my 9th Olympics with NBC. And with no spectators allowed, I might be the only one (or at least one of a lucky few) inside the stadium who was also in Tokyo for the 1964 Olympics! I was there as a member of the Track & Field News Tour group and sat next to Cordner and Mary Nelson as we watched Billy Mills win the 10,000 on the first day of my first Olympics. I was hooked on the Olympics from that day on.

I’ve been looking forward to completing this circle ever since Tokyo was awarded the Games in 2013, but, of course, had no way of knowing what the circumstances would be in 2021. The restrictions we’ll be facing in Tokyo will take some of the joy away from the usual Olympic experience, but it’s still the Olympics and we’ll make the best of a difficult situation.
              Enjoy!
              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Dawn Fraser was supposed to be going with the Australian team (as legend/mentor) but covid has kept her at home.

Hope you have a terrific time and lots of new special moments from Tokyo.

Comment

Wow that’s too cool!!

Comment

Who is the current Bud Greenspan who would film "Return to Tokyo," featuring Walter Murphy and Kipchoge Keino?

Sounds like a perfect NBC piece.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Murphy View Post

Definitely jealous, Have a good trip.

Hope you think of us commoners watching from our living rooms.

Comment

According to Walt's NBC colleagues, Emperor Naruhito attended the 1964 Games as a four year-old. I guess that counts.

Comment

Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post
                          According to Walt's NBC colleagues, Emperor Naruhito attended the 1964 Games as a four year-old. I guess that counts.
                          I'm in good company! Thanks for all the well-wishes.

Comment

Working...
                          X