Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATK
    replied
    Update as I was wrong...Noah Lyles looks to just have left for Tokyo today. Which is strange because his coach and his entire training group who qualified (both Americans and international members) and almost the entire American team are already in Tokyo.

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Aleia Hobbs posted from from Tokyo yesterday, well over 5 days before she would have to run, so maybe they are practicing.
    Yes, all the sprinters (both 4x100 and 4x400) are now in the Olympic village so they can start practice. But they have not done any beforehand as is usually the case (granted practice still produced sporadic results for the men anyway).

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by ATK View Post
    Just based on social media, I'm pretty sure there has been no relay practice. Athletes like Bromell, Lyles, Bednarek, Baker, Oliver, Daniels, G Thomas, Prandini etc all pretty active online and have all just been with their regular training groups.

I would have figured Bromell (Jacksonville), Lyles (Clermont), Bednarek (Orlando) could have gotten together. Also Prandini and Daniels train together and Thomas (different group) are all based in Austin so could have possibly done something.
    Aleia Hobbs posted from from Tokyo yesterday, well over 5 days before she would have to run, so maybe they are practicing.

Leave a comment:

• booond
    replied
    Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post

But the fact that some athletes are still only now flying in, regardless of whether they are traveling West or East...I don't know, I think they are under estimating the fatigue, especially with the added delays due to covid testing when they get there. I guess we'll soon see (and hear) whether it is affecting them.
    Depends on when their event is scheduled.

Leave a comment:

• Wiederganger
    replied
    Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
    I don't know how much difference it makes that the Dutch are flying east and going forward in team while the Americans are flying west and going back in time (if you ignore crossing the International Date Line!). I do know that jetlag tends to have more of an affect when flying east from the US to Europe than vice-versa.
    Flying East is indeed supposed to be worse, and one of the reasons why the traveled so early. I think they were the first team in Japan, from an athletics perspective. Other than the Japanese 😀

The Dutch are going to the Olympic Village today - they have been based a 1 hour drive away in Chiba. But the fact that some athletes are still only now flying in, regardless of whether they are traveling West or East...I don't know, I think they are under estimating the fatigue, especially with the added delays due to covid testing when they get there. I guess we'll soon see (and hear) whether it is affecting them.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Just based on social media, I'm pretty sure there has been no relay practice. Athletes like Bromell, Lyles, Bednarek, Baker, Oliver, Daniels, G Thomas, Prandini etc all pretty active online and have all just been with their regular training groups.
    Do ya smell what the Rock is cookin'? He's cooking dropped batons!

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
    Does anyone know if the relay team has practiced at all?

I would have figured Bromell (Jacksonville), Lyles (Clermont), Bednarek (Orlando) could have gotten together. Also Prandini and Daniels train together and Thomas (different group) are all based in Austin so could have possibly done something.

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied
    As has been the case for the past year+, they had to do some risk analysis, especially considering the state of the virus and vaccinations in Japan.
    Give the athletes more time in Japan but risk more likely exposure to covid and being sent home (even with all the precautions). Or reduce the amount of time they are in Japan while still giving them just enough time to adjust.
    Other Team USA sports did training camps in Japan or Hawaii. I thought USATF/USOPC would at least offer the athletes the option to stay in Chula Vista leading up to the Games...

Does anyone know if the relay team has practiced at all?

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

But those pre-Games travel restrictions are USATF's or USOC's decision, not Japan's, as other countries had athletes arriving in Tokyo over 2 weeks ago.
    As has been the case for the past year+, they had to do some risk analysis, especially considering the state of the virus and vaccinations in Japan.
    Give the athletes more time in Japan but risk more likely exposure to covid and being sent home (even with all the precautions). Or reduce the amount of time they are in Japan while still giving them just enough time to adjust.

Plus, the athletes were told a while back (JuVaughn Harrison did an interview 3 weeks ago explaining the timeline jazz noted above). So they likely did as much preparation before hand to reduce the effects of jetlag and fatigue as much as possible once they arrive. Majority of the team have international experience or are working with coaches and teams who are well experienced.

I'm not really worried at all about jetlag concerns.

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied
    Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

But those pre-Games travel restrictions are USATF's or USOC's decision, not Japan's, as other countries had athletes arriving in Tokyo over 2 weeks ago.
    Yup. The city that was hosting USATF's team camp was surprised they bailed.

COVID is being used as an excuse, but honestly, I think this will be worse. I'm seeing lots of people have to quarantine after an exposure on the plane. Even if they can still compete, being that much more restricted is going to be hard on athletes.

COVID rates are skyrocketing in the US and a lot of our athletes either think they are invincible because they either got vaccinated or had COVID, or don't understand how COVID transmission happens.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    From what I'm seeing on social media and in athletes interviews these past few weeks, basically this was earliest most US track athletes were even able to travel. They didnt have a choice as there were restrictions on when they can come and how long they can stay after their event is over in most cases..
    That is correct. I spoke to an Olympic athlete yesterday. and being surprised to still see here in Louisiana, she told me that the earliest she can arrive in Tokyo is 5 days before here event starts and she must leave Tokyo within 2 days after her event finishes.

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s
    replied
    From what I'm seeing on social media and in athletes interviews these past few weeks, basically this was earliest most US track athletes were even able to travel. They didnt have a choice as there were restrictions on when they can come and how long they can stay after their event is over in most cases.

Leave a comment:

• Trickstat
    replied
    Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post
    During the livestream of the Centrowitz mile last night from Portland, I think the commentators said something about many of the Bowerman TC teammates being in Hawaii, which I presume would be to help help spread out the time zone adjustment.
    Also, even without the timezone issues, a trans-Pacific flight must be pretty tiring so breaking it into 2 parts must be helpful.

Leave a comment:

• wamego relays champ
    replied
    During the livestream of the Centrowitz mile last night from Portland, I think the commentators said something about many of the Bowerman TC teammates being in Hawaii, which I presume would be to help help spread out the time zone adjustment.

Leave a comment:

• Trickstat
    replied
    I don't know how much difference it makes that the Dutch are flying east and going forward in team while the Americans are flying west and going back in time (if you ignore crossing the International Date Line!). I do know that jetlag tends to have more of an affect when flying east from the US to Europe than vice-versa.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X